Older Dog Now Worried About Storms

Henrietta

Hello,

My parents have a 9 year old dog who has never been scared of storms up until the last couple of storms. She is quite distressed, panting and sooking and trying to be close to her people.

My own little dog isn't crash hot in storms, but she has improved so much over the last couple of years. Storms do not bother her anywhere near as much as they used to and my parents' dog is now the one showing the most distress.

Has anyone had this happened to their dogs? I am thinking vet check for her hearing (for increased hearing, not impairment.) It's the only thing I can possibly think of off the top of my head. Unless my Abby has 'taught' Gracie to fear storms? But the timing seems odd. Abby has been getting so much better. Edit - Perhaps this has been growing for quite some time and we missed the 'beginning' of it? :) We have not treated her differently, in fact, I have been really conscious of not coddling either of them, as I was trying to get the little one feeling better about storms.

Thanks. :)

Edit - stray apostrophe

Edited by Henrietta

I have one that is not good with storms.

I try to keep her away from the others during storms as I do think it is possible for one dog to teach a behaviour to another dog.

Sometimes distraction works very well ie. playing with the favourite toy during the storm, even if it is just for a little while. Or distraction by getting the dog to do a good behaviour like a trick for a reward - anything to get their mind off what they are scared of.

If all else fails the vet can sometimes help with meds.

One of my dogs has become worse with storms - today he tried to get thru the fence via the hand hole and then started to chew at the metal- I locked him up in his night pen for his own safety. Seems the storms should be over for now so will let him out soon.

Thunderstorm phobia tends to surface in mid to old age in dogs and it's because of brain ageing.

There are some things to try, they can include bach flower essences for dogs specially made up for phobias, DAP or dog appeasing pheromone, and medications from your Vet. They can give valium to use in single doses before a storm when you know one will happen that day and you are home in the 2 hrs prior to the storm arriving. In areas where storms happen everyday and dogs are suffering they may need a constant anti-anxiety medication.

Valium helps them feel cruisy and if given at the right time they won't have much memory of the storm even if they are a bit frightened.

We used to use ACE or Acepromazine/Acetylpromazine which comes in tablets, but it is not recommended anymore due to the fact that we know dogs are tranquilised but it does nothing for their anxiety- so they still feel the terror but they can't act it out.

Great, thanks for the responses. :thumbsup: I have heaps of ideas with how to go about dealing with this. Much of this I have done with the little mite - Bach flower essences, playing when a storm is around etc. I will look into Valium if she does continue to be distressed despite measures to try and get her calm and happy. I was reading the thread about 'Thundershirts' and body wraps with interest as well.

Thankfully, storms are not really common in my area.

I did not realise that storm phobia sometimes present itself for the first time in middle age/older dogs.

Just so you know...my boy today was dosed with a calming aid this morning - didn't appear to help much with the storm this arvo, not unless his reaction would have been way way worse instead of just the worst i've seen him react.

Also unfortunately this time of the year in Brisbane the dog would need to be dosed daily or be wearing the jacket/etc on a daily basis..

I wouldn't say Bindi was frightened of storms, but she does run around the house like a loonatick with a balll in her mouth challenging every bit of thunder to "come & get me". I find if I put her in her crate & where she can see us, then she settles down.

I have an elderly dog that developed storm phobia in his teens :laugh:

There was no sign of it at all in his younger years, and it is very distressing. I have a couple of elderly clients dogs that are the same way, so it does not seem uncommon. Add it to the list of things that age does to some of them, it is hard watch your old friend go from a super confident young dog to a dribbling mess.

Hamlet is now 7, and up until this year was fine with thunder . Now he is quite anxious. etc.. I just let him go to his bed in my room ..and let him out when it's over .He just curls up & waits.....Don't know what he does when I'm not here..probably just sits at the back door ... on the blanket.

My old girl has been super confident not scared of anything not even fireworks actually everyone was scared of her she is aging she is scared of thunder and loud noises, but she spends 23 hours of a day inside on her bed .