Why Don't You Holiday With Your Dog?

dee lee

Dogmad:

I did try and rent somewhere dog friendly early last year but because I wanted to take 2 or 3 dogs, the people were not at all happy so we didn't go. Seems it's OK with 1 dog.

Dogmad I haven't had any bother at all here in SA - maybe you should come here!! I have three B and B's I go to for the weekend and none of them have baulked at three westies and I know one of the B and Bs has two houses and specifically recommends one of them for bigger dogs. The trick is to hunt around for genuinely dog-friendly places which allow dogs inside. (Dogs outside suggests to me that they are not genuinely dog friendly).

When I'm booking for the first time I say I can get references from other B and Bs if they would like. I'm also very careful to describe my guys by name as quiet old dogs and give their ages and describe them as well-behaved which they are - I also mention that Sarah is obedience -trained - in other words play up their 'good' points! I take all their stuff with me (me - one bag and some food -the rest of the car is their gear! :D) , including a couple of sheets to cover the lounge, toilet carefully since there is usually no doggy door, pick-up the poo, leave the place so you would never know they have been there - and at my favourite place I invite the owners who have a gorgeous westie to come and have lunch on one day. They have seen that I look after the place and I have no trouble (even get a discount on the advertised rate these days! :)) .

So dogmad I think it can be done - even with big dogs - you just have to find the right spot. Hope that helps - and let me know if you would like a doggie sojourn in the beautiful Adelaide Hills!

Edited to fix the quote!

ETA I do think you need to expect to pay a few extra dollars - but I find most places are soooo generous with the provisions really all you need to take is clothes your toothbrush and your dog stuff - so the extra you spend on rent is compensated for by the food you don't need to buy.

Edited by westiemum

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We went to Queensland last year, had a very good friend (thanks again Pebbles) stay here to look after all the dogs. She tells me she had a great time? and we had a lovely relaxing holiday. Sometimes it's just nice to get away from the usual routine of feeding, grooming and cleaning.

I holiday both with and without the westies - last year I had just over three weeks overseas without them and I think I pined for them worse than they pined for me (at least they had my Mum) :) I was really quite pathetic - mooning over their pictures most days!

I pine when I go to work ... #alsopathetic

When I went overseas in 2003 for three weeks, I rang every day to see how my dog was. Mum would say, 'He's fine, he's fine.' My sister rang me and said flatly, 'They can't even mention your name to him because he goes looking for you.'

Me too :)

When I was overseas apparently Andy sat at the front door for the first 4 or 5 days waiting for me. Eventually they all settled but the moment I walked in the door they were all over me as if Mum didn't exist - poor Mum!! :D

I must admit I doubt I'll go away for quite so long again - I miss them too badly and I don't sleep well without the soothing noise of Mac snoring! :) :D

We have a Kelpie X, so there is no question whether she goes or not. She spends most of the time in the car waiting for someone to be going somewhere anyway.

I have noticed that whenever anyone recommends a place to stay, Stayz or take-a-break was always bought up, we found a place through this site and it was really good. We got talking to the owner and he told us that he charges $15 more per night for stayz and take-a-break booking as that is what they charge per night for a booking through them on top of there yearly fee and most of the places in the district did the same, so if you like the look of somewhere on stayz, don't send off an inquiry through them as that commits them to charge you the extra booking fee, Just Google the name and go straight to their website, it could save you quite a bit of money. There are alot of great places on this site and holidaying with dog both have direct links to the propertys web pages , so you can get the best deal.

Edited by mervin

Me too :D

When I was overseas apparently Andy sat at the front door for the first 4 or 5 days waiting for me. Eventually they all settled but the moment I walked in the door they were all over me as if Mum didn't exist - poor Mum!! :D

I must admit I doubt I'll go away for quite so long again - I miss them too badly and I don't sleep well without the soothing noise of Mac snoring! :) ;)

Oh, I wake up if I can't hear Grumpy snoring and Mini sighing in their sleep. :)

We're a pair of tragics!! :) :)

Me too ;)

When I was overseas apparently Andy sat at the front door for the first 4 or 5 days waiting for me. Eventually they all settled but the moment I walked in the door they were all over me as if Mum didn't exist - poor Mum!! :rofl:

I must admit I doubt I'll go away for quite so long again - I miss them too badly and I don't sleep well without the soothing noise of Mac snoring! :D :hug:

Oh, I wake up if I can't hear Grumpy snoring and Mini sighing in their sleep. :D

We have a Kelpie X, so there is no question whether she goes or not. She spends most of the time in the car waiting for someone to be going somewhere anyway.

