Tattoo Ears

Guest muttrus

Guest muttrus

Hi I have two dogs with ear tattoo's while googleing what it meant the best answers seemed to be on here some ears ago.

But I would like to know more. I thought these were x breeds they are under 3 months old yet all the info I could find were about greyhounds and german sheppards

could anyone give me any more info? its a circle with a line through it which I believe means they are de-sexed.

Is it old school to still be done ? or maybe just one vets common practise?

I mainly would like to know for my knowledge but also because it seems there isn't much info on the subject anywhere

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest RANDCMOORE31

I always thought it was to indicate that they were microchipped - but considering I had all mine microchipped at the same time they were desexed - it quite possibly relates to the desexing.

As stated a desex tattoo. I think in Vic it is still option for the tattoo.

I do like the fact they can put a M in the other ear to notify about a microchip. But you would have to still be able to read the tattoo as Microchips can and do move about the body.

Ear tattooing was a way for certain breeds to be permanently identified (eg; GSD's, Rottweilers) before the microchip came along. It was usually a series of say 3 letters and 3 numbers, the letters identified the kennel and the number indicates the puppy number so that they could be recorded and matched up with the pedigree and required for proof the dog is what the pedigree says it is. Hope that makes sense.

Edited by Stolzseinrotts

Great topic Muttrus..........Makes life so much easier finding one. :laugh:

It's a bit easier to tell with a male if they've been desexed :laugh: Our bitches were tattood, our dog was not.

No offense intended idigadog, but I have been caught out with that theory (No visible wheels = No balls) :thumbsup:

Some pups and younger dogs can have retained testicles or sometimes older dogs a very small scrotum post surgery. So it can be difficult to tell without the tattoo.

And yep it should be a line through a circle, can be very hard to see in some ears though, sometimes they are so faint, or the ears filthy.

I'm talking all types here, pure and cross, so please don't jump on me :)

Cheers

Chipps

Edited by Chipps

our BC is desexed but i have never been able to find a tatt in his ear tho, so i guess its not mandatory

It's a bit easier to tell with a male if they've been desexed :laugh: Our bitches were tattood, our dog was not.

An entire dog with retained testicles can look and feel exactly like a desexed dog, so the tattoo should really be used on males too.

The tattoo is compulsory in QLD now.

Guest muttrus

see I thought they just didn't do it anymore but clearly they still do.

Never in the last 16 years had I been asked if I wanted a tattoo on my dogs and thinking about it now I would have said yes.As for one with an M I would say yes too

later in life my older dog's chip could not be found and I was told that they can move so yes the chip is not fool proof

I guess there are other things to think of some people may see a tattoo as ugly then there could be those who would do horric things to a dog for removing it before dumping but I would like to think thats thinking negative.

So do vets have the equipment to tattoo if anyone asked? this has been very informative for me Im not a breeder so I wouldn't have even thought of just having the tattoo .

There seems to be knowledge on this subject yet when looking it up I couldn't find the answers Thankyou so much :)

Im sure going to ask my vet next visit .

From all the answers here it seems more people are in favour of this being practised and as we now know not everyone chips anyway and as a matter of interest both my male and female are tattooed.

Im guessing there are a number of people like me who have wanted to know and now by this thread who ever reads this will know more than google :laugh:

When we had our puppy desexed a month ago, he had the tattoo done, and we were informed of it when we signed him in for the surgery. They told us it was compulsory for it to be done. (We're in Brisbane). His is a small circle with the line through it, its pretty tiny!

The last time I had a dog desexed - which was a while ago now!- I stated I didn't want the tatto so neither of mine had one.

My Dobe had her Dobe tattoo which was 3 letters and three numbers.

When I eventually get my bitch I have now desexed I will ask for no tattoo for her either. Whippets have very fine small rose ears and bright green ink in her ear would look awful and very visible.

When Buffy was desexed a few months ago, I wasn't aware they'd tattoo her ear, nor was I asked if I wanted it to be done. I only found out about it when I took her back to get the stitches out, and the vet pointed it out to me. I'm fine with it though.

She's a Samoyed, so got so much fluff around her ears. I was trying to have a look for the tattoo just then (after reading this thread), and it took me AGES to see it. It's black, and very small.

I guess in the unfortunate event she got lost, and we couldn't be contacted (unlikely since she's microchipped), at least they won't try to desex her again before rehoming.

Hi I have two dogs with ear tattoo's while googleing what it meant the best answers seemed to be on here some ears ago.

But I would like to know more. I thought these were x breeds they are under 3 months old yet all the info I could find were about greyhounds and german sheppards

could anyone give me any more info? its a circle with a line through it which I believe means they are de-sexed.

Is it old school to still be done ? or maybe just one vets common practise?

I mainly would like to know for my knowledge but also because it seems there isn't much info on the subject anywhere

The circle with a line through means desexed.

The "M" is microchipped.

Neither of these are compulsary in SA as far as I'm aware, you must tick the box on the vet forms if you want it.

The tattoos that you are refering to re Greyhounds and GSDs are usually 3 letters (to identify the breeders prefix) and 3 numbers (to identify the dog). These tattoos are used in other breeds too - my Ridgie has one :laugh: