What Is An English Staffy?

Parkeyre

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, just what the world needs...another idiot with a "nice dog" that they want to breed.

How do we ever hope to stop this? :(

Oh but he's pure breed...ive just conveniently lost his 'papers' (AKA receipt from the pet shop)

Ditto :D

On a facebook discussion page (English vs American Staffy) I made the terrible mistake of correcting ppl that there was no such thing as an English staffy. I guess I should have known better. :(

Edited by Montage

Why dont people like them being called Staffies? Lots of other breeds get abbreviated. GSDs (german shepherd dogs) GSPs (german shorthaired pointers) Foxies (Fox Terriers) Greys (Greyhounds) Rotties (Rottweilers) Dachies (Daschund) to name a few. Please dont flame me, it's just that I have wondered about this before. Why is it so offensive. I'm looking to be enlightened here please, not burned to a crisp.

On a facebook discussion page (English vs American Staffy) I made the terrible mistake of correcting ppl that there was no such thing as an English staffy. I guess I should have known better. :laugh:

I've made the same mistake in person...but I persisted because people need to be educated. :(

I gave them info on the various Kennel Clubs so they could have a look for themselves.

One co-worker actually didn't know the correct breed names, so was rather happy for me to assist in their understanding of why a Staffordshire Bull Terrier should not be mistakenly named as an English Staffy. Oh, and apparently blue staffies are *rare* so should cost three times the price of other colours! :laugh: :D

Why dont people like them being called Staffies? Lots of other breeds get abbreviated. GSDs (german shepherd dogs) GSPs (german shorthaired pointers) Foxies (Fox Terriers) Greys (Greyhounds) Rotties (Rottweilers) Dachies (Daschund) to name a few. Please dont flame me, it's just that I have wondered about this before. Why is it so offensive. I'm looking to be enlightened here please, not burned to a crisp.

I've always wondered too.....I call my boy a Staffy, not a stafford.

Staffie vs Stafford is a hand me down from the older generation especially the English breeders. Most of them loathed and dispised the term "staffie" (and many still do) because they felt it demended the breed and made it sound like a cutsie dog such as a Yorkie (which was a common breed in the UK, much more common than here). Times have changed and now the breed needs all the cutsie is needs in some countries, but many still hate the term.

Some make the distinction - a Stafford is a pedigree dog, a Staffie is a generic brindle mutt.

Personally I hate the term but I'm not going to implode if someone else uses it.

English Staffie - now sorry that is just ignorance and frankly if you can't figure out the difference between the names Staffordshire Bull Terrier and an American Staffordshire Terrier you're an oxygen thief

Edited by Sandra777

When i hear the term Staffie i think of brindle or tan/ red mutts. When i hear the term English Staffie i think of Bogans :thumbsup:.

Edited by Clover

i wish those breeders aka BYB would read this i love when i read the saturday paper the first thing i go to is the classifieds to see how many back yard breeders there are.

Bloody are half of them claim they have english staffies and the people who buy them gah! god help us

i get the same frustration with the whole kelpie name... there are so many different viarieties now drives me nuts sometimes. where did the standard australian kelpie go!

I know it's not the correct term but English Staffy is the name usually given to the small pure breed Staffordshire Bull Terrier. There are so many crosses these days & most are much bigger than these dogs that it's not surprising some people are trying to make them distinct from other "staffies".

The term English Staffy usually means around here it is a small version. :D

For the record I don't own a staffy but if I did it would be a small one.

i wish those breeders aka BYB would read this i love when i read the saturday paper the first thing i go to is the classifieds to see how many back yard breeders there are.

Bloody are half of them claim they have english staffies and the people who buy them gah! god help us

i get the same frustration with the whole kelpie name... there are so many different viarieties now drives me nuts sometimes. where did the standard australian kelpie go!

Really?