What've You Done With Your Photography This Year?

iltby

well I certainly haven't achieved any thing like you guys.....but I think I am improving :o

I have tried to take some different type photo's to what i would usually take ( still 99% are of the dogs )

I have tried to have a go at editing....nothing like photoshop or lightroom they are way to hard for me :)

I have played about with setting rather than stay on the same old one....mind you have had many a time I could have smashed the camera :provoke: .....but....Im really enjoying myself.......

here are a couple of my fav's.....like I said no where near as good as you guys above

fav.jpgfav1.jpg

fav2.jpg

fav3.jpg

Edited by Frodo's mum

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had a DSLR for 3 years this xmas but only this year after reading the photos forum on DOL have I realised that you can do so much more with your pictures!

Sooooo I have learnt what aperture, shutter speed and ISO mean. I have tried stuff off the auto setting.

I have bought some DSLR photography book, Bought Photoshop (which i still have NFI how to use :grouphug: ) and bought a 50mm 1.4 lens and I am hoping santy claus brings me a 70-200mm USM IS II 2.8 lens.

:D

I did a couple of different things this year that I really enjoyed

The first was helping someone to learn more about photography. She thought she was having focusing problems and after a bit of a chat I discovered she bad lighting so helped out there. I am going to sign up as a mentor at the camera club once I get my life more organised :grouphug:

The second was the discovery of personal projects, why they are great to do, and just how enjoyable they are

Guest belgian.blue

Well I improved by buying a 550D :laugh:

I'm yet to really use the camera to it's full potential but I'm taking far better shots with the Canon than the Pentax hehe. So much more fun to use.

This one I was really impressed to capture .. full head shake and I got one eye in focus

BadgerandIvy29082010022.jpg

Some reason I really like this one .. Kings Park native gardens

IMG_0290.jpg

Black faced dogs are really hard to photograph but I'm doing well!

IMG_0024.jpg

Because he's adorable

IMG_0165.jpg

post-25682-1291451667_thumb.jpg

Edited by belgian.blue

Well I still can't even work out how to get my photo's up properly on this site, thought I had tried everything reducing size, uploading from flickr to no avail.

So I am complete failure, would have loved to join the challenges properly.

Hi All,

I have invested some time (and money) in expanding my interest in fish (Discus in particular) and feel that I am finally getting the hang of using macro and various lighting techniques to take some half decent shots.

These are a couple of pics of some recently hatched fry with dad.

Regards,

Bob

post-371-1291516774_thumb.jpg

post-371-1291516797_thumb.jpg

Bec, I loved your aged photo preset if that was that desaturated browny greeny look so many had, but I understand what you are saying about not relying on editing and learning to take a better photo in the first place, although I think yours are pretty good anyway.

Yeah thats the one. I think I reeeeally went overboard with it but thanks! :)

I've seen worse filter crimes, don't beat yourself up about it.

--

Nice progress lovemesideways! :)

Bec, I loved your aged photo preset if that was that desaturated browny greeny look so many had, but I understand what you are saying about not relying on editing and learning to take a better photo in the first place, although I think yours are pretty good anyway.

Yeah thats the one. I think I reeeeally went overboard with it but thanks! :(

.....but it is /was "you"

I adore my photos you took of my boyz and I guess it was cause of you (& many others here ) I bought a DSLR to try and take

more special shots of my lads to share with all & me,myself :(

Like kirislin I am having "fun" with this new medium although I know my mother wishes I was drawing/sketching instead :laugh:

bec, I look forward to next years shoot with the lads to celebrate my 'middle year crisis" :cheer: I am planning it !

To everyone on this photo thread .... I celebrate your "well deserved achievements" and the inspiration & support your give to all us "newbies" :rofl:

I have had a DSLR for about two years now and have done a few short courses, but I seem to take one step forward then three back.

In January I am going to join the local camera club and hope to learn lots from other members.

I do love it and drive everyone mad because I am always snapping photos of them. I seem to lack that artistic flair and I am not sure that is something that you learn or you just have it

I love all your photos and they have inspired me to get off my butt and keep trying

This is just a couple of random shots, happy for advice

DSC06764.jpg

DSC06594.jpg

Hi All,

I have invested some time (and money) in expanding my interest in fish (Discus in particular) and feel that I am finally getting the hang of using macro and various lighting techniques to take some half decent shots.

These are a couple of pics of some recently hatched fry with dad.

Regards,

Bob

I love those fish, great photos

Well I still can't even work out how to get my photo's up properly on this site, thought I had tried everything reducing size, uploading from flickr to no avail.

So I am complete failure, would have loved to join the challenges properly.

right click on the image you want in flickr, choose "view all sizes medium 640" then right click on that image choose "copy image location"

come over here (I use a different window/tab) in your reply click on the "insert image" button and right click over the http and choose paste ... hopefully viola :cheer:

Yeah thats the one. I think I reeeeally went overboard with it but thanks! :rofl:

I've seen worse filter crimes, don't beat yourself up about it.

