How To Approach Neighbours

Sheridan

;) A HUMAN BEING IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN ANY DOG.

I think you're in the wrong place if that's your attitude. My dogs are more important to me than pretty much everyone.

And my family accepts this.

Sheridan,

I don't think it's appropriate that the children can see into your yard. I find that to be a HUGE invasion of privacy. If it affects your quiet enjoyment of your property (and it is) it's a nuisance.

Hugs to my darling Grumpy man xox

Edited cause I just caught up with the good outcome

That would be a careful hug because he's not a huggy man.

Of course! And I'd come bearing a pig's ear :D I know these wheatens ;)

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I strongly suspect that he meant to type in 'dollforums' not 'dolforums'.

;) :D ;) Cant...type...tummy...hurting

Hahaha he probably thought we were creepy with our 'dog fetish'.

Imagine what he thought we did with them... probably misread 'exhibiting' as 'exhibitionism'

laughing. so. hard.

:eek: :eek: :):o

thanks for the laughs all, some of the most recent posts are hilarious.

On a bit more serious note though, can I just get back to the original topic?

Quite a while back I had kids at the back - diagonally - with a trampoline and a big tree. And I had 2 little dogs. The kids would scream and yell their heads off whilst on the trampoline, then they'd climb the tree, a fair bit of which hung over my back yard corner. It's a huge tree (the roots spread into my yard and caused me over 3K's of plumbing problems, which the govt paid).

Up in the tree the kids got a bird's eye view of my yard - and then the squeals started, calling their parents to come and see the little doggies! The dogs would go nuts, absolutely crazy. Right at the back of my place there was another little girl who quite often would try and climb over the fence to see my dogs. All this was going on at the same time - and after the plumbing episode I wasn't sure how to handle it.

Then another little girl across the road (and the one at the back) took to dancing on my driveway to make the dogs bark. (they did love the dogs but thought it was fun). Then "across the road" started either dancing or staring at the front window from her front yard.

All of this sent the dogs wild. I spoke to the girls and they stopped a bit.

But then the novelty wore off - for both the kids and the dogs. Even jumping on the trampoline wasn't so interesting anymore, and when it was used, the dogs grew to care less. So did the kids. A lot of kids don't have long term interest in things.

Long spiel - sorry - but it might happen for Sheridan too.

I think it is absolutely outrageous to ask a child if they have clean hands before patting a dog !! I know all about the stress of sticky coats from people patting my dogs having been to a lot of Royals :(

Either say to all people, who ask to pat the dog, " Of course" and then do a quick clean up as soon as they've gone or less stressful, just say "OK, but you'll have to wait until after they've finished being in the ring".

Any people who put dogs higher than children are making future problems.

What annoys me is when people pull out the "what is more important" comparison.

Just because someone doesn't want strangers putting their possibly sticky hands over their dogs coat that has taken hours to groom does not mean they are saying that dogs are more important than children.

Go to a car show and see how happy a show car owner would be to have strangers wiping their hands over their freshly polished Monaro.

:( ;) :(

im not sure that grumpy is the patient type though, and Sheridan was just trying to find an amicable mid way point of how to tactfully resolve the situation.

Im not sure where this topic now leads me, I work with children 10 hours a day, 5 days a week, dont particularly like them at the moment :(:( (have three babies teething), and then have to spoil my puppy when I finish.

I dont have any objections to asking children if they have clean hands - its the same as asking an assistance animal if they are allowed to be interacted with, and I have also been asked before by a child if they could pat my dog. I gave them acknowledgement, i gave them praise and said I am really glad you asked me that is the right thing to do, and that way i could get my normally disobedient dog to sit so the child could do it. If a child rushed up, they probably would have regretted it (staffy owner)

but yeah this topic has me in stitches, thinking children rule the world nah nah, my four legged baby comes first

Well this topic has become very entertaining :o

I especially like the bit where we were all called child haters, and having it suggested that a child who is not mine is more important to me then my own dog

I have no problem refusing people touching my dog but then again I am apparently a child hater :laugh:

To clarify, my confusion IS genuine and I really do want to know what is so offensive about asking if a child has clean hands before deciding whether or not they can pat my dog.

As a dog lover (but not a showie) and a parent, I honestly have no idea :)

To clarify, my confusion IS genuine and I really do want to know what is so offensive about asking if a child has clean hands before deciding whether or not they can pat my dog.

As a dog lover (but not a showie) and a parent, I honestly have no idea :)

I have no idea either, but what was funny was - grubby little hands actually had nothing to do with this thread. A n00by was obviously upset that her kid was asked if he had clean hands before touching a dog before it went in the ring (no big deal but it obviously put a bee in her bonnet) and that he was frightened when he got rushed by a dog in a crate. She just wanted to use this thread to have a go at purebred owners and 'kid haters'. Would have been a bit more dramatic if she called us kid killers, I guess, but kid hater was goddamn offensive enough.

