First Time Mum, C-section And Singleton Puppy

kemulvak

Ijust arrived home from the vet with my bitch and singleton puppy after a c-section. Any suggestions in introducing pup to mum? He has suckled at the vets, but she growled just now when I let her sniff him. Should I wait a while? Any siggestions greatly appreciated.

She is probably quite disoriented from the anaesthesia.

You may need to put him on the teat and gently but firmly use your other arm to keep her head away at first. Talk to her and encourage her to lay down and settle.

If she is still wary, you may need to do this at each feed for a day or two and have him safely in a warm box.

You can also express a bit of milk onto him and very carefully encase him in your hand and very carefully let her smell and lick through your fingers.

Some Bitches do take a while to adapt to waking up to pups, the occassional one just doesn't bond or let down milk.

do you have forumla and bottles on hand just in case ?

Its good that he's at least getting colostrum, and hopefully in the next 24 hours your girl will settle. stay with them and vigilant.

fifi

edited because I need a coffee .... can't think !

Edited by fifi

The same thing happened with my bitch (only she had two pups) it took about 48 hours for her toaccept the pups were hers. In the meantime I dutifully popped them on her nipples and sat with them through feeding patting and comforting her, and put them in a warm (heat padded) box near where she could see them but not hurt them. She soon came round and was a fabulous mum.

Oh - I was going to say don't clean him up - so she can smell herself on him.. but it's too late for that. :rolleyes: You could try giving her a good massage - and doing her feet and ears as well.. so you have smell on your hands- then rub puppy , ..also roll him/rub him with some of her soiled bedding.

Also - toilet him, and wipe it on her front paws, so she gets the scent/taste.

Sometimes, cleanliness hinders rather than helps :laugh:

She will be a bit 'off' for a while, poor thing.

dont force mumma to bond ,she will do it in her own time ,with the advise given by op .but do supervise her & make her feel special .

I suggest warm water ,not baby oil to toilet him, if needs be ,but mumma will do it once she has accepted pups arrival .good luck

dont force mumma to bond ,she will do it in her own time ,with the advise given by op .but do supervise her & make her feel special .

I suggest warm water ,not baby oil to toilet him, if needs be ,but mumma will do it once she has accepted pups arrival .good luck

Just wanted to add to the above - is she wont accept him then be prepared for many sleepless nights. I went through this a few months back with Lizzy, she was ok at first but didn't really want to be a mum this time so I had to take over or we were going to lose him. I have posted this link before but will again because it is too good not to keep sharing.

http://leerburg.com/bottlefeeding.htm

Good luck with.

Rescue remedy, Rescue remedy, Rescue remedy, Rescue remedy, every time you feed him and she will relax and him sucking will kick in the maternal hormones.

If you are in Melb Margaret O'Riodan naturapathic vet can give you mothering pills.

Do not leave the pup unattended as she may munch it.

Thanks everyone.

The warm water worked a treat and I got lots of poo all over me, so that's good :D I just put him on Olivia again and she seemed more relaxed this time, and fell asleep while he nursed. Hopefully she'll be ok in a day or so, but I'll just take it slowly. Glad I took 2 weeks off to stay home with her.

Puppy is now alseep in a crate on the kitchen bench, and twitching away merrily.

Rhonda

Rescue remedy, Rescue remedy, Rescue remedy, Rescue remedy, every time you feed him and she will relax and him sucking will kick in the maternal hormones.

If you are in Melb Margaret O'Riodan naturapathic vet can give you mothering pills.

Do not leave the pup unattended as she may munch it.

BB I will never forget a post op caesarian bitch munching her puppy and it happening at lightning speed. It was a very small litter of little terrier x pups (I do rescue, not byb) and I was so upset about it. Now I supervise pups feeding for the first 12, often 24 hours post op until mum is really alert and awake.

edited to add - I also do as Missymoo does with the pups visible to mum but safe as well.

Good luck kemulvak and let us all know what happens.

another edit - have a look at post 52 on Tessa's thread http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...08304&st=45

She did not know what to do and this morning (12 hours post op) was a text book momma.

Edited by lillypilly

Great news :-) and the more he feeds, the more of those wonderful lactating hormones will come down to relax her :-)

wishing you some sleep over the next couple of weeks !!!

fifi

Sensible advice from Fifi.

Feeding from mum is very important in helping her maternal instincts kick in so don't be too quick to pull out the bottles.

Fingers crossed all will be well in a day or so :hug:

Well all is good now :o Olivia came into my room at 4am with a very different look on her face, and wagged her tail at Barry, (his nickname).

I sat with her and put Barry on her nipple, and she started licking him and has decided being a mum is ok after all :D:)

Poor Olivia, it must be so strange to go to sleep and wake up and your world has changed !

Thanks for the advice and support :)

Well all is good now :o Olivia came into my room at 4am with a very different look on her face, and wagged her tail at Barry, (his nickname).

I sat with her and put Barry on her nipple, and she started licking him and has decided being a mum is ok after all :D :)

Poor Olivia, it must be so strange to go to sleep and wake up and your world has changed !

Thanks for the advice and support :o

Excellent stuff!!! Just continue to keep an eye on Olivia and be prepared to let her have "breaks" more often then a normal mumma as she may find it overwhelming.

Yes Parkeyre, I've noticed that with her. Right now she is asleep in a crate with the door open across the room from him. During the night I popped him back in his crate on a hot water bottle as she wouldn't settle, and then she settled well, she seems to be scared to go to sleep with him suckling, maybe she is frightened she will squash him!

I guess as her confidence levels increase she'll be more settled. I just plugged in the DAP difuser, that may help to settle her.

Rhonda