Does Your Oh Have His/her Own Dog?

Bubitty

Bitty is very much OH's dog. She belongs to him on paper and is one of the great loves in his life I think. There is no one like him in her eyes and he adores his Bitty. Often Bubby will be accompanying me and Bitty will be off with OH somewhere if we are doing chores in separate parts of the house.

Every night during cuddle time, OH will yell "All dogs to their requisite humans please" and Bitty will run into his arms, Bubby into mine.

I just love that he adores the dogs. I feel firmly that they aren't just *my* dogs. They are very much his darlings as well. He does half their walks, feeds them, helps me pack their bones/dinners and keeps an eye on their general well being. He has strong views about their upbringing and our raising of them is very much a team effort.

Just wondering whether your partners are dog lovers as well or do they just co-exist with the dogs?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. Bundy is 'my' dog, but Diesel is 'his'. OH will rumble with the dogs ever afternoon when he gets home, and will happily smooch them on the couch. He used to dislike Bundy quite a lot, as he was a very unpleasant little rebel for a while. The first time he gave Bundy a cuddle and said "I love you, you're not actually that bad" then kissed him made me cry!! He always tells the dogs he loves them, and cuddles them goodbye before he leaves for work. On the whole they come to me more, and I can't do ANYTHING without them both following.. but OH can, but they still adore him... I'm just a bit more of a soft touch :rofl:

We have differing opinions on discipline, but that's about it. We've come to a happy medium that works for both of us. If we are going away, we take the dogs with us. We aren't a 'family' without the 'boys' along, they should be a part of it too as much as possible, within reason. OH assures me they are 'just dogs' and we can 'always get another one' but he was near tears over the fact our black boy has a lump on his leg that hasn't gone down with treatment and he now has to have surgery tomorrow... he's very upset that it might be cancer (but vet thinks malignant tumour).

Edited by Bundy's Mum

Akira is both of our dog, we bought her as a couple. However she is very much my OH's - she loves him soooooo much and he adores her. She's currently sitting with me only because he's not home. He tends to be the "good cop" whereas I'm the "bad cop" - he'll encourage Akira to do things (like jump on him while he's on the couch) and then call out "Cate, Puppy's on the couch!" because he knows she's not meant to be there but he encouraged it. Normally he gets told off rather than Akira. :rofl: I do all of Akira's training, but he can easily get her to do things I can't, such as she heels much better for him than she does for me. I wish he'd take a little more interest in her training at times because she works her butt off for him in a way that she won't for me.

I'm really hoping that Halo is happy to be my dog. :cry:

My OH had never had much to do with dogs prior to meeting up with me (he had owned cats for years). For the first few years together we had cats as we were in rentals and cats were easier. When we bought our own place I got my first dog (since leaving home and the family dogs). Now we have 4 dogs, and while I am the one responsible for deciding on food, vet stuff etc (because I know more about it), Cleo has decided she is very much a daddy's girl. Cleo hasn't been well lately due to an accident and she has stitches, so has been being spoiled a bit lately. The other night, I caught OH on the floor cuddling up with Cleo and whispering in her ear! Not bad for a former "non dog" person! Priceless! :rofl:

Edited by New Age Outlaw

As much as our boy is both of ours he belongs to my OH at heart. Whilst he is more likely to listen to what I say (and hide from me when he's done something naughty) he is my OH's. At times I've almost got upset because when we got him he was meant to be 'my' dog but as long as he stills chooses to come to me at least 2 times out of ten for the occasional cuddle I'm happy.

Hopefully our next one will be my special girl and not the OHs as well lol :rofl:

Aww that's so cute Bub!

Charlie is Mama's Boy. Emmy is Daddy Girl. But, I think he loves Charlie that little bit more. Charlie is his first dog ever, but he loves that Emmy is always following him and "helping" him do things. Charlie will cuddle with him if I'm not there, but as soon as I walk into the room, Charlie will leave him to be with me.

Dogs is a very new thing to him (and his family). But, he is very hands on and very involved with the dogs. Only thing he doesn't do with them is training and giving them a bath. But, he does do the grooming on Charlie (which means.. shaving the fur on his legs, chest and butt). I like that he doesn't have interest in dog training and just enjoy them for them. Now, that he knows how important it is for dogs to have rules inside the house, he has learned to respect them, and make sure the dogs are kept in line.

He talks to them, cuddles them, plays with them and, unfortunately, sings to them. When Charlie was sick, he was never embrassed to push Charlie around in his stroller when we go for our walks and will always make that extra effort to make sure that Charlie and Emmy are happy and safe.

Edited by CW EW

We agree completely on discipline but oh is more of a fuss pot than me when it comes to health. He is very paranoid about them and is a bit trigger happy with taking them to the vets etc.

Funny story I must share. OH came home one day, I was in the kitchen cooking with Bitty. First thing he said was "my gorgeous girl I owe you a cuddle don't I?"

I was so please and made a move to get my cuddle only to find him on the floor kissing Bitty and telling her she was his pretty girl etc. I was so embarrassed I went back to cooking!

OH and I both grew up on farms with working dogs. After we were married I got my 2 border collie girls. Maddie to do sports with and KC who is my heart dog. They have always been pretty much my dogs, although he is fond of them. I feed them, train them and walk them. He plays with them! Then we got puppy Gael (another BC) a year ago and they just love each other, it is really sweet. He has his own nickname for her and they are very soppy, she sleeps on him when they are watching TV etc. Unlike the other two she is a very very cuddly and tactile dog and when she sees him she goes into a play bow and does a whoo-whoo little howl noise that only he gets. He is BANNED from coming to shows. The one Rally obedience he did come to (this is a dog who works beautifully) she spent the whole time gawking around my legs trying to keep him in sight, I gave up and left the ring and she wiggled up to him.

