Gazebo Ettiquette

Enigma01au

I have my first show coming up in January, and I have bought my Gazebo (and learnt how it put it up by myself :thumbsup: ), but now I'm wondering if there are rules about how/where to set up your Gazebo.

How do you know where you're allowed to set up if your first on ground?

Do you set up your Gazebo for night shows?

How close to others can you setup without annoying your neighbours?

I really don't want to cause trouble at my first show, and be known as "that inconsiderate person", just because I didn't understand the rules :D

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a general rule, I wont' set up closer than about 2m from a ring rope. If there's a second rope around the rings to keep an open corridor, I'll set up adjacent to it.

Don't set up on tarps or pegged out ropes - people have reserved these spaces. I'll set up right next to another gazebo but I will generally put a solid wall on that side if I do and I don't know the occupier.

I thought this post was going to be about gazebo squatting :thumbsup:

Other things not covered, I would only set it up for night shows if it was likely to rain, or if insects were a big problem (we have mesh sides for our gazebo).

Also, some grounds have rules about when you can set up - ie, not more than 24 hours before, not before midday the day before, not before the day itself at all. Phone the canine control and ask if it's at their grounds, if it's a country show the rules will probably be less strict.

You can set up pretty close as PF says, annoying your neighbours will be stuff like letting your dogs yap constantly or using a generator close to the tent or being drunk screaming with laughter at your own lame jokes etc etc.

If someone gets cranky just say "sorry, I'm new to all this" and move on. There are plenty of people who get cranky for pathetic reasons too :D

Edited to add that sometimes you'll also want to set a gazebo up at a night show with walls if it's windy.

Edited by SkySoaringMagpie

or being drunk screaming with laughter at your own lame jokes etc etc.

oops, :D

:thumbsup:

another tip, if you have any choice, avoid setting up next to the poo bins. You'll regret it!

Edited by Diva

As Showdog suggested contact DogsSA and ask them.

In WA we are not allowed to set up closer than 5 or 10 m from the ring (can't find exact rule). We are allowed to have a maximum of 4 cabanas set up without a walkway in between (2x2 square) and we have set times when we are allowed to set up.

In Qld I think we have to leave 3mtrs between gazebo and ring.

I like the sound of WA 5 mtrs would be great!!

2 mtrs I think is ridiculous! Now where near enough room. Even 3 mtrs is getting a bit squashy.

Are you in SA? As a visitor I was quite surprised and bemused to discover that by local tradition, certain patches of grass despite no signs nor visible boundaries are actually the property of someone and visitors are not welcome. Luckily we were advised of this before unpacking the gazebo and guided to some "freehold grass" up the back by some kindly locals - or I have the distinct feeling the posse would have been out at dawn for we interstate (and unknowing) " trespassers". :laugh:

It is possibly because the same groups are in the same rings every week at SACA and local showies have staked a claim on certain patches of ringside grass, but unfortunately that practice does not encourage or make welcome visitors and new exhibitors who may quite unknowingly and much to their regret, transgress the local "rules" :p

Does this occur anywhere else? We only saw in it Adelaide despite attending several shows in SA/ NSW/Qld during a recent road trip. In WA it is first-come first served but maybe that is because with each show the ring layout or group allocation is usually different so nobody has a "regular" spot.

i still set our gazebo up for night shows whether it is predicted rain or not as one of the males in our group can get a bit noisy of other males around. so with the gazebo set up and sides on he can not see out and doesn't make a ruccus

Are you in SA? As a visitor I was quite surprised and bemused to discover that by local tradition, certain patches of grass despite no signs nor visible boundaries are actually the property of someone and visitors are not welcome.

Does this occur anywhere else?

:laugh: Not in NSW/ACT and I haven't seen it at shows I've attended in Vic, NT and WA. Good grief.

Are you in SA? As a visitor I was quite surprised and bemused to discover that by local tradition, certain patches of grass despite no signs nor visible boundaries are actually the property of someone and visitors are not welcome. Luckily we were advised of this before unpacking the gazebo and guided to some "freehold grass" up the back by some kindly locals - or I have the distinct feeling the posse would have been out at dawn for we interstate (and unknowing) " trespassers". :laugh:

It is possibly because the same groups are in the same rings every week at SACA and local showies have staked a claim on certain patches of ringside grass, but unfortunately that practice does not encourage or make welcome visitors and new exhibitors who may quite unknowingly and much to their regret, transgress the local "rules" ;)

Does this occur anywhere else? We only saw in it Adelaide despite attending several shows in SA/ NSW/Qld during a recent road trip. In WA it is first-come first served but maybe that is because with each show the ring layout or group allocation is usually different so nobody has a "regular" spot.

Oh rubbish - there are no 'reserved' patches in SA - not around ring 5 anyway. If people told you there were, then they shouldn't have - How rude of them!! I set up around ring 5 every week - if you want ringside you have to get there early (or the day before). I did read in my recent journal, that they are considering raising funds by 'renting' ringside space to people each week which would then be reserved :p BUT this hasn't come into being yet... Personally, I'd like to see the rings at SACA rotated every year - why should the toy people get all the shade and get to be close to the facilities and group 5 get stuck with no shade and the longest walk from the facilities...

enigma - what are your first couple of shows? After this weekend, we don't actually have any all breeds shows at SACA for quite awhile - none in January or February - so you'd either be out at Karabeetha Reserve, (mostly enough room if we have rings on both ovals like we normally do at New Years Eve - was a bit squishy the other week when we had to be contained on the soccer pitch cos there was cricket still happening), or at Heathfield Oval - and I suspect that will be quite squishy, for parking at least - there isn't much up there...

