Injuries Caused By Dogs

Dee_al

Jaxson has just recently learnt how to jump onto the couch, and resturday when OH left him inside he was extremly over excited for some reason and flew onto the couch, which i happene to be lying on at the time. as he jumped onto the couch he skidded acros my arm, leaving 3 deep scratches on my left upper arm. needless to say it hurt quiet a bit! who else has had dog related injuries?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My other half was smacked in the mouth by my Whippet. It was bad enough that it should have been stitched. He'd made her do zoomies on the lounge and paid the price, I told him to suck it up and there was no sympathy from me.

I believe smacks to the head, from Whippets are common place :laugh:

My darling SBT bitch ran down the leash free, lauched herself at head height from behind and sunk her teeth into my shoulder on the way past.

My friends SBT tore her pants off and bit her on the arse while swimming in the dam.

My darling Pinky.. the more she loves you, the more injuries she inflicts, this is inherited from her mother.

Heaps over the years:

Puncture wounds from trying to break up fights (not always our dogs)

Badly bruised foot from kicking a dog that was attacking one of mine

Blood blisters on my fingers from one of our Dobes who had enough of me bossing her around (I was about 7 at the time)

I was bitten on the face quite badly as a teenager by my fathers nasty, cranky DA and HA Rotti X Bull Terrier

And plently of accidental scratches and bruises from rough play and over excited dogs

My nose is crooked thanks to a very lovely greyhound! doctor said he has no idea how it wasnt broken! I was in pain for months!

I have a scar on my head from where a bull terrier jumped on a door i was near and slammed it into my head

Scar from being bitten on my hand

a scar across my neck from Bella the cat, I was laying down, she was asleep on me, i sneezed, she got scared, i thought my throat had been slit! it was over 8 years ago and the scar is still there :D

scar on my arm from trying to worm Fanta :laugh:

I stuffed everything up in my back once by falling over Atlas, he just stopped walking, i kept walking, Chiro made a lot of money out of me on that one! :p

Earring ripped out by kaos :grouphug: right through my ear lobe, god that hurt! (I was trying to sleep and she wanted to play, she started to dig at the doona and got me instead!)

I am sure i will remember more if i try! :D

Edited by Teebs

Ohh I forgot one. My SBT male was reverse sneezing one night and I rolled over in bed, still half asleep to open his mouth and stop it. I scared him ( i think ) failed to open his mouth and somehow stuck my thumb in and he put a canine through my thumb nail and into my hand.

That was not pretty at 2am

ETA: I think I have buried the more painfull memories but they are all flooding back now.

Audrey pierced my ear last year at the SBT Specialty in Newcastle, that made for a crap end to a great winning day, with an 8 week old baby canine put through it :D blood and needing to lay down was how that one ended :laugh:

SBT's are bad for your health

Edited by ReadySetGo

After 13 years as a dog groomer I could be here for hours :laugh: I have only been badly bitten a couple of times and they were from poor dogs who have a severe phobia of being groomed. Most of my injuries were caused by scratches.

The worst was a Shepherd who thought it would be fun to jump on my back after I had been siting down on the ground cutting his nails. His claws went through my grooming cape and my shirt. There was blood everywhere and I had some wicked nail marks down my back for over a month. Needless to say my OH questioned me a lot that night about what I got up to at work :D

The only bad injury I've had was caused by Akira a week after we got her. The idiot decided to put her head under the fence and got herself stuck, so as I flexed the fence back to pull her out I hurt her and she bit my finger in fear. All good, didn't bleed or anything - until two days later, when my finger swelled up, went bright red and started oozing. Feral. Ended up on antibiotics.

Other than that, it's just been minor bruises and scratches, though yesterday my hand had bright red teeth marks where she decided to mouth me while I was trying to brush her pants.

I have a 5cm scar on my wrist from a bite wound which needed several stitches after I broke up a fight between two female staffords - a speyed 4 yr old and a 9 mth old(the pup bit me as she was very freaked out by being attacked - these two never forgave each other). I learnt my lesson - don't use your bare hands to break up a dog fight!!