We agree completely on discipline but oh is more of a fuss pot than me when it comes to health. He is very paranoid about them and is a bit trigger happy with taking them to the vets etc.

Funny story I must share. OH came home one day, I was in the kitchen cooking with Bitty. First thing he said was "my gorgeous girl I owe you a cuddle don't I?"

I was so please and made a move to get my cuddle only to find him on the floor kissing Bitty and telling her she was his pretty girl etc. I was so embarrassed I went back to cooking!

Mine does that too! I indignantly told him the other day that the dogs get more hugs and kisses than me... He still doesn't agree, even though I keep tally :rofl:

Both of the dogs we have at the moment are our dogs.. one of the dogs we have is the dog that I grew up with but my partner loves her so much and she loves him so much that it's impossible not to include him in her ownership! She spends way more time with him these days than me anyway, she just loves to go down to the shed and sit with him while he works away! The second dog we have is one we bought together.. so he's definitely 'ours' by default :rofl:. I couldn't be with anyone who wasn't a dog person! How horrible lol

Mine just co-exists with the dogs :thumbsup: He knows they are my hobby and has no problem with me having them, but he has no interest in them though I can trust him to follow instructions on their care if I am away (feeding etc). He will not walk one. Diesel would like to be his dog though.

My OH loves our dogs. Does everything with them, cuddles, plays, feeds, walks, I get the fun jobs like training, grooming and bathing but if I really need him too he will do that as well.

I would say Alchemy is the closest we have to his dog but a lot of the time she will leave him for me.

He was over the moon when we decided to get him is very own Bullmastiff puppy to show. He had the name picked out and even what he would be wearing in the ring :thumbsup:

I lived at home with my parents until about six months ago (late bloomer here!), so have always had dogs around, whereas my OH hasn't had a dog since he was a teenager and he has been DYING for one because he really loves them. We bought a house together with a yard and we finally found ourselves able to get a dog a few months ago.

There was pretty much an implicit agreement that it was going to be his dog because 1) It was going to be a beagle. He loves, loves, loves beagles while I have an affinity for big doggies. 2) Because he wanted a beagle pup, it wasn't going to be a rescue dog, and I really want a rescue dog. 3) He's been waiting for a dog for so long.

Needless to say, we brought little Pudding home, and she developed an immediate affection for me over him! I felt so bad! In those first few days I was very cuddly, sooky, getting down on the floor with her and all that, so I think that's what did it. She was also raised by women (and had seven sisters), so maybe that made a difference. It's getting better with time, but I maintain that as long as I have to pick up her poos off the back lawn she bloody well should love me more! :thumbsup:

When I first met OH his dad was telling me stuff about him and he told me that he had a staffy X and that was an instant in with me as I had 3 staffy X's at the time.

So OH had his own dog when he came to me, but he loves my Stimpy and my Froggy is growing on him, I sometimes catch him outside having little cuddles with her which never use to happen.

So we definately have our own dogs, I will be very interested to see how we go when we get our first dog together (which is still YEARS off) I'd say it will be more mine as when you do agility with them the bond is so strong, he will have to get an unagile dog so that I am not tempted to train it :thumbsup:

My OH loves our dogs. Does everything with them, cuddles, plays, feeds, walks, I get the fun jobs like training, grooming and bathing but if I really need him too he will do that as well.

I would say Alchemy is the closest we have to his dog but a lot of the time she will leave him for me.

He was over the moon when we decided to get him is very own Bullmastiff puppy to show. He had the name picked out and even what he would be wearing in the ring :laugh:

So if he has his Bullmastiff puppy when are you getting your Affie? :thumbsup:

Both of ours are joint dogs. We decided on the breed together and every decision regarding both of them has been and will continue to be a joint one.

We share the feeding, grooming, walking etc. We always bath them together as it's just easier that way and we often brush them together and take an end each. When it came to training we both took Indy to puppy pre-school together but the OH had no interest in attending specific training classes. He would do his own training at home with them but would not come to classes. I took Indy on my own for a few years and then also took Kira for a while once we got her.

From the dog's perspective they are both our dogs for the main part and they don't have an obvious favourite most of the time. However if they are scared or worried about something they prefer the OH and they do rank him slightly higher than me as he tends to be that bit more stricter with them than I am. He does cuddle them often but he only does it on his terms and when he wants to, which isn't every single time they get in his face. I on the other hand think they are the cutest things known to man and can't resist cuddling them often. The OH's cuddles are therefore much more highly prized than mine and if his lap is on offer they will go to him over me every time.

I could modify my behaviour in order to have them value my attention more, but I'm happy with our group dynamic as it is.

Edited by Malamum

.....but on a more serious note, our 3 dogs (2 of which we obtained since we were together) are both of ours.

Although I am typically the boss of the dog stuff, OH is very involved with them and loves them dearly.

Outside our business lives, our dogs are our only hobby and passion. All we do when not working is pretty much stuff with our dogs, whether it be fun stuff, training or competing. Our lives are for the most part evolved around our dogs, and we both love it this way :laugh:

OH enjoys coming to all our dog events etc.

Our other ownership joke is that he owns the boy and I own the girls, so it is sort of a battle of the sexes thing, chicks against the blokes :thumbsup:

All tongue in cheek of course.

I am very lucky, we have a great life with our dogs and I am very appreciative that OH is "into" the dogs so much :D