Im Going To Get Flamed For This.. I Do Feel Really Bad Though..

Guest bigdogg

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bigdogg

I think you would have been flamed if you felt good about killing the dogs.

I can't help wondering if these neighbours are really slow learners (dog hit on highway - hello?) and you did the dogs a favour PTS.

I'd have flamed you if the dog was not on your property and hadn't looked at any of your stock. Our first family dog was shot by neighbouring farmer - when the dog wasn't even on his farm. Not right.

Guest bigdogg

The poor buggers are doing it tuff i think.. There is about 3 neighbours close to each other and they live in tin humpies / shacks.

I dropped pups i found off at another humpie down the road from them, the poor bugger didnt even have any flooring and had a blanket for a door. His other dogs were looked after well considering the living arrangements.

Ive just spent a few grand getting my kennels up. Worth every cent to me living so close to the highway.. (still have to finish the dog run and make beds)

post-10526-1294858663_thumb.jpg

Where I grew up it didn't matter what colour or breed the dog was - if it was worrying or killing stock animals, it was shot at by the owners of the stock.

Our house dog decided to rack off and "play" with another roaming dog from down the valley one night... our dog came home with a bullet in him, but it wasn't a fatal shot. My dad (after getting the bullet removed from the dog) found out which neighbour/farmer had shot him, apologised and asked if the dog had actually damaged any of the farmer's stock. Luckily he hadn't actually killed any of the cattle they had been chasing - but the other dog wasn't as lucky as our boy. We kept the dog chained if unsupervised after that.

You are fully within your rights to shoot any stray animal attacking your stock... no flaming from me...

T.

You poor thing, I totally sympathize :(

A similar thing happened to me last week. Since I moved here the neighbours ACD has been coming on to my property. Ive spent a fortune on good fencing keeping my own pets and stock as safe as possible. He would get in to my garbage and stir my dogs up but he wouldnt let me near him. I learned from my other neighbours that he had killed their chooks then last week found him in my stock paddock with my lamb and chooks. I chased him out and blocked up the hole he had dug. I then left a friendly note for my neighbour asking if he could please keep his dog in as I worry about the lamb and chooks. He came around and apologized. The next day 3 of my 4 chooks were killed. I dont know if it was his dog or not but left another note saying the chooks were killed and and said it may have been his dog or a fox. I offered to help him construct a way to keep his dog in. Two days later he came over and said he had taken his dog to the pound. :hug: I felt so awful as there was no proof. I would have helped him do something to contain his dog, or at the least help rehome him straight in to another home rather than the pound. I keep thinking about his dog and wondering if he was rehomed or pts. It felt like he took very drastic action. Lovely man though who also insisted on paying for the chickens. It keeps running through my mind that maybe it was just foxes. :rofl:

Oh, you did the right thing... hugs to you :rofl:

And this may seem odd, but I had a similar dream about this last night, where wild cats got to the chickens. I remember shooing them off but I never had a gun. Fortunately the chickens were ok but just had some scratches.

Edited by dogfan

You did absolutely nothing wrong. Regardless of if they were dogs or dingos, they were mauling your animals. Any dogs found wandering here on my property are destroyed. I have very valuable horses here and don't take risks with them. I'm sorry if this sounds harsh but it's the law of the land. If ppl don't want their dogs shot, don't let them wander onto other ppls land. Simple.

I do feel sad for the girl, but I think owners really do need to take more responsibility for their dogs containment and welfare. They have no one to blame but themselves. Don't feel too bad bigdog. Hugs to you.

I feel for you and I think you did the right thing hard though it is. If someone owns dogs then it is their responsibility to make sure they are safe and cannot get out to damage or kill other animals or birds.

Our dogs are locked in their runs if we are not here as we live in a farming area and I don't want to come home to find a dead dog.

I feel for you, I honestly do. It is such a sticky situation.

We have dogs coming onto our land quite often, as in the country people seem to be even more lax about keeping their dogs contained.

My husband has had to shoot many dogs, usually young pups who are far too eager and want to chase sheep, often chasing them until they are at the point of exhaustion and then need to be put down due to broken legs etc (the sheep).

No one wants to kill another animal, it always makes you feel like crap, but you did what you had to do to protect your stock :crossfingers:

Easy to say, but don't feel bad.

We often travel to sheep/cattle areas with my 3 BC's, but not for their enjoyment. 2 of the 3 are 'half trained' on stock (got half way into it and decided it wasn't really for us, but they LOVE it) so my biggest fear is that they will get away from us and end up with lead poisoning.

If that were to happen then so be it - my fault for not looking after them properly. People should not need a second lesson.

Next time it may have been your sheep instead of a chook and a turkey....someone elses pets do not have the right to come and kill your pets. I know you feel bad but I know my partner would have done the same thing.

i totally agree with this one, they were on your property eating your animals,

what would have happened if you had of realised they were pets and gone up to them and tried to get them away from the fowls they had killed, they may have very well attacked you :shrug: , and this would not have been good,

it is not your fault they were not secure and not your fault they got into your property and attacked your animals

try not to beat yourself up about it, i understand you feel bad but it could have been worse

you have the right to protect yourself and your animals on your property

i probably wouldn't have asked that question if i had know that it has happened multiple time and the owners of the dogs were irrisponsible sad situation but you can't take chances don't put yourself down.

The reason why i asked if you would/wouldn't have shot the dogs if you knew they were pets is they have already killed the animal and it was dead. you may have had a chance to ask them to pay you money for the livestock and to keep them fenced and contained or they will be shot with no questions asked next time (even if its a law you obviously feel saddend).

for the country dogs to even have collars on they should no better to keep them contained if they are pets living near stock and birds sorry to hear what you had to go through.