Nothing that was intentional on the dogs' part and nothing that wasn't my fault, but a few none the less.

Plenty of scratches from when I can't resist and call him over to me when we're swimming - I don't know what he's thinking, he comes and like tries to leap onto you in the water :s

The worst was probably one time when I'd been out all day, had a pretty hard day and so was extremely happy to see him and vice versa. Anyway, he was trying to stop himself from jumping, I couldn't stop myself from hugging him and next thing you know his head connected with my lip and I nearly put my own teeth through it. Looked like I'd been whacked in the mouth lol and there was a ridiculous amount of blood. Damn dog seems to be impervious to injury and made out of solid rock.

How long have you got ??!!!!

Had my knees knocked inside out by puppy wolfhounds doing zoomies, broken up a bitch fight and some pretty impresive punctures, pulled over by excited young hounds onlead, leaned on, stood on, sat on, had my lip split by a wolfhound turning his head towards me suddenly, had a hound jump at a steel gate with flew into my face/head, and of course for those that know me, the famous fall in a wolfhound dug hole in the dark with my leg some where up my back !!!

But compared to friends with horses & cattle, I get off lightly !!!!

fifi

My nose is crooked thanks to a very lovely greyhound! doctor said he has no idea how it wasnt broken! I was in pain for months!

I have a scar on my head from where a bull terrier jumped on a door i was near and slammed it into my head

Scar from being bitten on my hand

a scar across my neck from Bella the cat, I was laying down, she was asleep on me, i sneezed, she got scared, i thought my throat had been slit! it was over 8 years ago and the scar is still there :D

scar on my arm from trying to worm Fanta :laugh:

I stuffed everything up in my back once by falling over Atlas, he just stopped walking, i kept walking, Chiro made a lot of money out of me on that one! :p

Earring ripped out by kaos :grouphug: right through my ear lobe, god that hurt! (I was trying to sleep and she wanted to play, she started to dig at the doona and got me instead!)

I am sure i will remember more if i try! :D

Gosh that one about the cat and your neck is scary! Was the damage done with claw or tooth? My mum's cat attacks us at night time, I would avoid staying there solely for that reason (if there weren't enough others...) He's fine during the day, just a normal cat, but come night when he seems to know you can't see him (or if you have both hands full) he will leap at your feet and ankles and make them bleed :s Crazy animal.

another time was when Kane jumped up under my chin. I have a bung jw which on a regularbasis gets stuck and i can only open it a short way. One this one walk, my jaw was in stuck mode. we went to the park and i went to bend down, kane jumped up and hit me smack in the chin. hurt like hell but unclicked my jaw and has been fine ever since!

another time was caused by my mums GR. this dog just cant wim. ive no idea what he does but he just cant swim. one day he followed kane out into a lake and then realised he couldnt touch the bottom and then he freaked out. i went to rescue him, which resulted in him trying to climb ontop of me, leaving me COVERED in scratches. all over the front of my body!

Edited by Dee_al

Gosh that one about the cat and your neck is scary! Was the damage done with claw or tooth? My mum's cat attacks us at night time, I would avoid staying there solely for that reason (if there weren't enough others...) He's fine during the day, just a normal cat, but come night when he seems to know you can't see him (or if you have both hands full) he will leap at your feet and ankles and make them bleed :s Crazy animal.

Her claw, she was scared and just jumped up and took off, i bled a lot and was bloody sorry, but looked worse than it actually was.

Bella is one of the best cats i have owned :laugh: she has never attacked me or anyone, loves people and the only time I have been hurt by her was this once.

Cats can do serious damage and I would never keep one that attacked people

My feet are almost permanently bruised from having a 60kg+ stand on them on a regular basis.

Dislocated my knee showing the dog.

Numerous welts down my back, torso etc from a dane who liked to cuddle (jumps up on shoulders) but had dew claws still.

Numerous bruises for being collected by a zooming dane

Nose has been whacked a few times and split lips.

