Why Don't You Holiday With Your Dog?

dee lee

I dont think I would find a place that would take 5 border collies!!!!!

Actually I am going away in March and usually my mum comes and house/dog/cat/sheep/horse sits but she is coming with us, so need to try and find someone to come and stay and look after them all!!!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

our weekends away are usually for an event, ie concert, and we do it as cheap as we can so that rules out taking dogs with us or we stay with friends who have cats

our yearly holidays have been in a timeshare so no pets allowed there either and our OS trip you obviously can't bring dogs on!

I'd love to take the dogs to the beach, but bf is really worried about ticks

I'm in the don't holiday camp. There is always so much to do here and here is so nice that I tend to have hols at home. I thought about it at Xmas time but any of the places I could have taken the dogs wouldn't have been much more holiday then being at home.

One dog to take away would be a heap less stress then 3 too. Mine are really well behaved but it is still a bit of a military operation!

We try and take our dogs with us whenever possible. Just came back from a trip overseas so naturally we couldn't take them along, but normally if we're driving to our holiday destination.. we stay somewhere that is pet friendly.

i fear that the holiday world is not as yet ready for me to arrive with all six maremmas in tow.. i would love to holiday with them but i am yet to be convinced that the majority of the polulation understand how i can indulgently coo as these huge furry creature shed their fur allover the place, ignore fur filled cappucino, or fur encrusted ceasar salad... LOL..

then we need to address the effects of a water soaked maremma ( and multiply by 6)....

H

I've just been on "holidays", "tour de rellies" would be more accurate. Took dog with us. Most awkward moment was having lunch with two ancient aunties in country town pup. Parked dog in her crate, outside under a tree in the shade, where I could see her from my table. All good. Well she did schmooze a few of the locals but none of them opened the crate. And she did not bark her head off for the duration - wow.

All the rest of the time she stayed with me pretty much. And seduced several cousins into allowing dog into their "no dogs allowed inside" houses. And she got sniffed by a pet sheep. Did not enjoy that much. And she barked at the bull that had been put in a house pen because he'd been fighting with the other bulls. I think if a bull could laugh - he did. And she stayed on the safe side of the fence.

Other holidays - involved long plane rides and quarantine - found nice boarding kennel for her to stay instead.

Because my dog is part of my life - he is not my life.

I holiday without him because I want exactly that - a break from my usual routines and obligations. Add to that I usually head overseas or interstate when I have a holiday and for interstate travel, flying is not an option.

Also - I can't be arsed with the logistics of worrying about a dog in a strange property and leaving it alone so I can do things I want to do. Unfortunately it is not as easy with a giant dog compared to a small breed - no stashing them under cafe tables etc

He has a ball at Pax's kennels in my absence.

My holidays have always included the dogs, big and/or small. I love caravaning and camping. Caravaned to Darwin twice, Queensland, South Aussie and most of NSW. I generally just find a good spot to pull up over at night and we have found some great bush walks although we have had a couple of surprises on some walks. :laugh:

I holiday both with and without the westies - last year I had just over three weeks overseas without them and I think I pined for them worse than they pined for me (at least they had my Mum) :laugh: I was really quite pathetic - mooning over their pictures most days!

For quick breaks I have a couple of marvellous dog-friendly self contained b and bs that I escape to - and we all have such a lovely time. The next one is in May with friends and two other westies - so five in total - six if you count the b and b owners westie too! A beautiful house in the Adelaide Hills - only 35 minutes form home yet it feels like I've really gone away.

There are plenty of dog-friendly places on Take a break and Stayz - although I find Take a Break much easier to use.

And Bub although self catering and not five star, I take a couple of pre-prepared meals and with the breaky provided, its still pretty easy and relaxing - and the westies just loooove lazing around with me as a captive audience all weekend - so for me its worth it.

Holiday, what's a holiday, oh I think I might have had one of those about 10 years ago. If you emigrate and leave family behind at the other side of the world "holidays" are taken up with vast amounts of time and money on planes going out of your mind with boredom to visit family left behind. Bad enough I have to do 24 hours on a plane let alone my poor boy (even if it were that easy with quarantine etc wouldnt dream of putting him through it).