Are you in SA? As a visitor I was quite surprised and bemused to discover that by local tradition, certain patches of grass despite no signs nor visible boundaries are actually the property of someone and visitors are not welcome.

Does this occur anywhere else?

:) Not in NSW/ACT and I haven't seen it at shows I've attended in Vic, NT and WA. Good grief.

Has even been known to get a bit violent because someone took "The Spot". At one large weekend event one person had to be taken to Hospital for stitches after they were struck in the leg by an umbrella stake. All because the other person thought they owned "the spot".

Personally I believe in first in first served. I dont give a rats backside if someone else has had the one spot for ten years every weekend. If I get there first its mine. Don't like it tough luck, build a bridge and get over it. Thats my thoughts anyway.

Are you in SA? As a visitor I was quite surprised and bemused to discover that by local tradition, certain patches of grass despite no signs nor visible boundaries are actually the property of someone and visitors are not welcome. Luckily we were advised of this before unpacking the gazebo and guided to some "freehold grass" up the back by some kindly locals - or I have the distinct feeling the posse would have been out at dawn for we interstate (and unknowing) " trespassers". :)

It is possibly because the same groups are in the same rings every week at SACA and local showies have staked a claim on certain patches of ringside grass, but unfortunately that practice does not encourage or make welcome visitors and new exhibitors who may quite unknowingly and much to their regret, transgress the local "rules" :o

Oh rubbish - there are no 'reserved' patches in SA - not around ring 5 anyway. If people told you there were, then they shouldn't have - How rude of them!! I set up around ring 5 every week - if you want ringside you have to get there early (or the day before). I did read in my recent journal, that they are considering raising funds by 'renting' ringside space to people each week which would then be reserved :) BUT this hasn't come into being yet... Personally, I'd like to see the rings at SACA rotated every year - why should the toy people get all the shade and get to be close to the facilities and group 5 get stuck with no shade and the longest walk from the facilities...

enigma - what are your first couple of shows? After this weekend, we don't actually have any all breeds shows at SACA for quite awhile - none in January or February - so you'd either be out at Karabeetha Reserve, (mostly enough room if we have rings on both ovals like we normally do at New Years Eve - was a bit squishy the other week when we had to be contained on the soccer pitch cos there was cricket still happening), or at Heathfield Oval - and I suspect that will be quite squishy, for parking at least - there isn't much up there...

This isnt rubbish!! I got told something very similar by a friend that was doing some travelling and doing shows along the way! She was actually warned to move because the person who's spot it was got rather nasty if her spot was taken. So friend move, she said 30 mins before the show started this other person waltzed in and claimed her spot. The woman then had ago at my friend for setting up in her spot! This is after my friend had moved elsewhere. Friend came away with a very dim view of SA showies.

Are you in SA? As a visitor I was quite surprised and bemused to discover that by local tradition, certain patches of grass despite no signs nor visible boundaries are actually the property of someone and visitors are not welcome. Luckily we were advised of this before unpacking the gazebo and guided to some "freehold grass" up the back by some kindly locals - or I have the distinct feeling the posse would have been out at dawn for we interstate (and unknowing) " trespassers". :)

It is possibly because the same groups are in the same rings every week at SACA and local showies have staked a claim on certain patches of ringside grass, but unfortunately that practice does not encourage or make welcome visitors and new exhibitors who may quite unknowingly and much to their regret, transgress the local "rules" :o

Oh rubbish - there are no 'reserved' patches in SA - not around ring 5 anyway. If people told you there were, then they shouldn't have - How rude of them!! I set up around ring 5 every week - if you want ringside you have to get there early (or the day before). I did read in my recent journal, that they are considering raising funds by 'renting' ringside space to people each week which would then be reserved :) BUT this hasn't come into being yet... Personally, I'd like to see the rings at SACA rotated every year - why should the toy people get all the shade and get to be close to the facilities and group 5 get stuck with no shade and the longest walk from the facilities...

This isnt rubbish!! I got told something very similar by a friend that was doing some travelling and doing shows along the way! She was actually warned to move because the person who's spot it was got rather nasty if her spot was taken. So friend move, she said 30 mins before the show started this other person waltzed in and claimed her spot. The woman then had ago at my friend for setting up in her spot! This is after my friend had moved elsewhere. Friend came away with a very dim view of SA showies.

I didn't mean that your experience was rubbish - I meant how rude and absolutely out of line the show person was for telling you the spot was reserved! (when it clearly wasn't). Wouldn't have happened around the group 5 ring - there it is strictly first come first served. Which is why a few of the die hards come and set up at 6am the day before. I don't bother - I arrive on the day of the show and set up where I can, never far from the ring. It's a pity your friend didn't stand her ground. What was the woman going to do? Make a report? How childish of her! I am sorry you guys had such a bad experience in SA - it is pretty friendly around our ring each week.