What Is An English Staffy?

Parkeyre

Why dont people like them being called Staffies? Lots of other breeds get abbreviated. GSDs (german shepherd dogs) GSPs (german shorthaired pointers) Foxies (Fox Terriers) Greys (Greyhounds) Rotties (Rottweilers) Dachies (Daschund) to name a few. Please dont flame me, it's just that I have wondered about this before. Why is it so offensive. I'm looking to be enlightened here please, not burned to a crisp.

I don't know about being offensive. I usually abbreviate the names cause I can't always remember how to spell some of them. Like a chihuaua (you know small dog group 1)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some make the distinction - a Stafford is a pedigree dog, a Staffie is a generic brindle mutt.

Then I'm still correct calling him a Staffy :D

usually abbreviate the names cause I can't always remember how to spell some

You can't spell SBT?? ;)

The term English Staffy usually means around here it is a small version. :D

It's a version now? :)

For the record I don't own a staffy but if I did it would be a small one.

If you did it would be a Staffordshire Bull Terrier (Stafford, SBT) not an American Staffordshire Terrier (Amstaff)??

I can only imagine the problem joe public has with English Setter and English Springer if they have such an issue with SBT & Am Staff. :)

Edited by Sandra777

I am continually told how my staffy is such a beautiful dog and such a fine specimen of the breed and I am continually telling people how she is actually a very badly back yard bred girl from the pound, then they go on to tell me how amazing it is that I got such a great dog from the pound.

Although she is beautiful to me she is neither a Stafford or Am Staff, she's in between those sizes, and far from a fine specimen.

But yeah some people refer to any small statured, muscly staffy as an English.

Usually I don't bother wasting my breath to explain the correct terminology. What annoys me way more than that is the amount of random stangers that enthusiastically bound up out of seemingly nowhere to ask if they can breed their english or american staffy bitch with Vulcan, my (desexed) male SBT.

I try and bite my tounge and extricate myself from the situation asap.

Do other breeds get this too, or is it unique to the bull breeds?

Usually I don't bother wasting my breath to explain the correct terminology. What annoys me way more than that is the amount of random stangers that enthusiastically bound up out of seemingly nowhere to ask if they can breed their english or american staffy bitch with Vulcan, my (desexed) male SBT.

I try and bite my tounge and extricate myself from the situation asap.

Ummm, in answer to your question, a lot of bogans have bull breeds, so yep, I think that's your answer. :happydance::happydance2:

I don't mean to offend because obviously a lot of terrific and responsible owners have bull breeds as well, it's just that a lot of bogans seem to choose bull breeds and mixes as opposed to other breeds and mixes. Same with rockwheelers...lots of bogans have them too! ;)

"English Staffy" - term when used by the breeder of any dog of this description, should prompt potential buyers to bolt in the other direction.

If ever there's a red flag for puppy purchasers, its when 'breeders' can't get the name or the spelling of the breed right.

I saw a very cute SBT being walked one day and spoke to her owner about where he bought her - he said she was an 'English Stafford' from a breeder in the middle of Victoria somewhere. I liked how she was small, compact and has a very feminine face with a shorter nose than I was used to seeing on staffords.

I went googling and that's how I discovered DOL (many years ago) because I asked about where I would find a nice english staffy and was politely put in my place. Everyone was very nice about it though :(

I was told at the time that there are different 'versions' (if you like) of stafford, the 'bull' type with the broad tanky bodies and big wide faces and the 'terrier' type with shorter faces and less stocky bodies - I have no idea if that's still deemed to be correct, but it made sense at the time lol. Perhaps the 'English' staffords are more like the 'terrier type' in some people's eyes and they're just looking for a way to distinguish them

ahh english staffy ... a woman walked into work and proudly announced they had purchased a purebred puppy. Somehow she wanted the giant kennel. Perplexed I asked how big the parents were, she put her hand to her knee saying that was dad O_o err yeah no

Ever heard of a Golden Labrador?...you know, the blonde ones :(

ETA...correction, its usually golden labradore lol

Oh, just like the Golden Retriever is actually two separate breeds which have been put together...you know the "Golden" labrador and the "any type of Retriever" that it's crossed with. :laugh:

Have these people ever read a pedigree? Nope, stupid question really - they can barely read a cereal box! :laugh:

ahh english staffy ... a woman walked into work and proudly announced they had purchased a purebred puppy. Somehow she wanted the giant kennel. Perplexed I asked how big the parents were, she put her hand to her knee saying that was dad O_o err yeah no

I get them as well, people come in and say they need worming/frontline for their Staffordshire bull terrier, i say ok, so between 15 - 20kgs?

The owners usually look at me in shock, then tell me no, their SBT weighs 30 - 40kgs.... Im finding it harder and harder to keep my mouth shut!

Oh, just like the Golden Retriever is actually two separate breeds which have been put together...you know the "Golden" labrador and the "any type of Retriever" that it's crossed with. :laugh:

Have these people ever read a pedigree? Nope, stupid question really - they can barely read a cereal box! :laugh:

Get it right, the golden retriever is just a long haired labradore...Im guessing if they ever saw a flat coat retriever then they would just think they are the long haired variety of the other two colours

"English Staffy" - term when used by the breeder of any dog of this description, should prompt potential buyers to bolt in the other direction.

If ever there's a red flag for puppy purchasers, its when 'breeders' can't get the name or the spelling of the breed right.

I see plenty of German Shepherd dog owners who say they've got a German sheperd or shepard and lots of chiwawa owners too so it's not just SBT breeders who cant spell the name of their breed. Reminds me of a woman I used to work with who said she named her daughter Tara because it was the only name she knew how to spell.

Oh, just like the Golden Retriever is actually two separate breeds which have been put together...you know the "Golden" labrador and the "any type of Retriever" that it's crossed with. ;)

Have these people ever read a pedigree? Nope, stupid question really - they can barely read a cereal box! :eek:

Get it right, the golden retriever is just a long haired labradore...Im guessing if they ever saw a flat coat retriever then they would just think they are the long haired variety of the other two colours

Funny story (not), had a friend who told me he'd bought a golden retriever.

He sent me a photo...... funny coloured GR. It was a liver flatcoat. :cry: