Unknown Parentage?

sheena

I often wonder, just how many problem dogs that are on the Health Sub forum come from an unknown parentage? I have a friend who wanted to get a dog as she wants to do agility, but it also had to be a lovely companion to her as she is not a well person. Knowing her personal situation, I tried very hard to talk her into doing some research into breeds & breeders & pointed out the benefits of getting a dog with known parentage etc. ie. from a reliable registered breeder. She insisted that she wanted to get one from the rescue centre as she felt sorry for all the dogs there....don't we all :) I havn't been able to meet this new dog yet, because she can't drive down the street without it being sick. She has had her for at leat 5 weeks now & has spent countless amounts of money with the vets & is at her wits end as she has tried every thing to fix the problem. It turns out that all the pups in that litter have the same problem...she is about 6 months old & the whole litter was surrendered to the rescue centre.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I often wonder, just how many problem dogs that are on the Health Sub forum come from an unknown parentage? I have a friend who wanted to get a dog as she wants to do agility, but it also had to be a lovely companion to her as she is not a well person. Knowing her personal situation, I tried very hard to talk her into doing some research into breeds & breeders & pointed out the benefits of getting a dog with known parentage etc. ie. from a reliable registered breeder. She insisted that she wanted to get one from the rescue centre as she felt sorry for all the dogs there....don't we all :) I havn't been able to meet this new dog yet, because she can't drive down the street without it being sick. She has had her for at leat 5 weeks now & has spent countless amounts of money with the vets & is at her wits end as she has tried every thing to fix the problem. It turns out that all the pups in that litter have the same problem...she is about 6 months old & the whole litter was surrendered to the rescue centre.

Car sickness happens in any breed pure or mixed, most dogs will grow out of it.

Travel calm ginger tabs, over the counter car sickness tabs from the vet, ginger nut biscuits, all work well for most dogs.

My Pedigree Great Dane had car sickness until he was about 8 months old.

It's not that something is wrong with them perse' - just like some kids who get car sick - some dogs also get car sick and there are meds and behavioural methods on how to deal with it.

You don't seem very supportive of your friends choice to get a Rescue Dog?

You haven't been able to meet the dog? Why don't you drive to her to meet the dog?

Been to the vets countless times? Then why hasn't the vet prescribed the new car sickness medication or suggested one of the many things people can try in this situation.

You sound bitter.

Edited by sas

Perhaps it is just a case of the whole litter not being exposed to car travel except for the sad ride to be made someone elses problem. Her only car trip may have been quite upsetting during and after.It may just be they all need a little time to get used to car travel, if she takes it slowly I am sure it can be overcome to some degree. Please be supportive of her decision to choose a rescue dog, I know my rescue girl Molly is an absolute joy to me as I am sure in time this little girl will be to your friend.

All dogs both pedigree and not can get car sick. I have both and none have ever suffered from car sickness. Good on her for wanting to give a homeless pooch a home, and i hope the poor pup grows out of the car sickness :thumbsup:.

I don't think it's right to say that dogs of known parentage are less likely to get sick. They're living creatures after all and subject to all sorts of variables in the environment. Plenty of purebred dogs get sick, plenty of crossbreeds get sick ... Car sickness also shows up in all sorts of dogs. There are a lot of people here whose dogs got car sick as puppies but eventually got over it - I think it would be sad to deny a rescue pup a home just because it gets car sick ...

All dogs both pedigree and not can get car sick. I have both and none have ever suffered from car sickness. Good on her for wanting to give a homeless pooch a home, and i hope the poor pup grows out of the car sickness :eek:.

I have a lovely best in group, class in show winning bitch. Beautiful example of the breed, who upchucks at any opportunity in the car . Pedigree makes no difference to her :thumbsup:

If the new puppy is a working breed mix then its got every chance of being car sick - lots of working breeds suffer from it.

