Injuries Caused By Dogs

Dee_al

The worst I've ever had was a cut and slightly squashed finger from stupidly playing tug with two dogs at once using a pocket tug. Even as I was doing it I was thinking "this isn't very bright".

Worst animal-related injury I've had was a Squirrel Glider bite. Those things have teeth like chisels and have a talent for finding the finger that isn't protected by a glove. I got bitten by a bat once as well. It wasn't bad, but I did have to get rabies boosters. Mexico has some birds that leave blood blisters when they bite, I discovered. Cardinals hurt like buggery and those Blue Grossbeaks always got me because I was too busy being relieved it wasn't a Black-headed Grossbeak to watch what I was doing. I very nearly got slashed by a hawk one day, but luckily I apparently have the reflexes of a cat and got away with a graze. That's not a very impressive list of animal-related injuries, considering! I think the 200+ sandfly bites from Curtis Island field work was much worse than all of them combined. That had me on the brink of madness.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow, I'm lucky. I've only ever had two pet-related injuries (if you can call them that, they are more like 'ouchies'.)

First one was our cat when I was about 14. Hand in the wrong place at the wrong time whilst playing and I copped a chunk out of the corner of my thumb.

Second was my parent's boofa. Her skull to my nose in all the excitement. It hurt, but no blood nose, no broken nose. Learnt fast to keep nose out of the way when she started to wiggle her bum which is her first gear of excitement.

That's it. I can't believe it. :rofl:

Edit - I ran into my nan's couch in a last ditch effort to avoid walking into the dog. Big lump and bruise. Can I blame the dog for that? :D

I think I must be just lucky.

Edited by Henrietta

more bruises and scrathes than one could even try to count

broken finger , resulting in 4 screws and months off work

tore my achillies at agility training ,sort of the dogs fault :D luckily was only a small tear and was mended with physio and short time off work only :rofl:

needless to say work are not that happy with my attendance record over the last 12 months :eek:

always twisting ankles etc when walking . I swear it is not good for your health to get out and be active :rofl:

Edited by Chezy & Chopper

I have had my fair share of battle wounds from my dogs and others over the years. Been bitten by a couple of dogs that were not mine resulting in a nice little scar under my eye on the day my sister was getting married courtesy of my mum's Rottie which was actually my fault as I inadvertently scared her. Had a lovely GR sink its teeth into my hand, when I gave it a bone, ouch that hurt. Have nursed a few bruises from my own labs barrelling into me at great speed and had some minor scrapes and scratching and nipping from overexcited lab puppies, with the exception of my current lab youngster who has had fantastic bite inhibition and so far so good with not being barrelled into my him as he has pretty good avoidance skills when he runs at me at great speed :rofl: Being around labs for many years, I am sure I will get to experience a "barrelling" from him at great speed at some during his lifetime :D My poor feet have taken a pounding from large labbies standing on them, particularly when they are excited (which is lots :rofl: ) or when I am being mobbed by them :eek:

My worst injuries have actually occurred when I have been out walking my dogs and not caused by the dogs themslves but rather from me not watching where I am walking and I have had a couple of falls, one of which resulted in a broken elbow (ouch ouch ouch), sprained ankles and I have also had a couple of twisted ankles by stepping into pot holes/uneven surfaces with the most recent being a twisted ankle on Friday which curtailed my walking activites for a couple of days. I have also tripped over long leads and had sore arms, shoulders, backs & discolated finger from over exhuberant labs on walks pulling when I least expect it :eek: Helps to have a sense of humour though as anytime I have had a fall when out walking a lab, they think it is a game and cover me in lots of licks and get on the ground and roll around all excited and whilst I have been in great pain, their antics have made me laugh :eek: . The falls also happen when I am walking a fair distance from my home or car so I have had hobble great distances nursing an injury whilst still trying to walk my lab who luckily sense that poor old mum is in a bit of pain and slow down accordingly :cry:

ETA - lost count of the number of uppercuts to the jaw or nose I have received from when I have been leaning down to pat/hug/kiss them and they lift their heads up at the same time - labbies have bloody hard heads :cry:

Edited by labsrule

Puncture wound on t he hand from breaking up a fight. Very very very deep... I was meant to cook dinner that night, but couldn't because of the blood pouring out of my hand, so my brother got grounded for a week for not helping me :rofl: I really should've had stitches and gone to hospital for it but Mum wasn't home and wasn't answering her mobile... by the time she got home it was too late to do anything about it.

