The Dog Smell

Brennan's Mum

We found that our house used to smell when we had carpet. So we removed the carpet in the main living areas (not bedrooms) and laid hardwood timber flooring. And on the weekends we open up the house - seems to work a treat. The only time it's bad is when the dogs need a wash, and we're the ones who comment on it, not others. If I ask a family member if the house pongs they are honest and say yes or no, but these days it's mostly no.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I saw the thread on the Odour Go product mentioned in post 14 - everyone raves about it. So i bought some myself cos Im worried about the smell from all the dogs in my house. I chose the 'no scent' flavour - and disappointingly, my house now smells like a public toilet block after its been cleaned. Its not an unclean smell, but it is very 'municipal'. Am I doing something wrong? Are the other scents better?

Edited by KKDD

I saw the thread on the Odour Go product mentioned in post 14 - everyone raves about it. So i bought some myself cos Im worried about the smell from all the dogs in my house. I chose the 'no scent' flavour - and disappointingly, my house now smells like a public toilet block after its been cleaned. Its not an unclean smell, but it is very 'municipal'. Am I doing something wrong? Are the other scents better?

Maybe try another scent?

VJB kindly gave me some of her Apple to try and I fell in love with it. I ended up buying a 5ltr bottle of the lemon scent (nice, but I think I prefer the Apple so far) and in 6months, I've probably only used a quarter of it. I pour some in the rinse cycle of all his bedding, couch covers etc. I also spray the diluted stuff on the floor when I'm mopping.

Basically, I use it everywhere :thumbsup:

Sounds good.

I was not too happy with the scent options for the Penetrator Plus, so I looked further and went into the "Hospitality" section.

I'm thinking of getting the Ozona Room Reviver in Vanilla.

I only have the one dog and she's not all that smelly. :rasberry:

I can't see that it would be any different. As it is slightly more expensive, it might even be better? :thumbsup:

Yes I think I actually asked about the other scents in the hospitality section of the website.... especially the vanilla scent. The reply I got was that there are specific odours that bond with a particular scent well.... this is why there are different sections for different needs. But, on a whole, for an average dog owner, any of the scents would work, but for boarding kennels etc, then it is best to use the products from the actual pet odour list.

As far as the difference between odour go and other urine products, ..... well, odour go is just for odour removal, as well as a hospital grade disinfectant.... it bonds with odour molecule and kills the odour. The urine off type products have an ingredient in them to break down the urine enzymes, so these products probably have quite different uses. I did use urine off when Heidi was a puppy, and I would prefer that as a complete removal of urine enzymes,,,, because the odour go products probably aren't made for that purpose.

The other flavours are definitely worth trying. I love the Talc. The natural scent is actually one of my favourites, nice, fresh and clean. The apple is also great. I have the lemon, but like stormie, I think I prefer the apple.

I must be odd but I actually like dog smell :laugh: I find it comforting :thumbsup::rasberry:

So long as I know my house is clean and my dogs and their bedding is clean I have no problem with it.

I am the same. My partner thinks I am bonkers, but I definitely find it comforting :)

It sounds like you do a lot already to mimise the doggy smell, so maybe your guest isnt around dogs much or is just sensitive to odours. I know some poeple who think every dog they meet smells, whereas I cant smell a thing?? So maybe get a second opinion from another friend or family member?

Hi Brennan's Mum

What you are doing isss great but what a lot of people tend to forget is that dogs brush against walls. So every 3 months I get very brave and use Sugar Soap (available in Coles or Woolworths or Bunnings) to wash the walls down with. I only wash from about waist high down as I have GSD's and this helps eliminate the last of the smells.

I also wipe down the front of all the wooden furniture the dogs walk past as well.

Hoe this additional tip works for you.

Cheers

Thanks for that information, VJB. :thumbsup:

It's been pretty humid/wet around here in the lst month and doggie odour has been more noticeable. I don't think Kaisie has been so well groomed in a long time. She's shining big time. :rasberry:

I do agree - quite rude of the guest/s to mention it.