Can't remember when I actually last had a relaxing holiday. I did go and visit Warley once though and her many beautiful dogs. :) she didn't mind me bringing my boy.

Last time we went o a holiday was to QLD for 5 days. We had a friend come and feed them each day.

Before that.. (three years ago now) we went to Vanuatu and the dogs stayed at my mum's place (she loved them there) and the birds at my partner's mum's place. I think now we have a few extra pets we would have to get a house sitter in if we went away again... no problem for me, i'm not plannnig to go away for more than a weekend until an overseas wedding in 2012!

Holiday, what's a holiday, oh I think I might have had one of those about 10 years ago. If you emigrate and leave family behind at the other side of the world "holidays" are taken up with vast amounts of time and money on planes going out of your mind with boredom to visit family left behind. Bad enough I have to do 24 hours on a plane let alone my poor boy (even if it were that easy with quarantine etc wouldnt dream of putting him through it).

Can't remember when I actually last had a relaxing holiday. I did go and visit Warley once though and her many beautiful dogs. :) she didn't mind me bringing my boy.

we'll have new kennels soon, so he might be able to stay with us. Still no room in the house but we can cater for the dog lovers dog, just not the dog lover :D

I can so relate to this! Went back to the UK for the first time in 8 yrs. Apart from my UKtrip in 2002, I had another holiday in 2003 and that had been the last time I'd had a holiday away from home. Get old and sick dogs and more than 1 dog and life becomes nigh impossible.

Even my recent trip ended up being very angst ridden, 1 dog passed away just before I left and I was let down by 3 lots of people who were taking my dogs, all just before I went (had a mixture of friends/dog minders lined up). It really is enough to put me off having another holiday until they've all gone. :D

I did try and rent somewhere dog friendly early last year but because I wanted to take 2 or 3 dogs, the people were not at all happy so we didn't go. Seems it's OK with 1 dog.

We have children and will spend quite a few days at theme parks etc. Unfortunately Australia do not cater for dogs at those places (You will be interested to know that at LegoLand in the UK, there is a kennel you can book your dog into WHILE you are at LegoLand, its on the property - How cool is that!!!). Additionally flying 4 rottweilers to QLD is NOT an option *LOL* and I dont want to drive there.

I try and mix up our holidays a bit when we go as a family to Newcastle for a show - I go to the show with our daughter and hubby and son spend time together fishing (its a holiday for them). We stay an extra few days after the show and its quite nice.

We also go to O/S on some of our holidays and well we cant take the dogs to US or Europe as I am not quarantining them.

In a perfect world I would like to take them with me but its not a perfect world and they cant come all the time.

Holidaying within the state - would do my best to take them with me.

But I'm going to Africa!! No way can they come because having known someone just going through the importing/exporting of her dog to where she will be living it would mean my gils need to stay away from me for many months before being allowed back in the country!! Ok so it was never really an option to take them (even though they are the only reason making me dread going away - excited about everything except leaving them for 7 weeks!).

But it is hard to find places that are truely pet friendly (my definition of this is that the pets are allowed to live as they would live at home) and that are reasonably priced. know there are places out there, just not enough of them!!! And I'm also a camper, again caravan parks hit and miss and so many of the really lovely parks to camp in are no dogs.

I haven't been on a holiday for years, I went to Noosa north shore a couple of times with the horses it was lovely the second time I took my chi but now you aren't allowed to take dogs. In fact most of the beach type holidays where you are allowed to take your horse you can't take your dog which I thought was quite odd since most horsey people have dogs, they do the same at events now I hate it because it's a real hassle trying to find someone to look after all the animals.

Funnily enough I can find people to look after the chi and the horses but no one wants to look after the husky :) :D

I have to go away for four days for work in a couple of weeks and I'm stressing about leaving the animals, I read horror stories about boarding and so that is out, no way can I relax and enjoy myself without them.