Gazebo Ettiquette

Enigma01au

Our grp has a simple rule if you wish to share regularly you must either help set up or pack up.

We all learnt very quickly about the borrowers who had it easy & turned up late & left early.

Some will say you will set up anyway but if people do share just keep in mind the effort those people went to

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must say I have walked a big dog past group 1 once and some old biatch had a go at me and said 'get that big dog away from here, dont walk them past group 1' :rolleyes: keeping in mind her dogs were going spastic at my dog who was walking in a straight line doing nothing.

SOme people are just idiots,

I once was walking a friends Wolfie around as she was a tiny bit timid and she was walking around fine, and we walked past the toy group, it was funny watching the old biddies ripping there little fluffies off the ground by there leads because this big scary dog who would hurt a fly was walking past. Yep some people are idiots!!

A group 1 story for you.

I was walking my 5.5yr old Great Dane near Group 1, I just walked into the square of gazebos set up around the ring, when a Griffon leapt off the top of a 4 birth trolley to try and bite my Great Dane on the back of his hocks!!

Then the nasty lady started to abuse me because my dog tried to bite her dog and that big dogs should not be near Group 1.

In the mean time she and others are trying to get her dog to come back to her. I abused her right back, whilst my dog just stood there going WTF.

I must say I have walked a big dog past group 1 once and some old biatch had a go at me and said 'get that big dog away from here, dont walk them past group 1' :( keeping in mind her dogs were going spastic at my dog who was walking in a straight line doing nothing.

I once was walking a friends Wolfie around as she was a tiny bit timid and she was walking around fine, and we walked past the toy group, it was funny watching the old biddies ripping there little fluffies off the ground by there leads because this big scary dog who would hurt a fly was walking past. Yep some people are idiots!!

Hey!!! There are two ways of looking at this. First of all - little dogs are big dogs in little bodies and they are like to have their say. This can be quite disruptive as once one starts they all get involved. Secondly - why shouldn't the "little fluffies" be collected off the ground? Better to be sure than sorry. Did your Wolfie have a sign around it's neck saying it wouldn't hurt a fly? Did you consider that if the fluffies got loose, they could have run at your dog and little fluffies are not flies.

My experience is an Irish Setter attacking my Yorkie as we were walking past Group 3. And the Irish broke it's lead. Luckily my dog jumped up into my arms.

Yes !!!! Some people are idiots and they are all over the showgrounds at every group. And there are plenty of old biddies at every ringside

Bottom line is that no matter where we are walking our dogs at the show, all care should be taken by everyone to ensure their dogs are under effective control, just like the old biddies ripping their fluffies off the ground.

I must say I have walked a big dog past group 1 once and some old biatch had a go at me and said 'get that big dog away from here, dont walk them past group 1' :laugh: keeping in mind her dogs were going spastic at my dog who was walking in a straight line doing nothing.

In their defence, I often pick my fluffie up when bigguns are around just because she can be intimidated by them, not because I think they would be nasty... but their size alone can be scary and if you want a bright, happy, chirpy dog in and around the ring you try to minimise chances for them to become frightened.

Our grp has a simple rule if you wish to share regularly you must either help set up or pack up.

We all learnt very quickly about the borrowers who had it easy & turned up late & left early.

Some will say you will set up anyway but if people do share just keep in mind the effort those people went to

We have the same deal between us we have 4 or 5 gazebos we help each other set up and pack up.

Speaking of big dogs and little dogs, at a show I was at recently there were two people who had dogs offlead around the hound ring. One had two cavaliers, the other some baby puppy springers. All the sighthound people were responsible, but it bothered me a lot that these dogs weren't in crates and were being allowed to run about offlead. It's disruptive and if I owned a small neotenous dog with ears like a rabbit, I'd not be letting it run about loose around a hound ring.

The other loose dog that weekend was an Akita. :laugh:

Speaking of big dogs and little dogs, at a show I was at recently there were two people who had dogs offlead around the hound ring. One had two cavaliers, the other some baby puppy springers. All the sighthound people were responsible, but it bothered me a lot that these dogs weren't in crates and were being allowed to run about offlead. It's disruptive and if I owned a small neotenous dog with ears like a rabbit, I'd not be letting it run about loose around a hound ring.

Yes that was a bit weird, a couple of the cavs were all over one of mine on the way back to my gazebo. All very friendly but not what you expect really walking a large sighthound ringside.