I have noticed that whenever anyone recommends a place to stay, Stayz or take-a-break was always bought up, we found a place through this site and it was really good. We got talking to the owner and he told us that he charges $15 more per night for stayz and take-a-break booking as that is what they charge per night for a booking through them on top of there yearly fee and most of the places in the district did the same, so if you like the look of somewhere on stayz, don't send off an inquiry through them as that commits them to charge you the extra booking fee, Just Google the name and go straight to their website, it could save you quite a bit of money. There are alot of great places on this site and holidaying with dog both have direct links to the propertys web pages , so you can get the best deal.

Thats a good idea!

The place we recently stayed in is managed by a RE agent. They have a huge amount of holiday listings so I'm planning on looking through them & booking direct next time.

I think you do have to book well in advance to get the good places. If they are good, you are competing with returning visitors. I'm going to look to book for next Jan soon- it will allow me to save without pain & get the best place (we will be downsizing to just our family hopefully)

We don't really holiday :)

If we go for a weekend away it is always for a show, and we have a pet sitter for the ones who don't go. Part of the reason for the pet sitter is that we don't vaccinate after the 1 year booster so our oldies don't have the bits of paper you need to put them in kennels. I think the pet sitter is also better for home security.

The one time we did have to put them in kennels was when we went overseas to a relative's wedding and they were all vacc'd for that. Any relief at not having to do walks/poo pickup/feeding etc was outweighed by worry about how they were doing.

I have never been able to afford - or at least, never prioritised - spending on the cocktails by the pool pampering style holidays, and i guess what you've not had you don't miss. Like other colleagues with children tho', I do sometimes enjoy travel for work at least as far as the quiet hotel room is concerned. Again tho', I tend to miss the dogs.

I travel a lot for work too, so I already get too much time away from them for my preference. And a cocktails by the pool type holiday would seriously bore me to tears. I've taken overseas holidays without them, and travelled interstate for family reasons without them, but mostly if I am travelling and it's not for work they come along.

Edited by Diva

My last holiday was a driving holiday last Christmas, it was scortching hot and no way we would have taken the three dogs in the back of the ute - plus while in Tassie we went into way too many National Parks, we would have had to put them into boarding just about every day anyway!

Next holiday is to Samoa and apart from it being totally not possible to take them, one of the islands is a dog free area.

when we take the kids...we take the dogs for a beach holiday

but when we travel o/s the dogs are obviously left with some of our older kids to look after

when OH and i go away for a weekend by ourselves we also never take the dogs...again the kids take charge

I holiday both with and without the westies - last year I had just over three weeks overseas without them and I think I pined for them worse than they pined for me (at least they had my Mum) :o I was really quite pathetic - mooning over their pictures most days!

When I went overseas in 2003 for three weeks, I rang every day to see how my dog was. Mum would say, 'He's fine, he's fine.' My sister rang me and said flatly, 'They can't even mention your name to him because he goes looking for you.'

:) Me too, I suffer separation anxiety.

We have not had a 'holiday' since 1986.

We did spend time driving to darwin and back when we lived there for a year. had a ball on both trips, even thought he way there it was below freezing at night, and the way back up to 48 degrees during the day ;)

4 cats 2 dogs, no problems staying anywhere at all. we bought a caravan for the journeys and sold it when we returned.

I really want to go OS this or next year, so I will have to try and be less anxious. My girlchild and her OH can look after the animals. I freak out even if they take the dogs for a run. (and they are late 20s...!! people that age have kids for gods sake!1 and she is a wildlife scientist/vet tech and he is a nurse..)

WHen I was working, I came home every 3 or 4 hours every day... :laugh:

I dont even spend a night away if I can help it, we do brisbane in a day trip. friends say to me, just stay!! have fun!! but it isn't fun for me. :eek:

we cannot mention our sons name at all (he is in the navy), Monah goes into FIND mode and really suffers when she cannot find him..

Truly pathetic, glad I have company!! ;) :eek:

Edited by Monah

I have not had a "holiday" for years without it including dogs in some way or another whether my own or someone else's. My next official holiday is in early 2012 to Western Australia for a couple of weeks. No the dogs are not coming I will be getting a house sitter for that one.

As for other quick weekend get aways sometimes I will get friends to drop in and see the dogs or I just take them with me I generally stay with family and friends so they are welcomed but it is not a particularly relaxing time with the dogs along.