When I was a kid, I used to spend a LOT of time with a friend and her Mum a few blocks away. They had all sorts of animals including 4 Pekes.

The house was carpeted too. And whenever one stepped over the babay gate at the front door, there would be these 4 OTT dogs at your legs, sniffing, snorting all over and licking your legs.

The place smelt like dog big time. But hey were lovely people and the house was clean. I loved going there and got used to the doggy smell. Never once said anything about it. I guess one accpts thse things more when young. :laugh:

I don't like to come home to my place after it has been locked up a few hours in the summer and smell an unpleasant odour. Kaisie stays outside when we are out.

Putting the yoghurt in her breakfast every day has been a good idea. :)

Um, honestly, and it's just my opinion, but anyone who comes into your house and criticises how it smells needs a kick in the arse.

I have my cats and I won't burn oils, or scented candles, or use air fresheners in this house - cats' systems aren't good at eliminating toxins and pollutants, like humans, and even dogs, are. Burning essential oils and using strongly scented air fresheners in small spaces can cause health problems in cats so I just don't do it.

If I want the place to smell good, I cook - master stock on the boil for instance, or ground coffee and fresh bread. Otherwise I open the windows to air the place, keep the litter trays clean, and wash the dog's bed (canvas trampoline bed) once a week, and put a fresh towel on his bed every three or four days. Anyone who came into my house and said 'ooo this place smells of [whatever]' wouldn't be getting an invitation back.

make that x3!!! As far as I,m concerned it's their home.!! Don't care what humans say, Should'nt be judged either. It's a Dogs World. :shrug::)

Um, honestly, and it's just my opinion, but anyone who comes into your house and criticises how it smells needs a kick in the arse.

I have my cats and I won't burn oils, or scented candles, or use air fresheners in this house - cats' systems aren't good at eliminating toxins and pollutants, like humans, and even dogs, are. Burning essential oils and using strongly scented air fresheners in small spaces can cause health problems in cats so I just don't do it.

If I want the place to smell good, I cook - master stock on the boil for instance, or ground coffee and fresh bread. Otherwise I open the windows to air the place, keep the litter trays clean, and wash the dog's bed (canvas trampoline bed) once a week, and put a fresh towel on his bed every three or four days. Anyone who came into my house and said 'ooo this place smells of [whatever]' wouldn't be getting an invitation back.

make that x3!!! As far as I,m concerned it's their home.!! Don't care what humans say, Should'nt be judged either. It's a Dogs World. :shrug::)

I must be odd but I actually like dog smell :laugh: I find it comforting :p :laugh:

So long as I know my house is clean and my dogs and their bedding is clean I have no problem with it.

I am the same. My partner thinks I am bonkers, but I definitely find it comforting :laugh:

I'm with these two :mad

I must admit if they get to a certain stage of smelly they will get a bath and I always make sure their bedding is clean.

but a normal amount of doggie smell makes my house a home :D

I have 4 dogs and 3 cats. The dogs are not allowed on the furniture unless invited to do so, and i keep the kitty litter in the laundry and it's always clean. Sure can tell when the blue heeler farts though :laugh:

Afterthought: Maybe I don't notice because I work with animals too??

Thanks for all the suggestions guys keep them comming went out today and brought some scented candles from the cheep shop so going to light those and see how they go also went to the Odourgo website and am waiting to hear back from them about the ozona penetrator as well.

My 3 shepherds live inside and I got rid of my fabric lounge and bought a leather one, have tiles all through bath them regulary wash their beds each weekend but put them out in the sun in the day time. The secret is to vacumn and empoty the vacumn or the smell will stay. Scented candles and windows open a lot also if you have a evaporative air con tip disinfectant in it.

I mop most days as well.

Um my house is for the comfort of my dogs and me and noone else.