helen

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks sas.

I might give him a go in it tomorrow while I am at work. Boz wears other coats during the day when it is cold and has no issues, but I thought I read somewhere that they should be checked every couple of hours or so incase they start to get sore where the pressure is applied??

It sounds as though that does not seem to be such an issue though so will see how he goes :)

Thanks all!

Thanks sas.

I might give him a go in it tomorrow while I am at work. Boz wears other coats during the day when it is cold and has no issues, but I thought I read somewhere that they should be checked every couple of hours or so incase they start to get sore where the pressure is applied??

It sounds as though that does not seem to be such an issue though so will see how he goes :)

Thanks all!

They need to be applied tight, but not too tight (gentle pressure), however the rule of thumb (as per Thundershirt instructions) is you should be able to slide your

fingers between the shirt and the dogs fur/skin easily… especially around the neck area

You should be able to easily slide your fingers under the Neck Straps and should not feel restricting around your dog's neck.

The thing I would be worried about with leaving it on all day...is the dog overheating, especially on a hot, humid, stormy Summers day. I don't even like putting it on my girl when the weather is like that, even for a couple of hours :( so because most storms happen in Summer, I don't get to use it much.

I have two, one for my increasingly storm phobic old boy and one for my girl who was a stress head in the car.....now she eagerly hops in the car and just sleeps and he is calm during storms instead of running around barking and stressing :)

• 11 months later...

Resurrecting this thread having read it as I'm wondering if a thundershirt might help Mac? As some might be aware my almost 14 year old westie has canine dementia which has worsened in the lat ten days to two weeks. He is finding it impossible to settle and is waking the whole household overnight for party games and constant wandering - last night it was 3.30 am - and that was after 2mg of valium at 10.30 pm. frown.gif The vet has given us the valium while the Lovan kicks in - about ten days. Mac is also deaf with poor night vision - so he seems more anxious overnight.

I've noticed he seems to calm if I cuddle him tight and he often wants to really snuggle in when he's on my bed - but I can't sleep like that.frown.gif. I've had about 5 hours sleep in the last two nights here so something is going to have to give. frown.gif

Has anyone used a thundershirt successfully with a dog with general anxiety, obsessive pacing and/or dementia? Thanks for any help or advice.

It's worth a good shot westiemum. A DAP diffuser could be very helpful also. Is he on arthritis meds?

Try giving the valium earlier too. :)

Perhaps look at those soft crate puppy pens for him so he is restricted to your room where he won't lose you. I also used a nightlight for a period, near the dog so they could orient themselves overnight. Kmart sell really cool ones that cost cents to run per hour and just plug in.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

You're a marvel S and T. Thanks tons. I'm really so sleep deprived I can barely think... I'll head to KMart on the way home tomorrow. Now I think about it he seems happier with a little light. Tonight I'll get the old bedside lamp out from the spare room. I'll see how he is tonight and get my airline crate to try him in if needs be,,,, no he's not on arthritis meds at the moment. I asked the vet about that last night as i had similar thoughts but he felt he was physically pretty good and we felt it was really dementia related as its so aimless and is overnight. at roughly the same time. The vet also said he's not showing signs of arthritis pain.

Thanks - much appreciated. smile.gif

Resurrecting this thread having read it as I'm wondering if a thundershirt might help Mac? As some might be aware my almost 14 year old westie has canine dementia which has worsened in the lat ten days to two weeks. He is finding it impossible to settle and is waking the whole household overnight for party games and constant wandering - last night it was 3.30 am - and that was after 2mg of valium at 10.30 pm. frown.gif The vet has given us the valium while the Lovan kicks in - about ten days. Mac is also deaf with poor night vision - so he seems more anxious overnight.

I've noticed he seems to calm if I cuddle him tight and he often wants to really snuggle in when he's on my bed - but I can't sleep like that.frown.gif. I've had about 5 hours sleep in the last two nights here so something is going to have to give. frown.gif

Has anyone used a thundershirt successfully with a dog with general anxiety, obsessive pacing and/or dementia? Thanks for any help or advice.

You can get much the same effect from a snug fitting t-shirt or try wrapping a wide bandage around him - it will give you an idea whether a thundershirt would work before buying one. This site has some pictures of how the bandage wraps around

http://peacefuldog.blogspot.com.au/2010/11/t-touch-and-anxiety-wraps.html

Thanks tons Rosetta, I'll pick up a wide bandage from the chemist on my way home tonight - that's a really good idea. smile.gif Or if I can find a t- shirt at KMart I might try that .