Numerous scratches from sharp claws and puppy teeth.. some have scarred.

The latest is a very sore nose.. Bundy whacked me in the nose with his head while doing the waggiest tail comp at the Underdog open day on Sunday... I am actually surprised I didn't break it :D

OH got a black eye from Diesel's snout when he accidentally poked it HARD into OH's eye.. OH was letting Diesey lick his face, then Diesel moved and OH didn't so he got a shiner...

Edited by Bundy's Mum

Get a buddhist breed! :D

You can still trip over 'em. :rofl:

Buddhist dogs don't spend too much time on the ground. :rofl:

From TibbieNet: They enjoy any high lookout such as a window sill from which to survey their territory .

Pic of buddhist dog in action:

post-3304-1291077272_thumb.jpg

Edited by mita

I have 2 memorable and disfiguring ones, both by SBT's. A friend's SBT pup decided to launch itself into the air off my septic tank assuming I would catch it. It's teeth and my teeth collided taking a chunk off the bottom of my front tooth. I have had it filled numerous times since then and it still falls out so I look a bit special between dental visits.

My second more serious one has life long repurcussions. I got an SBT rescue pup. I was carrying a load of washing to the line when the pup got under my feet and I landed on the concrete on my butt. It hurt a lot but xrays didn't identify any damage. Next day I was vomiting with the pain. An abcess started growing on the base of my spine. I was living on pain killers for weeks while they tried to treat it with antibiotics. Couldn't sit, couldn't sleep, could only lie on my side. Then it started leaking. Then I had emergency surgery. Then I had drains hanging out of two holes in my butt for 7 weeks. Then I had surgery again to put experimental pigs bits into the holes. Three months off work, most of which was spent lying on my side either in pain or oozing gross stuff. A third of my core body muscles were damaged by the abcess and ooze which will lead to incontinence from both ends in my old age. I still have the dog though - she ended up being my heart girl and I adore every inch of her.

Plenty of other minor injuries breaking up fights, being used as a launch pad or having my arms ripped from their sockets when someone on the end of a leash does a bolt but that's just part of living with crazy dogs.

Ouch, some of these injuries sound very serious.

In all the years of keeping large dogs the worst I've had is a couple of twisted ankles (not really the dogs' fault but gained doing things with them), a torn calf muscle (ditto) and a bruised finger (which I will blame on the dog).

I'm off to count my blessings now....

Edited by Diva

My worst was when I bent down in front of the bed and got hit in the cheek bone by a flying Ziggy. He'd decided to jump on the bed at the same time as I bent over. I literally saw stars and had one hell of a shiner.

Ishy - last time I did my ankle, I snapped the ligaments on both sides, so basically it bent to 90 degrees one way and then back the other. That one wasn't the dogs' fault though.

My worst injury was a couple of broken ribs when Mokha got a frightened by a big scary cat and pulled me over. Considering I live with two labs and two cats I dont think I have done too bad. Whats a few bruises and scratches, a sprained wrist here and there when you get all that love.

The odd scar on me from dogs, had a split lip when I was younger and our Airedale jumped up and put my tooth through my lip.

Best injury from a dog is nearly loosing the top of my left index finger after being bitten accidently. I tried to get some lamb shank out of my danes mouth and she went crunch I went to hospital and the thought was there was nothing broken - wrong it was broken I all could do was laugh about it. Went to theatre the next day and had it repaired, was told by the surgeon I was very lucky as the tip was only just attached I suspect if I was a male it would have been amputated. Best thing about it was I got Christmas and New Year off that year. My finger works very well and unless it is pointed out no one would know it was injured, does have a different sensation from my other fingers.

and dogs are supposed to be " mans best friend" :thumbsup:

They're definitely a casualty department's best friend. :D

First question I ask people who come in with a minor dog related injury is where is the dog and is it ok? then I think about the patient :D