Keeping Water Dishes Clean

kja

I have one of those water dishes that is hooked up to our reticulation. The animals drink so much and our retic doesn't come on every day so I also fill it up with a jug of water now and again as needed.

But it's started to seriously grow the greenies on the bottom. It's a pain in the butt to clean out all the time and it happens so fast!

Is there any way to stop/inhibit this growth safely? Or is it just one of those things?

The water in their in house bucket doesn't get this growth, only the one outside.

When I worked at kennels, we used to rinse a disinfectant through the bowl, then rinse with water, then refill. They never went green.

Other bowls that were not rinsed with dinsinfectant went green.

Here, I just scrub lightly with my fingers when I refill the bowl. I also allow my bowls to go empty before refilling (there are numerous bowls). I think this kills the algae a bit.

Edit: I also use tap water, though, so the chlorine etc in it may be preventing growth?

Edited by Leema

Interesting...I have a big birdbath in the full sun which the dogs just loved to drink from. It was always going green with this horrible slimey stuff in it & I was forever cleaning it out & refilling it. I decided that I no longer wanted the dogs to drink from it as it looked so unhealthy, so I put a piece of wire over the top to stop them. For months now the water has stayed clear, which makes me think it was the saliva from the dogs which was turning the water green & slimy. Their other water bowls I just keep cleaning them out & refilling every couple of days. I have noticed in the garden too, it's the birdbaths which are under trees & getting bird poo in them that are always green. The ones out in the open with no poo remain clear.

Interesting...I have a big birdbath in the full sun which the dogs just loved to drink from. It was always going green with this horrible slimey stuff in it & I was forever cleaning it out & refilling it. I decided that I no longer wanted the dogs to drink from it as it looked so unhealthy, so I put a piece of wire over the top to stop them. For months now the water has stayed clear, which makes me think it was the saliva from the dogs which was turning the water green & slimy. Their other water bowls I just keep cleaning them out & refilling every couple of days. I have noticed in the garden too, it's the birdbaths which are under trees & getting bird poo in them that are always green. The ones out in the open with no poo remain clear.

I have a large ceramic water bowl outside (in full shade) and it gets green too - I think it's the dogs saliva as well! It sits under a tap, so I just turn the tap on when the water gets a bit low, and it doesn't get a clean out as often as the water bowl inside (which doesn't go green).

My cats also use the outside water bowl but not so much the inside one, so maybe it's them too, who knows? :thumbsup:

I read somewhere that adding a little Apple Cider Vinegar to the water helps stop the growth of algae. Haven't tried it myself though...

I tried that, the tiniest amount was enough to put them all off the water :laugh:

Colloidal Silver might be a better option actually as that kills bugs and can be a good immune booster! :thumbsup:

In the small animal/bird section of your local pet supply store you should be able to get a product that keeps algae from growing in bowls. The brand I use is Water Guard by Aristopet.

Does the job!