Do You Think It Is Possible

Bartok

A dog that i rehomed 15mths ago has gone missing in the worse possible place

he is a belgian malinois and around 2yrs old. just an amazing dog

generally does 3 x 20km endurance runs a week while his owners trail ride the horses.

otherwise no less then 8km a day through bushland and creeks etc

they just moved to a new property. had been there for 10 days and he went missing wednesday night in the rain

they fear he lost his sent and cant find his way home

most amazing dog and very very loved. they are offering a monetry reward and have put fliers up through all the small communities and have been out each morning for hours on the horses hoping to find him or maybe he will smell the horses he knows and come home

Sadly he went missing at Stroud NSW. Alot of bushland and farmers who would pull a gun first and ask questions later. it is also heavily baited area

they are hoping he uses his intellect and maybe follow a creek to safety, but he is a bit shy of strangers

Do u think it is possible he can find his way home to either the new or old house?

He really is an amazing dog

Happened to a friend of mine who was housesitting in a strange house. I told her just keep going around the local streets and calling and the next night the dog suddenly appeared at the door. T his was in a built up area the dog didn't know, they are usually hiding somewhere. This was a very faithful dog who got scared during a storm when my friend was out, she cleared the fence and was gone.

Guest belgian.blue

He is a Belgian Shepherd, they're a very smart and loyal breed. He would do anything to get back to his masters.

He is probably laying low until the ground dries up a bit and great they are out with the horses. I'm sure he will scent out the horses any day!

Yes I think it is possible if the dog is uninjured and there have been stories of dogs travelling great distances to get back home.

When I moved back to NZ close to 6 years ago, I took my black lab boy (Fitzy) who I had at the time with me and we initially stayed in the family home where my sister and her dog lived. I then brought a house not too far away from the family home and I used to walk my boy around to it quite often, before we finally moved in when my belongings arrived from OZ and once moved in Fitzy and I would walk around to see my sister quite often. I was at work one day and my sister rang me and I could almost hear her heart beating as she told she had been to the supermarket and came home and here was my dog Fitzy lying in the driveway at the gate waiting to be let in :) and her dog was sitting calmly on the other side of the gate keeping Fitzy company as they could see each other through the iron gate.

My boy had found a way out of my property and went looking for me :rofl: To get to my sister's place he had to travel along a foothpath of a very busy main road which was undergoing major roadworks, but he obviously navigated successfully without incident and I was so shocked as it was so unlike him to leave my property. I thought the property was secure as I am paranoid about fencing, but he found a way out, so from that day on, I would take him around to my sister's place to spend the day there whilst I was at work so he had her and her dog as company as the thought of him doing that again gave me nightmares. He was most happy with the new arrangement :thumbsup:

I just got to spend lots of time with him and new him from 12wks until 10mths when they adopted him. So he means alot to me and is the best home you could find for him.

they even asked a dog psychic and were told he is standing on a hill looking over a town.

he is very loyal to his owners and loves the horses and their daily rides.

So i hope he had learnt enough about the new property to get his bearings and head home.

Thanks for the positive input

We had a Collie rough growing up. We loved him dearly. He went missing, 5 days later he came home looking a complete mess dirty and tired like he had been walking for days. My sisters and I would walk on the dirt footpath a long distance to the shops/station many times during the week we think he smalled our scent and found us.

Good luck, doggys are so cleaver.

We had a Collie rough growing up. We loved him dearly. He went missing, 5 days later he came home looking a complete mess dirty and tired like he had been walking for days. My sisters and I would walk on the dirt footpath a long distance to the shops/station many times during the week we think he smalled our scent and found us.

I've seen that movie too.... :laugh:

Fingers crossed he's safely found BArtok!

Oh I hope he gets home, fingers crossed.

If it's any comfort, I grew up with a GSD that used to trek across around 10 - 15 miles of fields to find my brother and I at my grandparents house where we used to spend most of our summer school hols, so that he could play with us.

I know I've seen the movie too, but it's true.

this was our Duke.

edit to try to add a picture again

post-34322-1289809654_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fleuri

I know I've seen the movie too, but it's true.

this was our Duke.

edit to try to add a picture again

Beautiful. The GSD I mentioned was in fact a GSD/Rough Collie cross... clever 'ole thing he was :D

Fingers crossed again that you find the dog

Good luck,

I hope he he finds his way home.

The same happened to some friends/neighbours of ours when they moved 5 ks away.We went to visit them one evening and on our way home drove past the old house 3/4 days later) and and saw him hiding in the scrub on the side of the road in the dark.

We opened the car door and called him,he was soo happy to see familiar faces! Took him back next morning.

So yeah,check the old place too! Perhaps ride that way with the horses?

The daddydog had to go overseas this morning for work.

he already postponed it because out searching

Mummy is still out looking

I have emailed AWL branches and also national parks and wildlife in that area

It is being announced on Radio Rhema in the next day also

If i was physically able to go and help look i would

I know of several cats that returned to former homes after a move. One of the homes was half an hour away by car. Dogs have an amazing sense of smell and I can imagine him up on a hill sniffing into the breeze for something familiar. Despite bad weather dogs can still sniff out living and dead people in disasters and in the snow. So give him some time and hopefully he will be found heading home or turn up all by himself.