Getting A New Breed

huski

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm another pleased to see Pyr Sheps in Australia. I would LOVE to see some in the flesh. My husband just informed me there is no room for another dog, lol.

:o I hope I'll get to add one to my crew in the future provided I like them when I meet some in the flesh, but it won't be for a LONG time! I already have my next 3 dogs planned :rofl:

Completely out of left field, and probably too big for you... Boxer?

Edit - I was also going to say Welsh Springer Spaniel, but the breed has been bought up twice already.

I like Boxers but yeah bit bigger than what I'm after for my current situation.

I was looking at Welsh Springers, great little dogs

For those who have recommended WSS, what is the difference between them and English Springers? ESS are the only non-beagle breed I am leaning towards at the moment. It would be one from field lines though from the limited research I have done.

Huski.....you missed one breed that ticks all the boxes...A KELPIE!! :D

I quite like kelpies, the ones I have met have been lovely. But not sure they are quite what I want and I don't love them looks wise :rofl:

A springer would be great, or another beagle. BUT you are missing the best one- a rough coat JRT!!! :o

If I was after a small dog it would almost definitely be a rough coated JRT! They are spunky little dogs, I really like them.

What worries me about getting another beagle is getting one that doesn't have as much drive as I am after, I know you can temperament test and everything and I am really keen to see what would happen with a beag I raised the "right" way from eight weeks, but I do have some reservations. The benefit of an ESS from what I can tell so far is that if I got one form field lines it would be more guarantee that I'd get the drive and temp I am after. Beags are everything I love in a dog though.

Edited by huski

My Boxer is smaller than my husky :D about border collie size... the females aren't big :D

One my list if I ever venture into a different group (love my utility dogs) is Brittany :rofl: but I like clingy-ish dogs :o

My Boxer is smaller than my husky :D about border collie size... the females aren't big :D

One my list if I ever venture into a different group (love my utility dogs) is Brittany :rofl: but I like clingy-ish dogs :o

Which do you find drivier, Boxagirl? My Sibe is both very prey and food driven. If I ever got another Sibe I'd want one just like him (another reason I'm not in a hurry to get another Sibe - Micha is after all the best Sibe in the world, and any Sibe I ever own will forever be compared to him :D)

Edited by huski

:) Mischa reminds me alot of Wolf!

Wow can't believe you picked that! Wolf has a Matrak bitch in the 3rd generation of his pedigree.

Heres his pedigree

Thought so :eek: Mish's sire was a Matrak dog, I can spot them a mile off :) Now I know why I think Wolf is so handsome :cry:

Edited by huski

Are Wolf and Mischa related? :)

Mish has four Matrak dogs in his pedigree so I am sure they are distantly related in some way, Mish doesn't have Matrak Mychaela in his pedigree though so I'd have to see an extended one or see Mychaela's pedigree to know for sure.

Edited by huski

I know a boxer who needs 'calming' and massage before agility comps :D very high drive. great dog.

I think wheatens, poodles etc may have too much coat?

I'd say a portugese, except for the coat, or even an airedale.

Flatcoats are terrific :) and lovely looking too.

I see Manchesters are out, shame, great dogs and 3 around the comps who are incredible, I'd love one...

ESS are great, lots of grooming though..

Welshies lovely, some can be a bit suspicious.. but you know what you are doing so I'm sure there'd be no probs. :)

I'd say an ACD would be the perfect match and has all the requirements you are after. :):eek: there are some terrific workig line ones in QLD. my cousin in law has a stunning and clever girl who also has the best ever temperament, I'd take her tomorrow if I could. she's a champ in agility, endurance, tracking.

Foxhound? you have great experience with hounds ;) ;)

lovely ones around, QLD has great breeders here, gorgeous, friendly, pretty, dogs.

dont know how challenging they'd be to train, but the ones at the shows are very well behaved.

Irish Water Spaniel? we had these, lovely, may be too much coat, although they are meant to be 'left' to be natural.

whippet? wonderful :p

vizsla would be perfect, no coat, super intelligent, fast, focussed, eager to please etc. but,,, clingy. ;) what about a wire viz? bit more laid back.

I've also seen wonderful ridgies and giant schnauzers in sports,, both lovely and I've had giants and they are terrific dogs, very drivey, may be too large though..

ay dog you have will be soooo lucky :cry: :D

Edited by Monah

I'm another pleased to see Pyr Sheps in Australia. I would LOVE to see some in the flesh. My husband just informed me there is no room for another dog, lol.

:) I hope I'll get to add one to my crew in the future provided I like them when I meet some in the flesh, but it won't be for a LONG time! I already have my next 3 dogs planned :)

I'm a die hard border collie person who shows no interest in owning other breeds but I love what I have read and seen of these little guys and could be very seriously tempted...

As to suggestions for Huski - um I was thinking a Belgain variety - a terv or groen, not as high drive as a Malanois. A spaniel fo some sort - field, English, Welsh, Brittany. What about Italian Spinone - too big maybe?

Spins are too big, have coat, and are plodders, built for stamina not speed, :eek: but very capable of doing and enjoying all doggy sports, and a wonderful breed :):):cry:

I think belgians are too big for huski's needs. :D

Am currently in the uk and have just walked my dad's welsh springer, George. Don't know about lines in Australia but George is not what I would call drivey. He is a bit birdy but but would have nowhere near the drive of my stafford x or the intensity I would think you would be looking for for TID. He also has a lot of coat, feet need constant attention, ears, etc, much more coat than a Brittany.

We grew up with welshies, they are great dogs but in the UK here you do need to be aware of lines re temperament. We did have one bitch who was not trustworthy with kids. Dads current dog is fantastic, but George reminds me of goofy. :)

They are smaller dogs (slightly) than ESS.

Steve Austin does a lot of work with working line ESS. I have seen a couple of videos with dogs he has taken to Macquarie Island for the rabbit eradication program. They are very drivey though, he did say in a talk they wouldn't be good pets. I know you want them to be drivey and have done great things with Daisy in TID, but do you want that drivey ie they could be comparable to working line Mal in drive if they are true working lines. I loved the look of them, smaller and much less coat than the show line, but very very busy.

My sister in UK has a 5 month old HWV. She is beautiful, very confident, very bouncey I think she has a good level of drive (some of her sibling have gone to working homes), but I would have her if I could :eek: . Not many HWV's in Australia, though. Having met Penny who is one of the first bitches in Australia (a Silvanus import from the UK) she is a lovely dog and not huge. They would be a consideration for me if I was considering dog sports. Sorry can't remember if you discounted HWV's? So better stop rabbiting on :)

Edited by Quickasyoucan