A bit better night last night - I left an open crate in the lounge with a little light. He still didn't settle well, even with some leftover lamb treats in the crate and he definitely didn't like the door closed. But will give it another go tonight... Thanks very much everyone. smile.gif

No probs, good luck with it. :)

We found with our Stafford, that even though she had a Chilly Dogs coat on all night, she was still waking from the cold - on her extremities perhaps..?? We don't run our central heating at night, so we just ran a small fin oil heater in the laundry - the dogs room.

It helped for a couple of cold seasons, then she seemed to be needing the toilet a few times through the night. :(

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

Hi all, S and T and Rosetta in particular. Well its 2.50 am and Mac's pacing was terrible 20 minutes ago. I have set up three night lights around the house and bought a heavy weight bandage from the chemist today and swaddled him in it as in your link Rosetta a few minutes ago - and he settled almost immediately - the effect has been really dramatic and he didn't protest against the bandage one bit - he's still heavy breathing but the pacing has stopped and he's lying quietly next to me on the lounge. thumbsup1.gif. Despite the expense I'm leaving the gas heater on in the lounge overnight as well at the moment - hopefully that will help too. (Is really cold overnight here at the moment - I think we are in for a really cold winter this year after a really mild one last year).

Now for some sleep myself... thanks again guys. Will report back again tomorrow.

Edited by westiemum

Hi all, S and T and Rosetta in particular. Well its 2.50 am and Mac's pacing was terrible 20 minutes ago. I have set up three night lights around the house and bought a heavy weight bandage from the chemist today and swaddled him in it as in your link Rosetta a few minutes ago - and he settled almost immediately - the effect has been really dramatic and he didn't protest against the bandage one bit - he's still heavy breathing but the pacing has stopped and he's lying quietly next to me on the lounge. thumbsup1.gif. Despite the expense I'm leaving the gas heater on in the lounge overnight as well at the moment - hopefully that will help too. (Is really cold overnight here at the moment - I think we are in for a really cold winter this year after a really mild one last year).

Now for some sleep myself... thanks again guys. Will report back again tomorrow.

Fingers crossed WM :crossfingers:

Mac - good boy. Mum needs to get some sleep :sleep:

Thanks Rosetta. We've had the most peaceful 5 hours in over a week - and Mac has slept peacefully and didn't move from the time I swaddled him in the bandage until 9 am - incredibly the swaddling bandage worked a treat. I've taken it off him to give him a break and ordered a thunder shirt for him. Pets providore had an end of line one for $29 and less than $10 postage from Perth so I've ordered that. smile.gif.

Thanks again everyone for all your help - sleep deprivation really is a 'b'.

Wow...that swaddling bandage did work a treat WM! here is hoping the Thundershirt does an equally good job.

A little OT but Penny is quite distressed in storms and I found that if I put on her wrap-around-doggie-lifejacket it settled her. Unfortunately, because Penny had been frightened by thunder, the other two have now decided they are also in fear of thunder, so if there is a storm during the day they all have their life jackets on, at night it seems to be a different story, they reckon that if they sleep on the bed they are safe :laugh:

Wow...that swaddling bandage did work a treat WM! here is hoping the Thundershirt does an equally good job.

A little OT but Penny is quite distressed in storms and I found that if I put on her wrap-around-doggie-lifejacket it settled her. Unfortunately, because Penny had been frightened by thunder, the other two have now decided they are also in fear of thunder, so if there is a storm during the day they all have their life jackets on, at night it seems to be a different story, they reckon that if they sleep on the bed they are safe :laugh:

Hi B - yep the effect was dramatic - I suppose its like a tight bear hug for a human - very comforting. I'm about to go out and run some errands and I'll take them with me - and I'll try the bandage again this afternoon hoping its not a once off!

Very interesting that the life jacket soothed Penny - more than likely the same mechanism working. Will be very interesting to see if the thunderjacket works for Mac. (I had the bandage comfortably tight on him last night - and he didn't bat an eyelid!)

Yes I'm hoping I can move back to my bed too if I can get Mac to settle! Would be nice! laugh.gif

Edited by westiemum