Comon Things People Dont Realise About Your Breed

MonElite

Alot of people think whippets are gentle soft dogs, and they are, to a point, they hunting dogs though and are deadly on little fluffies. Not all whippets I suppose, I have a friend whose dogs have rabbits hopping around unharmed on her property. That wouldn't happen here though.

Agree. A lot of folk also assume that any high prey drive dog will harm their kiddies too - not so. I tired of people (some with their own sighthounds) tell me that Whippets are somehow untrainable. That's rubbish. Sure they ain't Border Collies but they can be trained.

I agree, my Whippet have been easoier to train than my Dobes ever were.

Whippets are highly trainable you just have to go about it the right way

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 things about my Staffords....

1. That they will maul you if they do not know you and will generally attack anyone. Although I would like potential intruders to believe that my dogs are capable of that my two will lick you to death before any mauling could occur. I'm sure that most dogs confronted may be capable of doing damage if threatened but my two would definitely not be at the top of the list. In fact as you got out of your car they would be jumping in onto your lap for a ride up to the house!

2. They need to be outside dogs because they're too crazy for inside. While my 1st staffy IS crazy my 2 are lap dogs and wouldn't have it any other way. Especially not outside.

Misconception about westies – people think they are lapdogs ….. they are NOT … they are terriers who can be stubborn!!

Misconception about Maltese (not my breed) – they are NOT terriers ….. they ARE lapdogs!

So if you want a white lapdog - get a Maltese and not a westie!

That labradors are supposed to be huge, and sedentary. I always get comments on how small my labs are (the female is on the low end of the breed standard, but the male is right in the middle of it) and "gee those are the most energetic labs I've ever seen, they don't stop do they?"

And no, they're not all born guide dogs. Any blind person who followed either of my labs would have to want to appear in Jackass: The Movie.

2 things about my Staffords....

1. That they will maul you if they do not know you and will generally attack anyone. Although I would like potential intruders to believe that my dogs are capable of that my two will lick you to death before any mauling could occur. I'm sure that most dogs confronted may be capable of doing damage if threatened but my two would definitely not be at the top of the list. In fact as you got out of your car they would be jumping in onto your lap for a ride up to the house!

2. They need to be outside dogs because they're too crazy for inside. While my 1st staffy IS crazy my 2 are lap dogs and wouldn't have it any other way. Especially not outside.

i reckon staffords need to be outside dogs those farts peeeeww i thought my rotti was bad to i met a stafford and they let one rip rofl he even cleared himself from the room :laugh:

That labradors are supposed to be huge, and sedentary. I always get comments on how small my labs are (the female is on the low end of the breed standard, but the male is right in the middle of it) and "gee those are the most energetic labs I've ever seen, they don't stop do they?"

And no, they're not all born guide dogs. Any blind person who followed either of my labs would have to want to appear in Jackass: The Movie.

:rofl:

That they are not called ROCK WEELERS they are called Rottweilers

And that as a Training instructor once said to me " the reason they are called ROCK WEELERS... is that you have to have ROCKS in your head to own one!!!!!!!!"

Samoyeds

They are not hard to keep clean or groom. They don't need to be brushed everyday and they don't need to be washed every week, they are teflon coated, the dirt shakes out, even after they have been playing in muddy flooded paddocks all day. They don't need to be shaved, everrrrrrr ;) Even when it is 45 degrees they are still jumping around the ring in full coat while their pathetic owner has taken refuge somewhere and is possibly suffering from heat stress :o:rofl:

Sibes

They are not part wolf and they are not going to attack too. In fact if you broke into my house whilst I was out they would probably help you load up the van then they would come with you. They are not loyal at all everyone is their new best friend. They can be trained even to shock horror recall :eek::laugh: it just takes perseverance ;) but don't ever expect to do a trial with them because they will choose this exact moment to stick their fingers up at you and run the other way :shrug::wave:

That all GSDs are for protection especially if you are a single female-- Nope, sorry I have my GSD because I have been in love with the breed ever since I was a toddler and I had my first one :rofl: . So there goes the ''oh you have a GSD for protection'' thing- nuh huh I have a GSD because I love the breed.

GSDs are all capable of instinctly doing Protection or Schutzhund work. Sorry but that takes a LOT of training, and not all GSDs have the personality for it. Brennan certainly does not have it in her to do Protection or Schutzhund.. And I would rather you did not try and shove your arm in her mouth whilst telling her to ''Bite'' ( as a previous housemate once tried--don't stress I told him off and monitored their interactions after that).

GSDs are outside dogs. Actually, they rather enjoy being with the family. Please do not get one and leave them outside alone all the time.

GSDs are easily trained. They are smart yes, but like everything training takes time, patience and dedication. Just because they are intelligent does not mean you don't have to work with them on training.