This is interesting as she thinks she may be a cross between a stumpy tail, border collie, smithfield & maybe a bit of dingo mixed in. The history of where the litter came from is not known to the rescue centre...for some reason. I have been delving back into the archives or DOL for her & passing on the information. She has tried ginger tablets, different positions in the car & all the medications the vet can think of. At present she is taking a tablet which actually puts her to sleep, but of course this is no good if my friend wants to take her to training, as it zonks the dog out. I don't think she has tried a static strip on her car yet. The dog doesn't appear to get stressed, she just lies there & chucks. She only travels her on an empty stomach, but then the poor thing vomits up bile. I have suggested that just because the dog lies there quitely, doesn't mean that it is not stressed. I suggested it may be because she drives a very small car, but if all the pups are doing the same, then that theory goes out the window. I have now bought her a "calming cap" from America & will try to get it to her, to see if that helps.

No link between knowing the parent and not knowing and sickness, not sure what you were getting at there. Car sickness very common. My worst upchucker eventually grew out of it. What I did was determine his threshhold, which intitially was about two minutes. So we'd stop, walk around, let him settle or be sick, whichever. Then we'd try again for two minutes going home.

Goal always was for me to stop and get him out of the car before he chucked, so that I could sever the mental link of get in car, vomit. Gradually we developed a tolerance of about 45 minutes, which meant I could actually take him places. He never really got beyond 45 minutes, but after about a year the problem mostly dissapeared.

Very inconvenient, and a huge time committment, but eventually it worked.

If the new puppy is a working breed mix then its got every chance of being car sick - lots of working breeds suffer from it.

This is interesting as she thinks she may be a cross between a stumpy tail, border collie, smithfield & maybe a bit of dingo mixed in. The history of where the litter came from is not known to the rescue centre...for some reason. I have been delving back into the archives or DOL for her & passing on the information. She has tried ginger tablets, different positions in the car & all the medications the vet can think of. At present she is taking a tablet which actually puts her to sleep, but of course this is no good if my friend wants to take her to training, as it zonks the dog out. I don't think she has tried a static strip on her car yet. The dog doesn't appear to get stressed, she just lies there & chucks. She only travels her on an empty stomach, but then the poor thing vomits up bile. I have suggested that just because the dog lies there quitely, doesn't mean that it is not stressed. I suggested it may be because she drives a very small car, but if all the pups are doing the same, then that theory goes out the window. I have now bought her a "calming cap" from America & will try to get it to her, to see if that helps.

Driving style matters too.

Has she had the dog in the car while its stationary?

some of my guys get car sick and some do not. magali would get terriblysick when she was younger, that then became lass.. ie she would only vomit over my shoulder onto my lap as we arrived back home ( LOL) I would then drive with a large towel draped over me,, later in life she did not get sick at all.

i would be introducing teh dog to the car.. as follows:

1. spend time just having the dog get into the car and increase the time sitting in the car without going naywhere

2. progress to sitting in the car and starting the engine.

3. then onto a small reverse or drive down the driveway and so on. gradually increase the time of thedrive.

take tiny tiny steps. this may take months but it will be worthwhile.

some dogs prefer to be crated in a car, others like to be able to see out and feel the breeze

good luck

H

Sheena, I have a house full of dogs of unknown parentage. I see you have a Border Collie. That would be the last dog I'd ever have.

As a rescuer of dogs, I find your attitude towards them to be very discriminatory and lacking in experience.

My point is that we are all entitled to own whatever sort of dog we like.

The dogs I have here are "gold". Many, many visitors and strangers stop me to say what wonderful dogs they are.

Purebred dogs can have fits, have wobbly knees, bite, have strange behaviours, shit in the house, sick in the car, get deposited in the pounds - just like dogs of "unknown parentage".

They are good tips Aussienot & Poodlefan. She says that she has worked on getting the dog used to the car while stationery, but maybe if someone sat in the back with her while driving, then they could raise the alarm as soon as she started to show symptoms of distress. At present she can't get out of her driveway without her chucking....she has a long driveway.

