Registered Breeders

Steve

I do remember the ANKC where getting advise from the ACCC on the trades practices act on what a hobby breeder was entitled to before that happened.

Hmmm.

Not sure if I would call puppy farmers hobby breeders.

But I know some cat breeders who have over 30 female cats and call it a "hobby" as well.

Hmmmm. More and more confusing.

A very tangled web that has been woven.

number mean nothing. years ago i knew breeders who had many dogs and all were looked after in a terrific manner.....quantity does not mean a lack of quality

equally there are pet owners who have 1 dog who has a dreadful life as it hasn't ever seen the outside of its back yard

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the ankc has determined that ankc breeders selling puppies to a PIAA pet shop is allowable under their rules and CoE

Thanks for that clarification.

So therefore, like it or not, ANKC is supporting puppy farmers - or at best allowing them to be part of their group. I would not call a group that supports sale of pups to pet shops reputable.

Annie - you have claimed elsewhere to have a legal background/ training - surely then you are familiar with the Trade Practices Act and the concepts of exclusive dealing and anti-competitive behaviour.

I am curious though - what involvement do you have with the dog world? Are you a dog owner?

the ankc has determined that ankc breeders selling puppies to a PIAA pet shop is allowable under their rules and CoE

So therefore, like it or not, ANKC is supporting puppy farmers - or at best allowing them to be part of their group. I would not call a group that supports sale of pups to pet shops reputable.

Annie - you have claimed elsewhere to have a legal background/ training - surely then you are familiar with the Trade Practices Act and the concepts of exclusive dealing and anti-competitive behaviour.

I am curious though - what involvement do you have with the dog world? Are you a dog owner?

Very good questions. I will send you a PM

actually i am curious about these questions as well, maybe you could let us all know the answers

equally there are pet owners who have 1 dog who has a dreadful life as it hasn't ever seen the outside of its back yard

Ain't that the truth i am a full time groomer & see these animals weekly where there loving owners are unable to spend 10 mins a week to brush them .

Bad owners come in all forms

Ain't that the truth i am a full time groomer & see these animals weekly where there loving owners are unable to spend 10 mins a week to brush them .

Bad owners come in all forms

i can only imagine showdog. people need to realise there is no black and white, if there was our lives would be so much simpler

You can have over 30 cats and still not be a farmer, if those cats are well cared for. I'm guessing you are one of those people that associate volume with quality and lump all breeders who have more than a few animals as evil farmers?

Numerous people have PM'ed me to ignore you but I will break the rule just this once.

I am concerned when people treat animals as commodities with little or no concern about the home they go to (ie impulse buy in pet shops) or the welfare of the breeding females, dogs being mass farmed in conditions that have no concern for their physical and mental state.

So I am I have been an animal lover since I was born and love all animals and it upsets me when I see suffering of animals/cruelty to animals/laws that don't protect animals/animals natural environment being destroyed (oratatangs in Bornio - sorry for spelling), dancing bears etc etc

actually i am curious about these questions as well, maybe you could let us all know the answers

Prefer to restrict it to people who I have had respectful dialog with.

If it gets shared so be it.

A Member shall not:

(a) sell any dog to commercial dog wholesalers or retail pet dealers, who are not accredited

by the Pet Industry Association of Australia Limited (PIAA). (05/05)

(b) allow a dog owned by that member to be given as a prize or donation in a contest of any

kind. (10/03)

According to the PIAA website there is only 14 accredited members.

6 - Boarding Kennels & Catteries

2 - Grooming Salons & Mobile

6 - Retail Business

Whilst I don't agree with it, I take it to mean there is only 14 places that registered breeders could sell there puppies to??

The list to the members does not work. :laugh:

Annie99, may I ask why you would ignore Rev Jo? I haven't seen anything anyone could object to written by her - she is simply putting her point across, and giving you more information.

As a new forum user, may I suggest that it may be better to ignore the pms, and deal with what is openly on the forum?

Edited by Jed

I would be interested to now where a MDBA member would stand on the Freedom of sales act??If ANKC can't stop it how do the MDBA expect too??

Ligate question when COE can be over run by govt regs on sales ??

not sure unless it is a voluntary restriction, ie agreement by breeders not to engage in that activity and ramifications by the organisation if they breach their voluntary agreement?

Can someone tell me if this is right

ANKC - sells to pet shop

MDBA - does not sell to pet shops

If that is the case, I will go with MDBA

So you would rather support the MDBA who will allow it's members to breed cross breed dogs??

Well all this energy and the end result is that even just within the last hour on this forum people are sending people off to registered breeders and Im sure considering the topic I noticed is about pet shops that the public will think registered means something different to what the people advising do.

Such is life.

I would be interested to now where a MDBA member would stand on the Freedom of sales act??If ANKC can't stop it how do the MDBA expect too??

not sure unless it is a voluntary restriction, ie agreement by breeders not to engage in that activity and ramifications by the organisation if they breach their voluntary agreement?

ANKC - sells to pet shop

So you would rather support the MDBA who will allow it's members to breed cross breed dogs??

Excuse me ? Since when does the MDBA allow its members to breed cross bred dogs?

ANKC - sells to pet shop

sway i am not sure this is true and also ankc breeders can cross breed dogs and sell them to PIAA pet shops and this is ok with the ankc as long as ankc registered dogs are not used to cross breed.

(i found all this out when i was researching a puppy purchase, it took me months to get all the info)

Annie99, may I ask why you would ignore Rev Jo? I haven't seen anything anyone could object to written by her - she is simply putting her point across, and giving you more information.

As a new forum user, may I suggest that it may be better to ignore the pms, and deal with what is openly on the forum?

Well, I read it and thought, 'Trap!' Maybe those who PM'd Annie thought the same.

ANKC - sells to pet shop

I would support who ever does not sell to pet shops.

And the other ANKC allows cross breed dogs. How else do the pet shops get them? I've rung SO MANY MANY PETS PARADISE stores and ask who they get puppies from and they say BREEDERS.

And I say, what sort of breeders, and they say registered breeders....................and the cycle of confusion and deception continues.

I would support who ever does not sell to pet shops.

And the other ANKC allows cross breed dogs. How else do the pet shops get them? I've rung SO MANY MANY PETS PARADISE stores and ask who they get puppies from and they say BREEDERS.

And I say, what sort of breeders, and they say registered breeders....................and the cycle of confusion and deception continues.

the other ANKC? :laugh: there is only one ANKC

eta you need to ask PP what registry their breeders are on

Edited by Rebanne