Anyone Else Get Emotional As Your Dog Gets Older?

Muttaburra

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy Birthday Max. :)

My Lab girl Bella turns 10 this coming September and yes I get emotional about it in between wondering how come those years seemed to go so fast. I always have to remember to seize the day, each day and appreciate each moment with my precious dogs.

Edited by LabTested

I Hope you had a very "Happy Birthday" Maxie!! :)

My sweet little Jessie (Aussie terrier x JRT) is 13 now. I've had her since she was 11 months old (rescued her from a work mate of my OH that didn't want her any more & was going to dump her at the pound) :mad

She has always been the sweetest little girl & such a loyal companion. She was our only dog until we got our first Purebred Aussie terrier puppy Bailey when Jessie was 9 years old. She has never once been jelous of Bailey or the other 2 dogs we have welcomed into the family since then. In fact she seems to adore her young friends & I believe they keep her going. :(

She just loves mucking around with them & mothering them & the young ones seem to really respect her. :(

She is going grey, has a little bit of arthritis in her back leg, & has been suffering recurring yeast infections in her right ear for about 4 years now, which has made her partially deaf. The vet has reccomended that she has surgery to remove her ear canal, due to polyps now growing in her ear. But at her age we are still debating if we should put her through a surgery as big as that. We plan to take her to another vet for a second opinion when we have finished her current medication.

Other than this problem the vet thinks she is in pretty good condition for her age.

She seems to still have quite a bit of energy & keeps up with the young ones around the property, although she does go into long deep sleeps too, & sometimes she sleeps so soundly that I have to check that she's still breathing. :)

Yes I get emotional about her aging & the thought that she could leave us at any time, I think of all the great times we have had over the years & I can literally make myself cry over the thought of her leaving us. :shrug: I also worry how my other dogs will cope when she goes. They are all really close to her, & fret when we take her anywhere (like when when the OH took her to the vet the other day, they 3 of them sat at the door whimpering & pining for her until my hubby came home with her) :eat:

I know the best thing I can do for my sweet Jessie now is to just keeping loving her & giving her the best life possible while she is still with us.

It's just so unfair that dogs have such short life spans. :D

Here is a photo of my dear old Jessie taken about 2 months ago

082-1.jpg

Edited by Baileys mum

I adore the old dogs bless their little hearts ♥

I get emotional about Miley even though she is only around 5, as her mother died at 6 years old and it "could" happen to her.

I feel blessed to have her everyday, but I dread knowing that one day she won't be around :)

I have 2 border collies that are turning 9 and 11 this year. The oldest started going grey about 2 years old so I have hardy noticed her aging. KC my precious girl only starting going grey last year. They are still fit and active and keep up on long walks with my 16 months pup. My old BC boy was the same, then he turned twelve and became an old dog very suddenly :) It is sad having 2 who will get old together, I'm hoping they go for a few years yet as companions and mentors to my young dog as I want around a 4 year gap between dogs now. My last two boys died within 6 months of each other aged 17 and 13 and that was so hard.

My Zeddy (Rotti/Pittie) will be 12 this year. She has some grey around her muzzle, a few funny lumps and bumps and skin tags, gets a little stiff in Winter - but don't tell her she's getting old! She still plays with my foster pups, just not as energetically as my 5 year old Labrador...

I think Zeddy might be with us for a few more years yet, as she's in pretty perfect health...

Happy birthday Maxi... remember - you are only as old as you let yourself feel...

T.

Oh Nekh, I'm so glad you posted. Tucker is turning 8 this year (not for months tho) and I get emotional whenever I look at his face and see that he's starting to go grey around his mouth :) I never used to be that bothered, but since I lost Bambi I've developed slight seperation anxiety around my dog (and he's fine! :love:)

Happy birthday to Maxi. :) And Jessie is just gorgeous! Slightly biased but I LOVE the JRT types (guess why!)