Questions I always get asked about my JRT's,

'Are they puppies?' - No they are small dogs, can you not see how well muscled they are? Puppies don't look like that!

'I bet they are real terrors.' - Not really, they are active and like to bark while playing but they are also obedient and well behaved (most of the time :rofl: )

Doberman's are big sooks and are happiest when having a cuddle with their human.

Also that dogs can be what I call 'racist'. As in my old Dobe hated ALL Rottweilers and SBT's. Male, female, didn't matter he just hated those 2 breeds with a passion!

Another example is my sister has a Boxer that hates all big black dogs. Breed and sex doesn't matter he just hates them all.

Corgis are not viscious! For the most part (I guess there are still some with poor temperaments) gone are the days of nasty Corgis chasing the postman, biting the ankles of visitors etc.

:rofl: the stories I hear from epople who had one when they were a kid and now coming back to get one to raise with their own kids...

Edited by Aziah

Border Collie - You have to run them for hours and hours a day. Sure Quinn needs to get out and do stuff and I DO need to put a lot of effort into her but she needs interaction and stimulation not blind activity.

And tat they arn't meant to love strangers, sure there are plenty that do and Quinn is quiet friendly when she does meet people but if we arn't actively introducing her to them then she's pretty happy to do her own thing.

yep, x 2.

German Shepherds do not need a huge yard to live they would much prefer to be in the house with you. I also find they do not require the hours of exercise that many would lead you to believe

See I would say the opposite! I find most people don't realise they're a working breed like a border collie or kelpie, and obviously it depends on the bloodlines, butsome of them do need LOTS of exercise and mental stimualtion to be happy

That Bullmastiffs are NOT about to rip you apart. They are not boxers or classed as a dangerous dog and they are wonderful with kids.

I'm sorry, but the way that that reads sounds like you are saying boxers are about to rip you apart, are dangeous and bad with kids :rofl:

Probably just the way it reads :laugh: Coz Boxers are amazing with kids! :wave: And I've never met a nasty one.

Misconception with my breed (Boxers) : That they are dumb and can't be trained- they are very trainable and intelligent, the training just has to be fun! Also alot of people seem to think they are "mini bulldogs" :eek: Which makes no sense.

Misconception with Sibes: That they are aggressive, babykillers! :shrug:: My boy (and the girl i show) has not been brought up with kids, but is so amazing, gentle and tolerant with them! (especially at the royal!)

Edited by boxagirl

1. There is no such thing as an ENGLISH Staffordshire Bull Terrier

2. There is no sucht thing as a Staffordshire Terrier. The breeds are Staffordshire BULL Terrier and AMERICAN Staffordshire Terrier

2. It does not make you tough if you own one. Balls are grown and attached not purchased.

3. There is no such thing as a pure black Stafford

4. Staffords make very poor "guard dogs". They do however make very good "watch dogs" because they will happily watch a burglar walk away with your TV and DVD and more than likely hop in the car with them.

I was guilty of this myself.

I never realised how dog unsocial as a breed dobermanns are. Its a big generalisation of course as there are plenty very social dobes, but as a breed they are not really dog friendly.

What is it about your breed?

My boy is a freak lol. Entire male, very protective, but incredibly social. Loves to meet and play with new and old dog friends, and loves to meet new people. Just yesterday, we had a couch delivered, and he goes from not letting them enter the property, not charging them, but blocking the doorway and barking and growling enough to stop 3 huge guys, to the second I appear and say hi, putting his ears back and putting on his cute face, ready for giving and receiving love.

But yeah I agree with you, he is definitely the exception. I used to always get so excited when I saw another dobe, thinking mine would like to play with them, but now I don't bother even approaching, because best case scenario, they're totally dismissive, worst, they try and attack your dog.

Don't you just love the way they follow your lead?

When a strange car comes in, she won't let any sensble person exit it until I'm there AND being friendly towards them.

One truckie jumped out before we got there one day and threatened her. Why couldn't he wait rather than risk dog attack? Idiot. I still miantain that if she had been some other dog or breed of dog, he would have regretted it. He later told my DH that he had recently been bitten by a Rottie. I wonder how come? :rofl:

If it's the JWs and I stand back and act a bit offish", she will round up the car and snap at any protruding body part ...until they get the hint. :eek:

I think our Dobes would play. Jacqui :laugh:

They are not precious little lap dogs, especially my hairless one. With his waterproof trouser suit on, he would happily run for a couple of hours through the forests in scotland, easily keeping up with a pack of spaniels :rofl:

And no I don't shave him - it's natural :eek:

Please tell me he actually has a waterproof trouser suit. And if so.. pictures?