Strangers Photographing Both You And Your Dog Whilst Out In Public

Tatelina

Having photos taken without permission  

155 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have an issue with a stranger taking a photo/s of YOU AND YOUR DOG out in public without permission?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you have an issue with a stranger posting photo/s online without permission, taken of YOU AND YOUR DOG whilst out in public?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Would your responses from the above 2 questions change if it was a professional photographer using the photos for their portfolio?

• Yes
    • No

When you have a rare breed you get used to it. I dont mind if people take a photo really we've nothing to hide and almost every time it's "OMG can I get a photo with the turner and hooch dog!" so it ends up being like a tourist attraction :laugh: no one like the malinois though :o poor Mini gets rarely any photos taken

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Photojournalism is my favourite style of photography. Will Gortoa has a very dark and gritty style of street photography. Interestingly, he has quite a few shots of kids. I wonder if he asks permission to post online? It would be such a shame to lose this kind of work.

Edited by huga

It would be such a shame to lose this kind of work.

Wouldnt it just. What would happen to something like...for example...National Geographic? Do those photographers race after someone to sign a contract after they've taken a pic (between taking 100 other pics?). Are we one day going to end up with snappies of people saying Cheese just so we dont get jumped on for not asking permission first?

I have to sign notes at the beginning of each year to enable the school to take photos of my child and allow them to appear in newsletters etc.

I have also been to school concerts etc where the principal has informed us that it is illegal to take photos at that event and parents have been told to turn off their video cameras.

Help the paparazzi are after me and my dog. :laugh: The photo is going to be used to make stacks of money and get looked at by perverts! :o

Wishful thinking in many cases. But it doesn't hurt to carry on like you really think you are that important. ;)

who's thinking they're important? the photographer with no manners or consideration of another's feelings? hmmmm

I'd just view it as rude and an invasion of privacy, even if I am out in public. Always have done, and more so after extensive travelling overseas. In some cultures it's definitely not on.

In some cultures it's definitely not on.

Yes and I'm sure you've got plenty of photos to prove it, just like I have. So what's the issue deep down - that it's not OK to take a street photo in Australia incase someone catches you but it is in another country? Serious question because I dont know the answer.

Yes and I'm sure you've got plenty of photos to prove it, just like I have. So what's the issue deep down - that it's not OK to take a street photo in Australia incase someone catches you but it is in another country? Serious question because I dont know the answer.

Nah, I was always really careful to ask when photographing strangers when I was travelling. Most people were absolutely delighted to have their photo taken, but a few (mainly but not only older people) looked appalled and said a definite no when I asked. This was in Nepal.

I guess some people wouldn't bother to ask, and maybe in most cases the subject wouldn't have found out so no harm done, but I personally would have felt really rude not asking when I knew some people would hate the idea.

Also, some of the holy men were happy to be photographed but wanted a small sum of money for it (fair enough I guess, they have to make a living somehow & even as a backpacker I was a lot richer than most Nepalis). The problem was with the few that asked you to take their photo and then demanded money for it! :laugh:

Edited by Staranais

This was in Nepal.

Oh wow that's surprising. When was that, Star? I found Nepalis pretty bored by a camera lense unless it was in the face (yes I did see people doing that and I dont do it) or taking photos when they were having a bath (I dont do that either but yes, some travellers need a bullet to make them behave).

Just to throw a spanner in the works, it has been suggested to me that some countries whose people are more willing to be photographed do so because they have less vanity and what is important to them is on the inside

I take a lot of photos....I dont ask permission, usually I'm using a telephoto lens...

WHat would be the protocol if you were taking a beach view etc. and people were there?

I certainly don't get in people's faces with a camera and dont use photos for anything other than my own use. Everything's getting so hard these days...

I dont think I'd mind photos taken of me, I've not been in that position.(wonder why? ;) :o ) Certainly would not mind the dogs being photographed.

re money, my girlchild took a photo of a goat kid in Jordan as it was so cute, and was asked for money :laugh: she didn't mind, but was really careful what she photographed after that....

This was in Nepal.

Oh wow that's surprising. When was that, Star? I found Nepalis pretty bored by a camera lense unless it was in the face (yes I did see people doing that and I dont do it) or taking photos when they were having a bath (I dont do that either but yes, some travellers need a bullet to make them behave).

About 10 years back - I lived there 6 months. It was mostly a few older people who had an issue with it, but like I say, I found the vast majority of people were quite pleased to be photographed, so long as you didn't do anything disrespectful. The people in Kathmandu seemed to just be used to it, and the people in the more remote hill regions liked the novelty. When I left I gave the lady I had lived with a printed copy of a photo I'd taken of her, her mother, and her daughter together. She was very pleased with it - I don't think she had a photo of them before that. :thumbsup:

One Nepali friend of mine said that some people were worried what we might use the photographs for in foreign countries, that perhaps their picture would be printed in the newspaper, then the old papers ripped up and used as toilet paper etc, which was apparently a terrible thought for modest Nepali ladies, so that's why some of the older ladies refused photographs.

Edited by Staranais

No, raz, the only photos I have of people "in the street" are a very few where they were in the way of a building, and even that's not many as I'd run around trying to get the building without people in the scene. Sometimes I'd just leave it and not take the photo.

With people photos I'd always get their permission. Thinking hard about this, in more recent times the people who overseas don't like their pics taken were in poorer countries and the idea of their face being on the internet horrified them. I don't have a lot of pics of strangers.

For me too, the internet has added to my dislike of the idea - there are a couple of really weird men in my past life who I'd prefer never knew if I am still alive or dead, that they could see my mug somewhere would worry me greatly. :thumbsup:

One Nepali friend of mine said that some people were worried what we might use the photographs for in foreign countries, that perhaps their picture would be printed in the newspaper, then the old papers ripped up and used as toilet paper etc, which was apparently a terrible thought for modest Nepali ladies, so that's why some of the older ladies refused photographs.

ahhh right I never thought of that.

OK here's another scenario. I travelled with a pro photographer who would pay indigenous people, get them to wear tribal garb and take them to a great spot for a photo shoot. He passes the photos off as someone doing ordinary stuff, all dressed up in their finery and him just being in the right moment at the right time. Is that wrong? To me it is because it's a lie.

Tatelina, what prompted you to start the thread? Did someone take a photo of you, did you take a photo of someone else, or is it purely hypothetical?

Great article, Ash. How humiliating!

Despite his reputation as a renowned art photographer, Dupain has been reported to lifeguards or police four times while working at Bondi. His camera has been seized several times and on one occasion a police officer asked Dupain's subjects (two sleeping backpackers) if they'd like to have the photographer arrested. (The answer was no.) "I've been yelled at and harassed just for trying to create a record of the times we live in," says Dupain. "They make you feel like a predator."

OK here's another scenario. I travelled with a pro photographer who would pay indigenous people, get them to wear tribal garb and take them to a great spot for a photo shoot. He passes the photos off as someone doing ordinary stuff, all dressed up in their finery and him just being in the right moment at the right time. Is that wrong? To me it is because it's a lie.

Tatelina, what prompted you to start the thread? Did someone take a photo of you, did you take a photo of someone else, or is it purely hypothetical?

i agree. what he did was deceptive and wrong