E x

I got fairly hysterical when Moss turned 10yo. I looked up their life expectancy, got a bit more hysterical. He lived until he was 15yo! So the hysteria was a bit premature.

When this current lot get to that age I might be a might more freaked about my age, lol.

Happy Birthday Maxie!!!

My girl Sharnie is now 14. Her eyes are now a little cloudy and her hearing ain't what it used to be, she has arthritis, has a few lumps and bumps over her body and is a little grey now. She had a rough year last year after suffering a severe episode of vestibular which has now affected her balance and mobility. However, she still gets excited and wiggles her little bum when she sees me getting her lead to go for our now short 5-10 minute daily walk. I take each day I have with her now as a bonus and try and make everyday we have together as happy and comfortable as possible. Here's my gorgeous girl.

5007681731_66bf005a0f_m.jpg

As with most things in life it's not always the quantity but the quality that counts..I believe that adage applies to our two. Irrespective of when they go (7 years and 4 years currently) I will know that they've had the best life myself and OH could give them..that makes me very happy.

Happiest of birthdays to Maxie.

very emotional.

I had the unfortunate experience a few years ago of having 3 old dogs. :) two 'ring ins' and one of mine. I had the ringins for years, one for 15 years and one for 8 years (7 when I got her)

When I go out or walk the dogs I see many dogs I know are old, and worry I may not see them tomorrow...

If I dont see them, I'm almost too afraid to 'ask' where they are..

I was lucky to be able to spend the last 3 weeks of one of my oldies life with him every minute, he had a tumour. also with another who had cancer.. I've benn lucky too that the youngestt dog I've ever 'lost' was a wolfie, 11 years, old for a wolfie. :love: all my dogs have made it easily to their teens.

I do have a 17 year old cat and every moment in the last few years has been very special.. personally, I cannott see him g;oing for a few years yet.! :)

Edited by Monah

I remember being very upset when my first dog started to trip over things on walks when her eyesight first started to go. In the last year of her life I made a few friends locally from walking her. One lady in particular had a dog about 6 months older. We would walk along slowly together if we met when we were our walking our oldies. It was good to have someone to talk to about it. I got very anxious about my girl's deteriorating health. It helped to have a sympathetic ear.

Current boys are young and it's hard to imagine them getting old, but it'll creep up on us and one day we'll get a bit panicky when we suddenly realise they aren't going to be with us forever. But it passes and if I'm as lucky with them as I was with my last dog, we'll have plenty of time to get used to the idea and adjust to their new needs as they move into old age.

Belated Happy Birthday to Maxie.

This is Columbus, who came from Hawkesbury Pound 6 years ago. He was estimated to be at least 12 then. He is deaf but still very spritely, and loves a game with the youngsters. He is a dear old man.

21111032.jpg

My oldies are 10 and 11 this year and you wouldn't know it. But in the last 6-12mths, Champa's face has suddenly started to get grey hairs and Maisie has stiffened up a bit. I forget that they are getting on in years, and its upsetting when you realise that you are on the downward slope now. :love: Having said that, I am pretty sure that Champa is going to live forever just to spite me! LOL!

I love an old dog. I have a saying - "old dog = no rules"!! I spoil them shamelessly. :)

sooooo...... Flynn was not spoilt before? :):thumbsup: :D :)

FHRP tolerates me feeding him biscuits. She'll even find the packet to give them to him now.

What the Wonder Dog wants, he pretty much gets these days. :)

Belated Happy Birthday to Maxie. This is Columbus, who came from Hawkesbury Pound 6 years ago. He was estimated to be at least 12 then. He is deaf but still very spritely, and loves a game with the youngsters. He is a dear old man.

21111032.jpg

Thanks for Maxi's birthday wishes everyone, anyway he got a couple of new toys and some lamb mince for dinner, whilst we settled for cake and wine :thumbsup:

Here's a recent pic of him, sometime his gums draw back on his teeth when he sleeps and looks quite funny.