Got my nose bitten by a 12 week old JRT the other day :laugh:

my mums ill tempered pomeranian decided to latch onto my booby once ... little shit was swinging off growling and thrashing, I went to smack him and he let go, did a 180 and latched onto my palm/wrist sinking his teeth down to the bone. Thankfully his teeth were bad and the fact he knocked one out was the only reason he stopped. Looked like I leaked a rainbow paddle pop all over my boob for weeks :D

everyone else ... nope no other dog would.

OH on the other hand .. oh hell every dog in the house has bitten him.

When rottie was young OH got out of bed once sans undies ... rottie looks up and goes OOH SAUSAGE *CHOMP* I wake up to OH screaming and clutching himself trying to chase the dog around the bedroom

Rolled over onto my malinois once while I was away - a canine through the skin into gum below the lower lip, torn top lip and somehow another cut near his eye. The time before he snuck up behind her and grabbed her by the hindquarters screaming RAHHH, and wondered why she turned and raked his temple with her canines.

And to top it off, dogue goes and shreds 4 bags of garbage, eats all the scraps so is the size of a balloon. OH decides to go outside and tell him off while him, an entire 5yo male, is standing in the middle of his garbage pile. Dogue grabs OH's tshirt while he stands over him, leaving a nice set of teeth marks on his stomach. I go outside and OH has an 8 foot bamboo cane yelping HE BIT ME meanwhile almost poking my eyes out with this ineffective cane, dogue is getting really pissed off at this point and I'm about to poke OH in the eye with said bamboo cane. Honestly over a bit of garbage which I was going to pick up anyway :laugh: and nothing but really a scratch which left no bruising

ETA I had a client once, had a really massive dog. Ran back to her during a recall, slammed into her legs and put her in hospital to pin one leg back together - dog had shattered the bones

Edited by Nekhbet

Polo has broken a friends ankle :D Hi poodlefan :laugh:

Worst they've done to me is split lips (including in the obedience trial ring) and various bruises and scratches.

Edited by FHRP

My worst bite was a kelpie who 'heeled' me :D ran in, grabbed a mouthful of calf muscle, and ran away as I hit the deck screaming :laugh:

That was very painful, and swollen and horrible.

The most embarrassing?

Working as a newbie at the vets , trying to hold a chi... when it latched onto my nose!! blood pouring everywhere, and the vet standing there laughing ! :p Took ages to stop the holes bleeding , too!

my mums ill tempered pomeranian decided to latch onto my booby once ... little shit was swinging off growling and thrashing, I went to smack him and he let go, did a 180 and latched onto my palm/wrist sinking his teeth down to the bone. Thankfully his teeth were bad and the fact he knocked one out was the only reason he stopped. Looked like I leaked a rainbow paddle pop all over my boob for weeks :grouphug:

everyone else ... nope no other dog would.

OH on the other hand .. oh hell every dog in the house has bitten him.

When rottie was young OH got out of bed once sans undies ... rottie looks up and goes OOH SAUSAGE *CHOMP* I wake up to OH screaming and clutching himself trying to chase the dog around the bedroom

Rolled over onto my malinois once while I was away - a canine through the skin into gum below the lower lip, torn top lip and somehow another cut near his eye. The time before he snuck up behind her and grabbed her by the hindquarters screaming RAHHH, and wondered why she turned and raked his temple with her canines.

And to top it off, dogue goes and shreds 4 bags of garbage, eats all the scraps so is the size of a balloon. OH decides to go outside and tell him off while him, an entire 5yo male, is standing in the middle of his garbage pile. Dogue grabs OH's tshirt while he stands over him, leaving a nice set of teeth marks on his stomach. I go outside and OH has an 8 foot bamboo cane yelping HE BIT ME meanwhile almost poking my eyes out with this ineffective cane, dogue is getting really pissed off at this point and I'm about to poke OH in the eye with said bamboo cane. Honestly over a bit of garbage which I was going to pick up anyway :laugh: and nothing but really a scratch which left no bruising

ETA I had a client once, had a really massive dog. Ran back to her during a recall, slammed into her legs and put her in hospital to pin one leg back together - dog had shattered the bones

I realise this would have been very painful, but the picture it created :D :p :D