Lab Pup On Bondi Vet

Dracdog

Did anyone see the Lab pup that had eaten a heap of snail bait on Bondi vet last night. Iam glad the poor thing is all right and would love to put the person or persons who spread the snail bait all over the owners lawn through the same torture. How can people do crap like that to any animal let alone a defencless little pup?

I just watched it. :)

That poor but very lucky puppy.

Snail bait worries me. We have heaps of snails around our yard (it doesn't worry me because I don't have a garden) But our back neighbours have a garden and grow vegies and the fact that they could use snail bait worries me.

I only just finished having a whinge to my OH about the back fence that we had meant that snails or bait could make its way through to our yard. My whinging to him paid off and he has put a big fence up the back yard. I'm so glad it is up now after watching this.

Clyde:

I found it odd that they (the show) were so blase about a snail bat box being thrown in the owners yard

I didn't buy the owner's explanation that the snail bait was spread (unknown to the owner) on the back lawn for one minute.

That dog got at a box of it for sure. It was patently obvious when it vomitted pure snail bait - no grass, nothing. I'd say it got the box and dragged it onto the back lawn.

Edited by poodlefan

This stuff is good, won't harm dogs, cats, fauna, birds, earthworms (or children). It is also GOOD for the garden as it contains Iron Chelate

Milticrop Multiguard Slug and Snail Killer post-26505-1290121020_thumb.jpg

This is NOT safe.

Not having a go here, but could you explain why, please? If find I remember things better when I know the reason :crossfingers:

This stuff is good, won't harm dogs, cats, fauna, birds, earthworms (or children). It is also GOOD for the garden as it contains Iron Chelate

No it's not safe -

"This case series of five dogs describes the effects of ingesting large amounts of an iron EDTA snail-bait product. In all cases signs of toxicity occurred between 6 and 24 h after ingestion and included abdominal pain and haemorrhagic gastroenteritis. Two of the dogs had pretreatment serum iron levels measured and in both cases the levels were above normal limits. All of the dogs were treated with iron chelation therapy and supportive care including intravenous fluids, analgesics, gastric protectants and antibiotics"

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111...0451.x/abstract

I think perhaps the owner was feeling guilty ...looks like the pup got hold of the whole box... poor little pup...

I saw a bit of it but had to switch, it brought back harrowing memories from when Jack ingested snail pellets at 6 months, he did it overnight and when we found him in the morning he was convulsing, walking into walls and very vacant. He survived that but it was a bloddy big scare! And my dad never forgave himself for leaving the shed door unlocked so that it blew open and we have been super careful since about using things that are dangerous. :crossfingers:

I'd say it got the box and dragged it onto the back lawn.

That's my guess too. Probably belonged to the owners I'm thinking, the pup was young and they may not have thought about removing the box from the property.

So glad the pup was OK, what a horrendous thing for the dog and family to go through.

Edited by FHRP

This is NOT safe.

Not having a go here, but could you explain why, please? If find I remember things better when I know the reason :crossfingers:

Basically it causes iron poisoning, which causes severe damage to cells, especially of the intestines, liver, cardiovascular and nervous tissue.

It's just as bad as Defender (the green one). With Baysol, (the blue one) if treated in time, can be reversed with no irreparable damage. The other two, even if you get to them straight away, can still be fatal.

with her lovely lawns and bit of garden that i saw

seems to me the pellets may have been the owners and Not thrown over the fence :D

That was my thought too :D

And mine. I doubt the vet believed it either.

It would be interesting to know what the neighbour on the other side of the fence had to say now the show has gone to air. Silly owner was so busy playing Miss Innocent, I bet she didn't give a thought to the wreck she made of any good neighbour relationship.

Dr. Chris did a good job saving that dog. He cops a lot of flack if he says anything dumb but no one ever mentions that he seems to to be a good vet who knows what he's doing.

He should never have started of at the beginning of his TV show putting false nads into that Bulldog and people would probably have taken him more seriously.

He sure is easy on the eye!!

with her lovely lawns and bit of garden that i saw

seems to me the pellets may have been the owners and Not thrown over the fence :D

That was my thought too :D

And mine. I doubt the vet believed it either.

It would be interesting to know what the neighbour on the other side of the fence had to say now the show has gone to air. Silly owner was so busy playing Miss Innocent, I bet she didn't give a thought to the wreck she made of any good neighbour relationship.

Dr. Chris did a good job saving that dog. He cops a lot of flack if he says anything dumb but no one ever mentions that he seems to to be a good vet who knows what he's doing.

He should never have started of at the beginning of his TV show putting false nads into that Bulldog and people would probably have taken him more seriously.

He sure is easy on the eye!!

Agree with you, except for the bolded bit! Ughhh, every time I look at him all I can think of is Roger Ramjet! Way too much chin happening.

It's a shame the voice over said that Chris ducked off to see the Wallabies (or whatever they were) whilst the pup was waking up - obviously there are other vets there at the clinic, but they make out it's his case and I doubt any vet would really want to leave their patient so soon in that situation.

I must say, I am pretty cynical when it comes to him and his show, but have been told recently that apparently he does answer all his after hours calls himself and decides whether or not he'll see them, so that's boosted my respect for him a little. I just wish his bits weren't so 'scripted', but then again, it probably wouldn't make for good television if it wasn't.

While I was working at one clinic we had Talk To The Animals (I think that's what is was called, was hosted by Tom Burlinson) come and film surgery on a donkey.

He was bloody rude, the film crew were bloody rude and they made it really hard to do our jobs.

Alot of what we see is scripted, and Chris is not a professional actor, so it stands to reason that he says and does some things that seem silly to those with a bit of knowledge, but I bet he was asked to do most of it by the shows producers and seeing as they are paying him a s*#tload of money to go along with them he is probably happy enough to do it.

This is NOT safe.

IT has me baffled as to why this product is being sold under the premise that it is safe around pets :D