--

Nice progress lovemesideways! :thumbsup:

:D Thanks!

Just got an early xmas present..........................wonderful husband got me a canon 70-200mm IS Usm 2.8 lens weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

:laugh: ;) :D :thumbsup: :D

I didnt need santy claus after all!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now can practice taking super shots as soon as it stops pouring down with rain and my glass of wine wears off :laugh: ....would hate to drop lens on day 1 hahahahaa

That will amp up my pictures for 2011. :laugh:

okay, I've been looking at this thread since it started ... enjoy your more positive reply "Snook", must admit you totally threw me with your new name :rofl: ... and really trying to think of a way to add my little bit, as photography is a thorough obsession :(

congratulations to all who have made such great progress and achievements :rofl: really impressive!!!

Initially I was thinking, well I've done nothing really, nothing like some great successes of others here, like Kirislin I just really enjoy the process of taking photos, looking for the next elusive "great shot" and for me, so often falling short of my expectations, hence why I rarely ever actually post any of my images :D And well I guess maybe if I'd had some goals at the beginning of the year I would have achieved more, or at least been able to have a benchmark of how I'd gone.

I've met some wonderful dolers and done a couple of personal projects that I'm very happy with including a shot a month of my 4 pack. I would like to have learnt more about editing, I would like to have learnt more about flash photography, and I really would like to be generally more creative, for the most part I feel my photos are just an educated guess, and generally lacking emotion. Considering I began this hobby with the idea of capturing my dogs particularly in play, I haven't really progressed very much. I have recently discovered an interest in macro and landscape photography but being so early in this genre I have no idea how I'm actually going. I think a camera club would be a good place for me to go, yet struggle with work and life (work so many weekends) and a little of the personal fear of new places and people that it seems highly unlikely I will ever get around to that :D I have enjoyed a lot of my time on flickr, not sure if that's helped or hindered ...

To think a little more positively, I have a very good grasp of the technicalities of photography, and know I've spent way too long in the "wide open" aperture but I just can't resist it, and realise this weakness, I love light and look at the world around me in a very different way to the way I used to, and I'm enjoying everything a lot more, even the stupid-o-clock mornings on the way to work, the sunrise from the west towards the city is just so gorgeous some mornings :o

edit to add: I did figure out how to do this :rofl: fun and very time consuming shake

Edited by Clicking Mad

I have made more of an affort this year but still not enough of one. I have a copy of understanding exposure and hopefully a new body on the way for Christmas :rofl: And I am also going to follow through with 52weeks and really try to improve.

However this is a shot I took in January:

4278223211_e11c2851ec.jpg

And a month or so ago

5003735247_be1a748e82.jpg

Edited by RallyValley

okay, I've been looking at this thread since it started ... enjoy your more positive reply "Snook", must admit you totally threw me with your new name :rofl: ... and really trying to think of a way to add my little bit, as photography is a thorough obsession :dunce:

congratulations to all who have made such great progress and achievements :dummy: really impressive!!!

Initially I was thinking, well I've done nothing really, nothing like some great successes of others here, like Kirislin I just really enjoy the process of taking photos, looking for the next elusive "great shot" and for me, so often falling short of my expectations, hence why I rarely ever actually post any of my images ;) And well I guess maybe if I'd had some goals at the beginning of the year I would have achieved more, or at least been able to have a benchmark of how I'd gone.

I've met some wonderful dolers and done a couple of personal projects that I'm very happy with including a shot a month of my 4 pack. I would like to have learnt more about editing, I would like to have learnt more about flash photography, and I really would like to be generally more creative, for the most part I feel my photos are just an educated guess, and generally lacking emotion. Considering I began this hobby with the idea of capturing my dogs particularly in play, I haven't really progressed very much. I have recently discovered an interest in macro and landscape photography but being so early in this genre I have no idea how I'm actually going. I think a camera club would be a good place for me to go, yet struggle with work and life (work so many weekends) and a little of the personal fear of new places and people that it seems highly unlikely I will ever get around to that :) I have enjoyed a lot of my time on flickr, not sure if that's helped or hindered ...

To think a little more positively, I have a very good grasp of the technicalities of photography, and know I've spent way too long in the "wide open" aperture but I just can't resist it, and realise this weakness, I love light and look at the world around me in a very different way to the way I used to, and I'm enjoying everything a lot more, even the stupid-o-clock mornings on the way to work, the sunrise from the west towards the city is just so gorgeous some mornings :dunce:

edit to add: I did figure out how to do this :laugh: fun and very time consuming shake

I think your photography is so wonderful, I absolutely love looking at your dog photos :) I really admire all your stuff, I think you need to give yourself more credit!

That video is amazing, too.

Jen, your progress is brilliant :)

Edited by iltbyâ„¢