I am not bagging rescue dogs, but in this ladies circumstances she would have been better off getting a pup from a known source, a purebred from a registered breeder. She already has two, now aging, dogs which have been plagued with major health issues all their life. When she got interested in agility & wanted to get another pup, she wanted it to be a certain size, sex, temperament & for once in her life, not have any health issues. That is why I thought, for her to be able to minimise the risks, she would be better off getting a pure bred & suggested a local breeder who breeds lovely kelpies, and competes in all dog sports with. She chose a lovely little kelpie pup from the rescue centre, but as badluck befalls her, it died the day before she was due to pick it up.

And for those critics who say I am not being very supportive of her...then what am I doing now & have been since she got the pup.....looking for a solution. It is heartening to know that she might grow out of it, but I would have thought seeing that she is now about 7 months old (exact age unknown). We live a long way apart, as people in the country often do & usually meet up halfway at training where she comes to watch. I havn't driven to see her, as I have had two major eye operations since she got the pup & I have to rely on OH to drive me everywhere. I believe she is a very sweet little combination, hardly ever barks & just lies around most of the time. Which is nice, but I am a little concerned that for a pup of working dog mix at her age would probably be a little more active. Who knows what has happened to these pups before they ended up in the rescue centre, roughly at the age of 5 to 6 months...if only they could talk. :dancingelephant: She was thoroughly vet tested before she got her, but then again, so was the little one that died before she could take delivery of it (all it's litter mates were OK)

ETA...thanks Dogbesotted, maybe she is trying to do everything a little too fast. I will certainly pass your suggestion on to her. I did suggest to her, to make the car a fun place to be, (while stationery)...put value on being in the car

Edited by sheena

Sheena, I have a house full of dogs of unknown parentage. I see you have a Border Collie. That would be the last dog I'd ever have.

As a rescuer of dogs, I find your attitude towards them to be very discriminatory and lacking in experience.

My point is that we are all entitled to own whatever sort of dog we like.

The dogs I have here are "gold". Many, many visitors and strangers stop me to say what wonderful dogs they are.

Purebred dogs can have fits, have wobbly knees, bite, have strange behaviours, shit in the house, sick in the car, get deposited in the pounds - just like dogs of "unknown parentage".

Yes I agree with you here...and most of these "purebreds" would have been the result of BYB's or Puppy Farms. Any reputable breeder, puts a lot of time & effort into insuring that they are breeding the healthiest puppies possible, & give the new owner as much support as needed & will even take the pup back if it is found to be not suitable. If you read my above post, you will see why, I thought, in this ladies circumstances, she would have been better off getting a dog from a known background. I am glad to hear that all your rescue dogs are in good health...you certainly have been much luckier than my friend, & it doesn't bother me one bit if you don't like border collies.

I didn't know of that link pf, but the only one of mine with a real car sickness problem was a beautiful, well bred (parentage most certainly known!) Belgian Tervueren so that definitely fits with the herding dog theory. She grew out of it and came to love the car. Her breeder was certainly considered reputable !!

This is interesting as she thinks she may be a cross between a stumpy tail, border collie, smithfield & maybe a bit of dingo mixed in. The history of where the litter came from is not known to the rescue centre...for some reason. I have been delving back into the archives or DOL for her & passing on the information.

Does it matter what kind of dog it is guessed to be ?

As a child & young adult I puked all over every car my parents had & all down the sides with my head hanging out the window

Often before we got to the end of our road.

On the bus it was a race after going so far to get me off quick. Sometimes I puked on the platform & then they had to get everyone off & send for another bus.

Train rides were just as bad & I can still be sick lying on a blow up air bed in the sea. Plane was good :)

Every treatment known to man was tried & all failed & I mean everything.

It got less around 17 but did not go until I was 35 & started driving.

Maybe it has got something to do with my breed :p

ETA No one in my whole family is even slightly car sick.