Anyone Interested In A Pet Fox :d

Sasha (Alexander)

As foxes are a pest species in Australia, you are not allowed to keep them as pets and you would certainly not be able to import them. There was a thread a little while ago where someone found some baby foxes and was deciding what to do with them.

That whole breeding program was fascinating.

I was worried when it ended the now tamed/domesticated foxes produced (with coats that were apparently useless for fur?) would just be disposed of.

eta: not that I'm comfortable with them being farmed as pets either.

Edited by Powerlegs

I have read something about these foxes (if they're the same ones) they have been deliberately selectively bred for generations to be brave & friendly (i.e., they've been domesticated, not just tamed), so they would probably be lovely pets. But like people say, you couldn't import them into Aussie or NZ.

Very cute pups (kits), but does anyone get the sense that they are being mass bred for the domestic market like some people are doing with regular dogs? The sheds and boxes in the puppy photos are kinda reminiscent of that sort of thing IMHO...

T.

Very cute pups (kits), but does anyone get the sense that they are being mass bred for the domestic market like some people are doing with regular dogs? The sheds and boxes in the puppy photos are kinda reminiscent of that sort of thing IMHO...

T.

Have to say, that was my first thought too. I guess they have to sort of mimic a den though? But the pic of one in a cage with a wire floor looked a bit suss.

I remember learning about these foxes when I was studying genetics I don't want to admit how many years ago from the point of view of selective breeding. At that stage they were still being bred for fur not the pet market. It does give an insight into the domestication process.

In the US there are foxes bred for the 'pet market'. I worked with a few when I was over there working with some captive wolves. The ones I worked with were rescues. Reasonably tame, would sit on your shoulder etc. Sweet animals (loved dried cranberries which we used as training treats). I was very fond of a white Red Fox (coat was totally white, but he was a red fox by species - like the ones that are feral in Australia) named Basil. People get them because they are cute and because it is rather cool to say they own a fox. BUT and it is a big but, what most people fail to realise is that fox dens/enclosures/anywhere they live STINK. And I mean REALLY stink. There is no getting away from it and it is extremely overpowering. It is an incredibly strong musky urine smell. Foxes mark their den sites this way. No way to stop it. You own a fox, you own the incredibly overpowering knock you out and half the neighbourhood too stink. And that is the reason most foxes sold for pets end up as rescue cases. Not really good pet prospects at all......

its a bit like owning a billy goat.

Take a billy goat smell and times it by about a thousand :laugh: a billy goat is hardly registerable by comparison. Even if you are 'used' to the fox smell, every day walking up to and into the enclosure is a challenge and makes your head spin and your lungs object (note I have a strong stomach and usually am not put off by smells no matter how strong or foul - this was a challenge for me!) And it is not because the enclosure is not kept clean - the smell is there no matter how clean you keep it.