Venting

Loraine

Yesterday a child has his face bittne by a BUll Mastif.

The dog was tied up outside a shopping centre, the boy (with his mother) went to pat the unattended dog, odg tore at the kids face. :thumbsup:

I am so mad, the council have apparently seized the dog and he is to be euthanised this afternoon. Not the dog's fault, what the heck was the mother thinking ot let her son go touch a strange dog, :D

sorry folks, I am just PO''d.

Dont blame the mother, blame the owner. Poor little kid, the dog should be PTS. The dog was out in public, its not ideal to approach a strange dog, but you need to expect that people will do that. So unless you have a bomb proof dog, dont do it.

The dog was out in public, its not ideal to approach a strange dog, but you need to expect that people will do that. So unless you have a bomb proof dog, dont do it.

I agree with this. I'd do it with our two old dogs, but the younger two? No way. It's not worth the risk.

Edited by Bundy's Mum

This is a terrible terrible situation for the dog but unfortunately it is 100% the fault of its owner. Let it be a lesson to everyone to NEVER leave their dog tied up outside shops.

Not only could someone be bitten (you never know what even the most bombproof dog would do if it felt like it was being threatened) someone could steal your dog or physically hurt it. Why would you want to risk it?

Owners fault 100%

Even if you do have a bomb proof dog, it's not a good idea to leave a dog tied unattended. You just never know what will happen.

I have to say it's quite naive for the mother to let her child go up to pat a big, strange dog though. I mean, that's just plain silly.

Stupid stupid owner, My lot are pretty bomb proof the two girls are therapy dogs and all have excellent natures but there is no way I would tie them up outside a shop and leave them there, not even for a minute.

If I see a dog tied up I never pat even if the dog is friendly looking and as much as I would like to. We were always taught as kids you don't pat dogs you don't know. As we got older we learnt to ask the owner if the dog was ok to pat. There is a lot of dog savvy people out there but I think for every 1 dog savvy person there is 100 that are not.

Awful situation for all involved.

Stupid owner and dangerous dog...always a bad combination. The dog will, (rightly) be PTS; pity the owner won't suffer the same fate, but if it were up to me I would make them be there when it happens...maybe, just maybe, they would realise some of the consequences of their idiocy! :laugh:

i was at the shops one day and there is a dog in the shop running around clearly looking for its owner. i was tied up out side and sliped its harness. :laugh:

i walk out there (i have been a vet nurse and a groomer) and this idiot lady is trying to grab the dog it was hiding and pannicking and it was going to attack her. Im sure it had snaped a few times before i went out.

i said to the secuirty guard she need to step away and use the other end make a noose slip it over and catch him that way. she was trying to get him and put his harness back on. when he finally steped up and told her to do what i suggested. not long after the owners come back acting all innocent i was not impressed :o

i dont get the whole go into the shops and leave the dog outside. when we took our old dog away (he was the size of a rat lol) and i had to (it was to get fish and chips i orded and waited out with him and was only a min max at time. no way i would do my shopping.

Edited by TsarsMum

Owners fault 100%

Even if you do have a bomb proof dog, it's not a good idea to leave a dog tied unattended. You just never know what will happen.

I have to say it's quite naive for the mother to let her child go up to pat a big, strange dog though. I mean, that's just plain silly.

I agree with this.

It never ceases to amaze me how stupid people can be. Last year there were two dogs tied up outside my chiropractor and they were going off their nut at everyone who walked past! And they were not mucking around - they would have bitten someone if they got close enough. They were blocking 80% of the path. The stupid owner was in having an adjustment and just ignored their behaviour!!

On the news tonight it said he'd been tied up there for at least 4 hours and it was hot yesterday. They had a BM breeder on who said the poor thing was probably dehydrated and not in his right mind. He should have been put down (which he was) but I'm glad she stood up for the poor dog.

Bloody idiot owner, who should be done by the RSPCA IF he/she did infact leave there dog tied there for 4 hours.

And stupid stupid mother for allowing a child to not only go up to an unknown one, but a large one at that.

I hope the child is not traumatised for life or ends up hating dogs because their mother was an imbicile!

Having said that I was waiting down the beach while my eldest had swimming leassons, dogs came along for the ride. On lead and behaving as per normal. I felt one of them move and a young child had his hand out patting my dogs head while he was on a short lead standing just behind me. Yeah okay a young kid, his mother was half a step behind him about to pat the dogs herself. I explained they should ask before patting dogs as not all dogs are friendly and while mine love anyone to pat them not all do. The mothers answer, oh you can tell yours were well behaved lovely dogs from looking at them, of courser they are fine to pat!!

Now how do you educate stupid like that!

The owner is an idiot, we all agree, but who ever was supervising the kid is to blame as well. What fool lets their child approach a strange dog? I don't understand why people think that's okay :rasberry:

Poor dog, poor kid. Maybe this can be used to educate people. Educate owners about why leaving their dogs unattended isn't a good idea; what can go wrong and the consequences. Educate kids and parents about the dangers of approaching strange dogs.

I must admit I think people are a bit better than they used to be. We took the dogs down to the foreshore with us on the weekend and there were a heap of people down there. All of the parents told their kids to ask first before patting the dogs.

There's no way I'd leave my dogs tied up unattended in a public place, for their own safety if nothing else.

Society has changed so much. When I was a child in the UK in the 50's & 60's dogs were allowed in most shops but it was common for owners to tie the dog outside for a couple of minutes while they popped in the shop.

They didn't get stolen or bite people, I wonder why ?

If children charged up to the dog like little brats & the dog growled the child got told off & maybe a little smack.

Maybe some dogs did bite but it was not frequent event & in the media & I never knew anyone who got bitten.

Now its not safe to leave your dog in the car for a few minutes while you pop in the shop in case someone steals your dog or your car & dogs are not allowed anywhere much really.

Stupid mother, stupid owner & dead dog. Sad times.

I have never and will never leave my dogs tied up outside of shops....not because my dogs would bite but because i don't trust other people to do the right thing...people see a dog and think it has to be petted...

and most definately dogs that have reactivity issues of any kind should not be left unattended and tethered at shopping places.....

very unfortunate for the little girl and another dog has to be PTS because people dont think of the potential consequences of their actions

Stupid owner for leaving the dog tied up, & stupid mother for letting her child pat a strange dog! :confused:

Unfortunately the dog will now lose its life & the child will most likely be left with physical & emotional scarring because of these two stupid people. :eek:

How do we know, this isn't the first time the dog showed such behaviour? Maybe the dog just randomly snapped. We just don't know.

I don't blame the owner based on the facts presented. The only thing that can be said with any certainty, is that the mother was wrong in letting her child near the dog.