Thundershirt For Dogs With Fear/anxiety Etc

helen

The Thundershirt has made a huge difference to my whippet Flynn, he normally shakes, pants and his heart looks as though it is going to pop out of his chest, but with the thundershirt on, he doesn't shake or pant, he still follows me around and needs to be close but he is much more relaxed, it is a godsend to us both. :thumbsup:

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Thundershirt has made a huge difference to my whippet Flynn, he normally shakes, pants and his heart looks as though it is going to pop out of his chest, but with the thundershirt on, he doesn't shake or pant, he still follows me around and needs to be close but he is much more relaxed, it is a godsend to us both. :thumbsup:

Exactly the same experience here with my kelpie. I call it the magic shirt. Its nothing short of amazing. There was an immediate improvement, then one day it was not so good and I worried the shirt was a one hit wonder, but after more use its good again.

What do the dogs do when you're not home to put the jacket on them?

I think it's recommended that if a storm is forecast and you're going to be out for the day to put it on the dog before you leave?

That is exactly what I would do, being a whippet he is very used to wearing coats through the winter, so wearing the thundershirt is no big deal for him. I guess if dogs are not used to wearing a coat it may take some time for them to get used to just wearing it, so it may take longer for it to have a positive effect.

Phew, just read the whole thread.

I am thinking of purchasing one for my Staffy and might also get one for my friends dog as well. My friends dog broke through his crate, destroyed the new blinds in the house, destroyed the door, and I think also broke a window. This was all due to fireworks on New Years Eve. We had shocking fireworks here, like bombs and they went on for hours.

My staffy measures 66cm around the widest part of his chest, just behind his elbows. Going by the links posted, I am thinking of a large. Can somebody please check that I am choosing the correct size according to those measurements. He weighs about 18kg-19kg. Thanks. :D

I think it's recommended that if a storm is forecast and you're going to be out for the day to put it on the dog before you leave?

Would not work in Melbourne, 30 during the day and pouring rain and freezing by 5pm.

Phew, just read the whole thread.

I am thinking of purchasing one for my Staffy and might also get one for my friends dog as well. My friends dog broke through his crate, destroyed the new blinds in the house, destroyed the door, and I think also broke a window. This was all due to fireworks on New Years Eve. We had shocking fireworks here, like bombs and they went on for hours.

My staffy measures 66cm around the widest part of his chest, just behind his elbows. Going by the links posted, I am thinking of a large. Can somebody please check that I am choosing the correct size according to those measurements. He weighs about 18kg-19kg. Thanks. :D

Mine arrived today, Smooch is 25inches (64cm) I bought the large but would have been better with the Medium. I am going to have to add a bit more velcro to mine to make it fit tighter.

Sold pending payment. I have a Heather Grey Large (greyhoundish) Thundershirt. Worn about 6 times. Has a chew hole in the front which does not affect the fit (it is in front of the velcro). Not chewed by the dog wearing it btw it was the new puppy sucking up to grumpy!. Lurcher hair comes at no extra charge.

$25? + postage. Pickup from Sydney CBD or local shows? - upcoming Wollindilly/Manly and probably Aust Day.

Edited by Meea

We have a storm approaching one clap of thunder and Smooch was heading towards ES's bedroom to hide, I grabbed the thundershirt and got it on him. Smooch is now laying on the floor next to me, still trembling a little but no where near what he used to. Everytime there is a huge rumbel he lifts his head looks around than puts his head down although he is still shaking a little. I am really surprised as I didn't really think it would work on him, by now he would normally be hiding under my computer table shaking the table.

We had another really bad storm here in Adelaide last night, and again Flynn was so much more relaxed with his thundershirt on.

He's still not completely relaxed but so much better, no panting, shaking etc. :thumbsup:

Would not work in Melbourne, 30 during the day and pouring rain and freezing by 5pm.

SwaY I have one on Sparkles now but won't leave it on when I am not around because I think she could get too hot or into trouble with it. Like Melbourne our days can be very hot and then the storm hits.

• 6 months later...

I just bought one for my sensitive boy today. Came home, put it on him and within 10 mins he was lying calmly on the floor. He hasn't t even been for his afternoon run yet! He usually has ants in his pants and only stops pacing if put in a down stay on his mat and reinforced periodically. Can't wait to see if it helps with his fear of new people too!

I found a use for my thundershirt. Cutting nails on a dog who goes berserk when you go near her feet! On went the thundershirt, and she just stood there while I trimmed a nail eek1.gif I doubled it with a soft muzzle so the combination of both calmed her right down. She looked funny, like she was in a straight jacket and the muzzle was slightly bent so she looked like she'd gone crazy and I was about to chuck her into a padded cell rofl1.gif

Guest lavendergirl

For those that may have missed it last week, Dr Harry did a house call on a very anxious Staffy… (Ned)

The Thundershirt was used in conjunction with other methods to calm Ned down

http://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com/better-homes-gardens/tv-and-video/video/watch/29909013

:)

Yes I saw that one - the other method was medication. Poor dog looked very anxious and probably needed meds.

For those that may have missed it last week, Dr Harry did a house call on a very anxious Staffy… (Ned)

The Thundershirt was used in conjunction with other methods to calm Ned down

http://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com/better-homes-gardens/tv-and-video/video/watch/29909013

Yes I saw that one - the other method was medication. Poor dog looked very anxious and probably needed meds.

The effect shown by the dog when he was cuddled was amazing…

He almost fell asleep on his doggy daddy's lap…

Nothing like a good pet hug

I think the medication was to be used in conjunction with the Thundershirt

Edited by Pets1

We have been selling tons of the Thundershirt at work, I didn't think they'd be quite as effective as the claims, but everyone has such great things to say about them - and that's what sells the product best in my opinion! You can be the best salesperson in the world, but nothing hits home like some positive word of mouth.

Thanks for the Dr Harry link, Pets1, I knew they were being featured, but I was busy and missed the show. I was surprised though at the price 'from $60' though and wonder if that's the norm for big cities - we're selling all sizes for $45.

I got mine the other week for Bosco. His anxiety has come back with a force since Kyah left and I have had to put him back on his meds because of it to try to keep him a bit relaxed during the day.

I have not had a chance to really test it out on him yet, because I don't want to leave it on him all day, but I will see how it goes when we go to training this week.

I just watched the link to Dr Harry, and Ned reminds me a lot of Bosco!! I didn't think you could leave the shirts on all day long though due to the pressure?

Edited by lokelani