I guess I'll learn to expect anything at a show.

Edited by Diva

Are you in SA? As a visitor I was quite surprised and bemused to discover that by local tradition, certain patches of grass despite no signs nor visible boundaries are actually the property of someone and visitors are not welcome. Luckily we were advised of this before unpacking the gazebo and guided to some "freehold grass" up the back by some kindly locals - or I have the distinct feeling the posse would have been out at dawn for we interstate (and unknowing) " trespassers". :D

It is possibly because the same groups are in the same rings every week at SACA and local showies have staked a claim on certain patches of ringside grass, but unfortunately that practice does not encourage or make welcome visitors and new exhibitors who may quite unknowingly and much to their regret, transgress the local "rules" :D

Does this occur anywhere else? We only saw in it Adelaide despite attending several shows in SA/ NSW/Qld during a recent road trip. In WA it is first-come first served but maybe that is because with each show the ring layout or group allocation is usually different so nobody has a "regular" spot.

Occasionally this happens in Tassie and it discourages newbies and causes disgruntlement with oldies. I know of one club that does not allow the staking of claims overnight. :laugh:

One show i turned up to find my stuff had been taken out of my set up & new residents had moved in. :D Lets just say it was a very "Not happy Jan moment especially when they had trouble finding my gear

That happened to us in SA last year, We set up our gazebo, morning show we showed the dogs and then i took the trolley with dogs back to our caravan for lunch and was going to bring them back to the gazebo for the afternoon show. When i got back to the gazebo, we had squatters, not one lot but two! One guy with an irish setter pup in a crate and another lot who was our opposition! I rolled the trolley under the gazebo, i looked at them they looked at me and then they moved.....to the entrance of the ring LOL where for the rest of the day everyone entering and leaving the ring had to go around them.

Only in SA :laugh:

I have been guilty of putting my gazebo up in a "reserved" position at SACA, dutifully I took it down and went to the second row behind some lovely Wolfhound people. to be honest as a newcomer to shows gazebo placement is frought with terror and unknown pitfalls.

So it's the hound ring where this self-important carrying on is happening? Great, nice work on welcoming the newbies folks. :laugh:

Note to self - give SA shows a BIG miss.

PF will let you know how many toes BBJ and I stand on at News Year Eve.

Ditto to what rottshowgirl says! Im in group 6 and we are lovely :thumbsup:

I must say I have walked a big dog past group 1 once and some old biatch had a go at me and said 'get that big dog away from here, dont walk them past group 1' :laugh: keeping in mind her dogs were going spastic at my dog who was walking in a straight line doing nothing.

You will be fine esp at Gawler as there is no way anyone can say its their spor if youre there first since theyhave 2 shows there a year :rofl:

Have fun at your first show!!!!

;) :happydance: :happydance: :happydance::smurfanim: :smurfanim: :smurfanim: When we first starting Zarah to shows we got the same reaction from Group 1 inhabitants stating big dogs and little dogs do not mix. Try LITTLE and dogs and big dogs do not mix especially chi's :laugh: They are now over it and and enjoy seeing Zarah and have actually asked where she is when we do not have her.

I have been guilty of putting my gazebo up in a "reserved" position at SACA, dutifully I took it down and went to the second row behind some lovely Wolfhound people. to be honest as a newcomer to shows gazebo placement is frought with terror and unknown pitfalls.

So it's the hound ring where this self-important carrying on is happening? Great, nice work on welcoming the newbies folks. :laugh:

Note to self - give SA shows a BIG miss.

PF will let you know how many toes BBJ and I stand on at News Year Eve.

Hopefully folk will be reasonable. Good luck! :laugh:

I am a serial gazebo borrower... i am always in other people's gazebos but I always bring food :laugh: If I am the only one showing, or there is plenty of room, I tend to sit in the shade because WA has so many trees. I don't have any issues with not seeing the ring, since i spend most of my time talking anyway :laugh:

I'm hoping to buy a gazebo next year, even though I'll have less dogs to show!! time to repay back all those years of shade borrowing!

I am a serial gazebo borrower... i am always in other people's gazebos but I always bring food :happydance: If I am the only one showing, or there is plenty of room, I tend to sit in the shade because WA has so many trees. I don't have any issues with not seeing the ring, since i spend most of my time talking anyway :laugh:

I'm hoping to buy a gazebo next year, even though I'll have less dogs to show!! time to repay back all those years of shade borrowing!

