Here We Go Mandatory Desexing For All Pet Puppies.

Steve

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/12...9244.htm

Proposed animal laws 'smart': RSPCA

Updated 6 hours 38 minutes ago

The RSPCA is backing a draft bill that would make the ACT's animal welfare laws the toughest in the nation.

The draft bill was introduced to the Assembly yesterday by the Greens and would enforce all dogs and cats to be desexed at the point of sale.

Other measures include tighter restrictions for pet shops and higher fines for animal cruelty.

The Chief Executive of the ACT RSPCA Michael Linke says desexing animals at the point of sale would make a significant impact.

"The law in the ACT is to have a cat desexed at 12 weeks of age or a dog desexed at 6 months of age, the problem is that pet shops, newspaper sales, the internet sales are selling these animals younger than that," he said.

"So there's a loophole...this type of legislation will guarantee that we have legislation in Canberra with teeth that will stop the influx of animals here at the RSPCA."

Another proposal is to ban pet shops from displaying kittens and puppies in the front window, and prohibiting children from buying pets.

Mr Linke says he's been advocating for many of the measures outlined in the draft bill for years , and he's urging all sides of politics to support it.

"We'll be lobbying strenuously with the Chief Minister and his cabinet as well as the Liberal Party to see that smart legislation like this does get carriage and gets passed by the ACT Legislative Assembly," he said.

"It's laws that we need in Canberra, it's not going to negatively affect anybody. It's positive, good sense legislation and I'm hoping it gets tripartisan support."

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another proposal is to ban pet shops from displaying kittens and puppies in the front window, and prohibiting children from buying pets.

I would agree to the above myself. I can see some merit in this part. Not too sure about some of the other points though.

I would agree to the above myself. I can see some merit in this part. Not too sure about some of the other points though.

I was about to say: Hear Hear, until I realised how tokenistic this part of the bill appears to be.

Isn't this some kind of dampening?

If they get people to agree to that, it then makes it more likely they will concede to the other parts of the bill.

Certainly I personally, would have to see the bill, and perhaps all pet breeders should have a squiz at it, too.

Quote: "Other measures include tighter restrictions for pet shops and higher fines for animal cruelty." end quote. 'Proposed animal laws 'smart': RSPCA' ABC News. Dec 9, 2010.

Gets my vote

Although what I think is needed is a curb on impulse buying.

Prospective pet owners should be required to substantiate a full and complete plan, something akin to being 'vetted' by breeders when they inquire about animals.

Edited by pewithers

Say no to any new laws.If its already law to have pets desexed at 12 weeks then where is the bloody problem? Why not just police the law they already have? Oh thats right they cant - because a dog is my property and if I dont want to have its organs yanked out they cant make me.

I will not sell my Maremma puppies or my beagle puppies at 8 weeks desexed. Full stop.If someone wants to desex their 12 week old pup thats their decision but no animal Im responsible for will be de sexed before its first birthday.

Do they really think that this would do anything to stop people from interstate selling puppies at 8 weeks to people who live in their state entire anyway ?

What is the point of banning pets being displayed in the window ?

One only has to step inside the door to buy them. People don't just buy what is in the window from shops.

This won't achieve anything.

In the same line...and prohibiting children from buying pets....who would sell to a child unsupervised by an adult anyway?

I believe some parts have merit and need a bit of work. But then again all my puppies are desexed before they leave me, so I am biased and working in animal rescue certainly I see my overshare of where the system has failed in the abundance of pupies and purebred/mongrel dogs who wind up in shelters and pounds.

What is the point of banning pets being displayed in the window ?

One only has to step inside the door to buy them. People don't just buy what is in the window from shops.

This won't achieve anything.

In the same line...and prohibiting children from buying pets....who would sell to a child unsupervised by an adult anyway?

It would depend on the definition of a child within the act. Obviously one at five or even six years of age should have a parent with them anyway.

But what about a teenager of thirteen, fourteen or fifteen that goes to a shopping centre after school and buys a pup on a whim without parents prior knowledge? In this case I can think of quite a few places that would sell a pet to a teenager without a second thought.

Don't always think that a legal instrument when it refers to "Child" will always mean the same as you refer to "Child".

As usual, those who would do the right thing anyway will feel forced into compliance, and those who are outside regulations and law won't give a toss and ignore it.

More red tape, more rules, more restrictions - when in reality those who should be the target of authorities will continue to do as they please.

I haven't desexed my dog, and don't intend to unless she needs it for health reasons. I'd never desex a working dog that young, unless necessary. I think that's my right to make that decision, unless perhaps I prove to be a hopelessly irresponsible owner.

Edited by Staranais

The draft bill was introduced to the Assembly yesterday by the Greens and would enforce all dogs and cats to be desexed at the point of sale.

So exactly where are tomorrow's animals supposed to come from? Other states, assuming they don't follow suit. If it said All dogs and cats sold from pet shops, pounds, shelters and rescues to be desexed at the point of purchase, then I'd probably support it.

Yes, most pet owner should desex their pet, but not all. And how do they propose to enforce it? 10 years after the law was passed, they still don't proactively enforce microchipping and registration in NSW, so how are they going to enforce this?

Edited by Aussienot

Is anyone lobbying the ACT government over this? I would have thought the kennel club (I'm assuming its DogsNSW) would at least have an interest?

It's Dogs ACT and I'm checking.

I'm looking at the exposure draft now. It has some great and some not so great contents. Point of sale desexing is NOT mandatory.

Link to exposure draft for those interested.

Edited by poodlefan

The problem with this sort of micro managing is that in reality it's never going to work. Legislation already exists but it isn't policed or complied with.

They are focusing on the issue of the pet when the real problem is the issue of irresponsible, useless owners.

There will always be backyard breeders and normal folk who want to breed and sell their puppies cos they can. Unless these types of people are educated or fined more than they get from a litter they will continue doing it. And sadly people will continue buying the puppies.

Petshops should be targetted however. They provide an easy outlet for the sale of byb pups. Targetting them would have a significant impact I would think. It won't fix the problem but it makes the quest for a quick buck and easy sale of the puppies much more difficult and time consuming on their part.