I'm not a fan of kids but I don't join kid forums (parenting forums I guess) and call all the posters DOG HATERS.

And yep, my dogs are sure as hell more important TO ME than any child. I dont have children, don't want children and don't go out of my way to spend time with them.

I'm happy to be polite and allow kids to pay my dogs and even loan them to Junior Handlers! But they are my responsibility and my family. So what if they have fur?

Funny that we are called kid haters when most of us are parents. Weird.

Regardless of if your little precious has sticky fingers or not, I don't want him touching my poodle whom I have just spent hours grooming to perfection. If little precious flattens his perfectly manicured coat I will most definitely be an unfriendly kid hater.

If people could educate themselves on how much work goes into a show dog then they might understand this reaction.

it takes a huge amount of arrogance to come onto a dog forum and tell the members that a strangers children are more important than the members own dog/s

And I'll be just as arrogant now and say these are my priorities in life:

My dogs

Myself

My husband

My extended family

Not some stranger's kid.

I devote some time every day to those first 4 things. I devote absolutely none to a stranger's kid unless it's in a news article that I'm reading, or a thread here about a member's child. Day to day - I dont think about some unknown child

Edited by raz

it takes a huge amount of arrogance to come onto a dog forum and tell the members that a strangers children are more important than the members own dog/s

And I'll be just as arrogant now and say these are my priorities in life:

My dogs

Myself

My husband

My extended family

Not some stranger's kid.

I devote some time every day to those first 4 things. I devote absolutely none to a stranger's kid unless it's in a news article that I'm reading, or a thread here about a member's child. Day to day - I dont think about some unknown child

i like your priorities :)

Oh for crying out loud people, who said you had to put the whims and wants of every child and person ahead of your own dog?? My "precious" "snot nosed" "crappy nappy" son, and whatever other insults you have thrown into the mix, is more important to me than your dogs, deal with it. If you're so worried that I think a lot of you hate children then why do you keep feeding the idea by insulting my boy who doesn't even know you and hasn't done a single thing to you!! If you feel the need to pick on a three and a half year old who you don't even know then you are just a bully with a sick sense of humor! I never expected anyone to view my child or anyone elses as "the centre of the universe" - I was simply saying that it is a fact of life that a human life is at the top of the food chain - if I had to choose between saving the life of a drowning, undisciplined, brat of a child or my drowning dog I know which one I'd choose it's as simple as that. My "rude, nasty" son couldn't give a crap about what happened at the show - I, being the "hysterical" parent that I am, find it rather annoying that people think they can treat anyone like crap just because they feel like it, but hey I guess that's because I'm against purebred dogs (funny that I own three purebred dogs). I'd feel sorry for my dogs too - I mean who wouldv'e thought a dog should be allowed to be cuddled by a child or to romp around in the dirt and muck - talk about mistreatment! Oh and by the way, if you hadn't noticed there is just a touch of sarcasm here!

[

I have no idea either, but what was funny was - grubby little hands actually had nothing to do with this thread. A n00by was obviously upset that her kid was asked if he had clean hands before touching a dog before it went in the ring (no big deal but it obviously put a bee in her bonnet) and that he was frightened when he got rushed by a dog in a crate. She just wanted to use this thread to have a go at purebred owners and 'kid haters'. Would have been a bit more dramatic if she called us kid killers, I guess, but kid hater was goddamn offensive enough.

It's funny..to me it almost came across like Ruger got pi$$ed off with her child being asked if he had clean hands, so she decided to use this thread to have a go at all of us who dare love and work with dogs?

Kinda like payback :rofl:

Meh I just found it highly amusing..made for a good read on Sunday and Monday :)

I, being the "hysterical" parent that I am, find it rather annoying that people think they can treat anyone like crap just because they feel like it,

I'm really trying to understand where you are coming from, but I just can't see any reason how asking a child if their hands are clean before letting them pat a freshly groomed show dog is treating them like crap? Or why any parent would be offended by the question in an exhibition environment? :) Was it said nastily, is it the tone that was offensive? Because I really can't see how the question is per se.

No one insulted your child. You, on the other hand, insulted all of us by calling us kid haters. That was extremely rude.

Oh you've got to be kidding?? If you want to hide behind the "I never mentioned your child by name" crap when you all hurled the insults then I'll do the same and say that I never mentioned anyone by name when i mentioned child haters - if you want to step up to the plate and claim that that title was applied to you than that's your problem you can deal with it, I have better things to do with my time than argue with you - like play with my grubby little children!