I have no dogs to show, only handling so you can always borrow mine :laugh::rofl:

The show oval in WA has lots of space and lots of natural shade. The big issue for me is the dog sports oval which only has parking on one side and gets very cramped. ;)

Hey!!! There are two ways of looking at this. First of all - little dogs are big dogs in little bodies and they are like to have their say. This can be quite disruptive as once one starts they all get involved. Secondly - why shouldn't the "little fluffies" be collected off the ground? Better to be sure than sorry. Did your Wolfie have a sign around it's neck saying it wouldn't hurt a fly? Did you consider that if the fluffies got loose, they could have run at your dog and little fluffies are not flies.

My experience is an Irish Setter attacking my Yorkie as we were walking past Group 3. And the Irish broke it's lead. Luckily my dog jumped up into my arms.

Yes !!!! Some people are idiots and they are all over the showgrounds at every group. And there are plenty of old biddies at every ringside

Bottom line is that no matter where we are walking our dogs at the show, all care should be taken by everyone to ensure their dogs are under effective control, just like the old biddies ripping their fluffies off the ground.

For one the dog was under effective control and wouldnt hurt a fly infact she was almost half asleep, and the old biddies didnt need to be ripping there dogs off the ground by there leads, bend down and pick them up. And it was only the older people that were ripping there dogs of the ground, no one else bothered.

In their defence, I often pick my fluffie up when bigguns are around just because she can be intimidated by them, not because I think they would be nasty... but their size alone can be scary and if you want a bright, happy, chirpy dog in and around the ring you try to minimise chances for them to become frightened.

Pick your fluffy up by all means, but do just that PICK it up! I thought it was ridiculous how they were ripping there dogs off the ground by there leads, basically by there necks.

I think for newbies, either set up with an exhibitor you already know, or perhaps don't set up in the front row at first.

fifi

Nah, waltz in early and take the best spot! Why should bullies be able to intimidate people this way? It is a dog show after all, not prime tickets to a mars landing.

At the recent Cup Day show we went and marked out a space and put our gazebo up in the lower position

Anyway the next morning we turn up and park our trolley about to put the roof on only to be told we cant set up there its saved :laugh:

Uh yes i know we saved a spot....no such n such saved it its her gazebo and green rope

NO its my gazebo and rope my name is on the gazebo

Needless to say i got my spot and had a good laugh at the ladys embarasment so I too am familiar with the spot police :laugh:

For one the dog was under effective control and wouldnt hurt a fly infact she was almost half asleep, and the old biddies didnt need to be ripping there dogs off the ground by there leads, bend down and pick them up. And it was only the older people that were ripping there dogs of the ground, no one else bothered.

Pick your fluffy up by all means, but do just that PICK it up! I thought it was ridiculous how they were ripping there dogs off the ground by there leads, basically by there necks.

There are plenty of old people in who can't bend down. Take a longer look next time, there are plenty that teach dogs to jump up. I'm not condoning lifting dogs by leads but if it needed to be done quickly and you are all stiff and slow, it's better than having a dog fight.

Your assumption is that the owners were scared of the Wolfie, perhaps you could consider the fact the owners were scared of how their dog would react to the Wolfie and pick a fight they could not finish. I have both big and little dogs, and still I have a little spitfire who puts on a show before asking questions. For the benefit of others, I remove my dog from the situation so as not to effect the other dogs. The littlie runs with big dogs regularly, but you will find me picking her up when a strange big dog approaches, not because I'm scared that the big dog will attack the little one rather to prevent any sort of incident. It's a management thing.

I show in the toy ring and will have my big breeds in the area. I walk behind the gazebos and expect their to be a tonne of noise. The big dogs learn to ignore it. I don't however expect to be able to hangout in the assembly area with a big dog or to walk right up to trolleys.

My dogs were normally quiet in their trolleys until another exhibitor let their dogs go up to my trolley aggressively (in body language plus growling!) everytime they walked past (which was repeatedly in a short span). I had a hard time stopping them from reacting after that. So now I have trolley reactive toy dogs.

I happened to witness someone geeing up their big dog and letting it dance about right at the ring entrance of the toy ring. The bloody dog (and owner) stirred up the dogs lined up to go in, and the owner let it go right up to crates with dogs in them (of all sizes). If the toy people hadn't been on the ball there would have been an incident. The dancing dog was not aggressive but was certainly not under control.