'unusual' Looking Dogs

CrazyCresties

This is my Stimpy, I have had so many people tell me she is the ugliest dog they have EVER seen, someone even said she looked like a bat earred rat.

Stimpy020.jpg

I think she's beautiful and she is the most loyal dog I have ever owned to the point of worshiping the ground I walk on and honestly I wouldn't care if she looked like a squashed cockroach I would still love her to bits.

Stimpy looks like a total sweetheart! Those people were obviously mad! She is very cute!

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:grouphug: :grouphug: :cry: :p :clap: :clap: :):rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Must say I am LOVING this thread!!!

Someone had a Griffon bruxellois at training yesterday, and having not seen one for a long, long time, I just stared, smiled and giggled at him - in a nice way of course!

The owner was very good natured about it, and the little man was too.

I just can't help smiling at unusual looking dogs - whether they be crosses or pure. Their happy little faces just make me want to giggle and cuddle them!

xKALIx - Shishka is a stunning creature! I too would stare, and be curious about her heritage, but in a friendly way ;)

Mim - Muddy is stunning!! Looks part fox to me ;) :cry:

Leanne - "if I kick it up the bum will its face pop out" PMSL It's nasty, but I can't help laugh! Haven't heard that one before, will have to tell my Frenchy owner friend, she'll get a laugh out of it. And I love th bunny comment

All the pictures posted so far - GORGEOUS animals!! Their 'quirks' are a bit part of their personality.

And I'm sure people who bring their dogs into work (especially the Cresty owners) probably think I'm nuts when I bounce over to them with a treat in my hand and start cooing over their pets!

Having had a Bull Terrier, Staffy's and a Rotty too, I'm used to the interesting comments about my 'vicious' dogs, and the wide berths. Every time there's an attack by a 'staffy' reported in the paper, Abby goes from getting loves and cuddles from strangers, to being avoided like a rotting corpse.

My Rotty is tall and long, so people frequently ask me what he's crossed with. Sigh.

post-14358-1289167040_thumb.jpg

I have lots of people asking what breed Amber is because she is a sable border collie. The majority of people think she is lovely so it is usually a positive experience. I'm on red soil so the borders white bits are all a bit apricot coloured. Stacks of people stop and say what a gorgeous colour the black & apricot ones are! That is pretty funny. Every second person wants to know what breed my friend's Belgian Shepherd is too.

Well I never thought that red dobermans were a rare thing (dobermans on the whole seem to be pretty rare I guess though) but my dog has been correctly identified about 5 times in his whole life - and this is a dog who meets a lot of people. The most common breeds people tell me he is (they don't usually ask, they just tell me) are kelpie cross, weim, vizsla and by little kids, a scooby doo. One time though, a guy came up to us and told me he was hungarian and he loved my hungarian vizsla. I said, oh actually he's a doberman, but vizslas are great dogs too and do look similar (not really but you know) and he got angry and told me I was wrong and that he'd had dogs for 100 years or whatever and would know etc.

And for the person who is enjoying seeing all the photos, here he is

76213_452285522190_516537190_6073551_5852789_n.jpg

I have a GAP Greyhound. The most common thing I get asked is 'aren't greyhounds vicious?'

The next common thing I get is along the lines of 'gee, I bet you have to excercise her a lot?'

:grouphug:

of course there is also the ' your dog is too skinny'......

I have been pleasantly surprised that I have had very few 'vicious' comments with my two. I do get asked why they have to wear a muzzle. And increasingly I am getting more of 'its so unfair that greyhounds have to wear those muzzles. I have heard they are lovely dogs' :cry:

Get the skinny comments regularly though.

Oscar (italian greyhound) was once called a 'little rat thing' :grouphug: but mostly we get the 'oh what a lovely whippet'. And have had a few people argue that there is no such thing as an italian greyhound...

I dont think there is such a thing as an ugly dog.

They all have great qualities.

Especially Cresties, I met Blacklabs, when she came through here a few years ago.

Her crestie flirted with Fifi's Wolfhound.

It was great to see.

This is Odie, JRT X Chi. Mostly people say that he is 'interesting' looking but I have been told that he is the 'ugliest dog I've ever seen'!

Personally I think he is adorable. He has greenish/yellowish coloured eyes and a chocolate nose and has the biggest personality of any dog I've ever met.

post-35373-1289170992_thumb.jpg

post-35373-1289171003_thumb.jpg

post-35373-1289171015_thumb.jpg

I have Lappies, so I get asked all the time what breed.

However, my girl Sohvi (we call her Sausage, becuase she's rather silly) even has showies asking what breed! I even had a judge try to rub off her spectacle markings once, she thought I had chalked in her eyes!! :grouphug::cry: LOL

sohvired.jpg

sohvistand.jpg

sohviprofile.jpg

I have had both of my dogs called "ugly" to my face!

The first was my handsome dark brindle stafford boy, the second is my lovely malinois girl.

I don't care - I think it's quite funny. Neither of the people were trying to be offensive, just saying what was on their minds. There are lots of breeds I find unattractive, and though I don't usually tell the owners that, I also think they'd be silly to take mortal offence if I did.

If you get a dog that is very unusual looking, I think you just have to be prepared that some people will find them unattractive, and some people will tell you so.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and the "best" dog isn't necessarily the prettiest one anyway. If you love your dog, he will be handsome to you. :mad

Edited by Staranais

Try having a smooth collie!!! I get the occasional person who says I can see it's a collie by his head but what did you do with his coat? When people ask me "what is it"? I just say "Lassie was having a bad hair day so I had to cut all his hair off" ..... this usually gets a giggle and I go on to explain that there are actually 2 types of collie's available and he is a smooth collie. Everybody I have spoken to about him has appreciated the information and gone away a little bit wiser...

xKALIx - Shishka is a stunning creature! I too would stare, and be curious about her heritage, but in a friendly way :laugh:

thanks, Annette! Most people are really nice to her, and she forces pats and treats out of everyone at the beach. Mostly she just gets weird stares but a lot of those people have a smile and a pat for her so I can't fault them for it.

The worst thing that I hate is being put down for her being skinny. I think she's slightly underweight but as hard as I try I can't keep weight on her. She's very healthy and you don't get an 11 year old basset or GSD in as good a condition as she is so I get defensive when people mention it.

WHat some gorgeous dogs we have in here.

I love the BAsset X GSD. What an amazing looking dog.

I would never tell someone their dog is ugly it is just too rude.

I've never seen a similar cross either and there was only two in the litter so she's extra special to me.. I've always wondered where her brother is, the people who bought him lived around the bayside area of Melbourne but that's all I know. I would hope he's still alive and well.

Having a Swedish Vallhund puppy with me has striked up a lot of conversations about his breed! Some people are like "OMG he looks like a possum!", but most of them guess he's a German Shepherd/cross. It's become a bit laborious to keep telling them he's a SV, so I just call him a Viking Dog now :laugh:

I saw my first one last year when a customer bought one into the shop. He was so sweet and had a lovely nature.

This is Shishka. She's a German Shep x Basset (not sure if there's anything else in there too.)

26781_378968152462_687947462_4788040_6779674_n.jpg

26781_378961032462_687947462_4787944_2862152_n.jpg

Those ears are just spectacular! I bet you could win a lot of 'biggest ears' contests with those.... I wouldn't have picked the basset in the mix until I saw the ears.

I love Mim's Muddy too - he's such a gorgeous happy chap!