Illegal For Dogs To Wee On Nature Strip Now?

ChocoLabs Dad

eta mine was full of weeds and i called the council because I wanted to kill the weeds and plant grass.

they sent out the guys and they sprayed the weeds and gave me a big bag of lawn seed....thats how i came to be chatting about it.

Yeah, and I know that when I wanted to plant mine out with trees, I had to make sure that I only planted trees that were on the Council's "acceptable" list, and there were restrictions on where I could plant (eg distance from one to another). But they would have supplied the trees if I was happy enough for them to choose what tree and their choice depended upon which trees they had in stock at the time.

yep that's what they told me, can only plant what they say and can't cut down any tree on the nature strip

Edited by Jaxx'sBuddy

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not illegal as far as I'm aware but a bit of consideration is needed

I don't let my Flash (he is the only one who lifts his leg) pee on anything he likes, no trees except for the fully grown ones at the vacant block of land and no cars except for the Telstra truck, I always let him pee on that :laugh:

not as funny as it sounds.

My neighbour put up a fence, on the north side of the property, 30 metres inside the boundary and then aggressively and violently attempted to take possession of it.

I'd just tell your neighbour that you own the land in front of your house, from your front fence to as far as the distant horizon, and that he has to go around it and not walk across it unless he specifically asks for permission in person, each time he needs egress and you provide him with written permission in triplicate. :laugh:

the nature strip is council property, that's why they mow it (if you are lucky) and water the tree on it (if you are doubly lucky)

I have never seen the council mow a naturestrip outside a home. There was a guy in the street next to me, years ago, who kept his home and yard immaculate (sp?) but because of an arguement with the council, he never touched the nature strip. He got warning notices etc to clean it up. I'm not sure who gave in, in the end, but eventually the nature strip was mowed. It went on for months and months. :thumbsup:

I'd be interested in hearing your method for this.

Maybe you could start another thread just for it.

as any dog owner knows, you can't MAKE a dog go to the toilet anywhere.

actually you can ;)

It's just a matter of training them to go ON COMMAND .. and then,when walking, there is no peeing or pooing except where YOU want them to go .

I trained many many dogs to do this, when doing Guide dog training ...as a lot of guide dogs go to work ..and at pee breaks , there is often only a small area in which toileting is possible/permitted.

Must admit- seeing dogs peeing everywhere when walking is a pet hate of mine :thumbsup:

I would be interested in this also.

I'd be interested in hearing your method for this.

Maybe you could start another thread just for it.

actually you can :(

It's just a matter of training them to go ON COMMAND .. and then,when walking, there is no peeing or pooing except where YOU want them to go .

I trained many many dogs to do this, when doing Guide dog training ...as a lot of guide dogs go to work ..and at pee breaks , there is often only a small area in which toileting is possible/permitted.

Must admit- seeing dogs peeing everywhere when walking is a pet hate of mine ;)

I would be interested in this also.

very, very easy to teach.

When they are toileting, simply say the magic word :thumbsup: I use "quick, quick" as all guide dogs use this command.

Reward when they have finished. Most dogs will quickly learn this association. You can then start saying the word just before they toilet ie when they are sniffing around. Sometimes that act of relieving itself will be enough of a reward.

Many horse trainers use a whistling noise as a cue for the horse to pee, as they often have to do drug testing after a comp or race.

If my girl needs a pee when we're out walking, I try to direct her to the nature strip on purpose. I mean, what are the other options? Letting her go on the actual footpath is gross in case someone steps in it, letting her go on someone's front lawns is very rude, and letting her go in the gutter is apparently bad for the fishies. :thumbsup:

ETA - she does pee on command, and I usually ask her to pee before we go, but she often still needs another go while we're out. I think the exercise loosens things up, so to speak.

Edited by Staranais

the nature strip is council property, that's why they mow it (if you are lucky) and water the tree on it (if you are doubly lucky)

I have never seen the council mow a naturestrip outside a home. There was a guy in the street next to me, years ago, who kept his home and yard immaculate (sp?) but because of an arguement with the council, he never touched the nature strip. He got warning notices etc to clean it up. I'm not sure who gave in, in the end, but eventually the nature strip was mowed. It went on for months and months. :thumbsup:

hmmm....maybe it was an accidental mow i saw...it was the only time i saw it..;)

Edited by Jaxx'sBuddy

I have never seen the council mow a naturestrip outside a home. There was a guy in the street next to me, years ago, who kept his home and yard immaculate (sp?) but because of an arguement with the council, he never touched the nature strip. He got warning notices etc to clean it up. I'm not sure who gave in, in the end, but eventually the nature strip was mowed. It went on for months and months. :D

hmmm....maybe it was an accidental mow i saw...it was the only time i saw it..:(

Council mow ours and water the tree but only sometimes! Therefore, we mow it in between.

I have never seen the council mow a naturestrip outside a home. There was a guy in the street next to me, years ago, who kept his home and yard immaculate (sp?) but because of an arguement with the council, he never touched the nature strip. He got warning notices etc to clean it up. I'm not sure who gave in, in the end, but eventually the nature strip was mowed. It went on for months and months. :grimace:

hmmm....maybe it was an accidental mow i saw...it was the only time i saw it..:love:

Council mow ours and water the tree but only sometimes! Therefore, we mow it in between.

maybe it's just a SA thing :cry:

No such rule in Qld. Neighbour is probably a lawn junkie and just hoping you'd be fooled.

actually you can :love:

Must admit- seeing dogs peeing everywhere when walking is a pet hate of mine :grimace:

I have trained my dogs to pee on command but I still say you can't MAKE them pee. If they have just pee'd and I say the command again, I get nothing. I think even if I poked them in the bladder, I'd still get nothing. :cry:

And if you've trained your dogs to not pee on concrete (or to always pee on grass) then giving a command to pee while on concrete is unlikely to get you a result (and probably confuse the heck out of the poor dog).

"Peeing everywhere" - where do you think dogs should pee in public?

I'd be really careful picking a fight with a neighbour about something like this, whether he's wrong or not. Just say 'yeah, fine, whatever, sorry' and try and avoid it happening in future.

Best case he could start making problems with barking complaints etc - worse case he could do something to your dog while your not at home :grimace:

It sucks, but it definitely happens (especially when the neighbour can be identified as 'quirky')

where do you think dogs should pee in public?

In a dog park or similar area?

I lived in the city- used to walk my dog twice a day .. and during leash walking, he was not allowed to pee. He had a toilet opportunity before we left ...

When we free ran in large parks ..then he could pee on trees, but not all around suburbia. :grimace: