Can A Male Dog Wear Purple Collars?

Bubitty

I wouldn't say it upsets me as such if someone just happens to automatically call him a girl as I know that sometimes when you first meet a dog it isn't always obvious, though it does annoy me slightly when I correct someone and they continue to call him a girl, repeatedly. There have been a few occasions where I've been talking to people about him and they'll ask questions about him so I'll respond in such a way that states his gender "He's 6 months old" "Thanks, we really like him too." etc. etc and they'll continue to respond by calling him female.

That's just people not listening, like people not reading a sign telling them to pick up their dog's poo in the dog park. sometimes you just need to smack them over the head and say HE'S A BOY!!! but if I were you I'd just take it as a compliment that they think your dog is pretty. Everyone loves a pretty dog.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL@ Raz, that is pure gold "Why did you call a girl Mister Moo?" :laugh:

It was just hilarious how embarrassed she was and thought she had to apologise to him. He doesnt care. I called him a filthy bastard yesterday for rolling in tawny frog mouth shit and he responded by looking really proud of himself.

I remember that, Mish looked SO proud of himself in the photos you took. I cracked up laughing, I love a dog with character! He did look very pretty though.

I remember that too and thought it was hysterical :bottom:

No one laughed as hard as I did when I went to pick him up and they walked him out. And then he was in the back of my car on the drive home, he kept popping his head up so I could see him and his Big Pink Ribbon in my rear view mirror, I was in tears from laughing so hard by the time I got home.

And he was SO pleased to pose for pics, there is a reason we call him Derek Zoolander :laugh: :laugh:

I reckon a nice deep cherry red would look good. I have sable coloured dogs - red looks really good on them. (As does natural coloured leather, tan leather, deep orange and pink - all the warm colours)

I must be a baaad dog owner - I have a black check chain on a black dog.

I love a black on a black dog. Still think it is the best look on the belgian shepherds at shows - black check chain, black lead.

OT...
(the groomer thought poor Mish was a girl - I LOL'ed so hard, but I think it suits him :bottom: )

The groomer thought your dog was a girl even AFTER grooming him? Did they miss something????

:laugh:

Almost as good as the judge who told a sheltie exhibitor 'this dog isn't entire' - ('she is a bitch, sir').

and then went on and told the next exhibitor in the class the same thing!! :laugh:

My dog wears a purple collar and is frequently mistook for male. She even rolls over and spreads her legs and people still call her a "he".

So I think it's going to make stuff all difference what colour collar the dog has. I think a royal blue or cobalt blue would look good with honey / gold lab colours. But so does purple and the blue-greens and some reds.

It's pretty bad when a show judge can't tell the difference between a male and female.

Yeah, a certain coloured collar may not help the gender ID situation. Everyone assumes Tonka is a girl at first because he is pretty :laugh: Angel must be pretty too!!

Is Tonka the one in your avatar? I concur - very pretty!

OT question - do people get upset if someone thinks your dog is a bitch? Like if you have a fluffy so it's not apparent and someone says what a pretty girl, does it make you cranky?

No, it doesn't worry me at all. When I got him I felt like such a dill as I kept saying "Good girl" the first day or so myself :laugh: so I just accept he looks feminine to people generally.

When I got him I felt like such a dill as I kept saying "Good girl" the first day or so myself :laugh: so I just accept he looks feminine to people generally.

:laugh::rofl::rofl:

He's really lovely. You must have a problem with people picking him up and cuddling him. I'd probably pick him up, stick him in my pocket and walk home with him

Darcy is pretty enough as it is without having a feminine collar, I don't think anyone correctly guessed his sex when he was growing up and even when he matured and looked too masculine to be a girl! Poor boy was very gender confused :laugh:

So he can't wear purple, he is always in blue or green. I am glad I have a girl now as I can buy pink and purple things for her.

Here's Alfie in his manly purple collar.

post-35855-1296386569_thumb.jpg

oh how gorgeous!

I am a bit dissappointed when people think my dogs are the wrong gender. Simply because it has been drilled into me by my breeder that the boys should have certain features and the girls should look a certain way. So when someone thinks Bitty is a boy I think "Oh nooooo!!! I wonder if its cuz her muzzle looks manly!" :thumbsup:

My dog wears a purple collar and is frequently mistook for male. She even rolls over and spreads her legs and people still call her a "he".

Akira is the same. She wears purple too and I always get told that "he is such a good looking dog". :thumbsup:

Halo will get the same thing, I'm sure. She will wear green when she's a bit bigger.

James would look much too girly in a purple collar. Currently he's in black but he's cuter in red :laugh: He gets mistaken for a girl enough as it is. Despite the bloody great big balls between his legs! And even after introducing him as James. Although one woman who did actually get his gender right then proceeded to start calling him Jimmy :thumbsup: Can't win.

I am a bit dissappointed when people think my dogs are the wrong gender. Simply because it has been drilled into me by my breeder that the boys should have certain features and the girls should look a certain way. So when someone thinks Bitty is a boy I think "Oh nooooo!!! I wonder if its cuz her muzzle looks manly!" :thumbsup:

Would you think the person was mean for calling Bitty a boy, though? What about if someone said Bitty was stupid - would that upset you? I went to a family lunch recently and my uncle said Pancake is really ugly. I responded with, she's even dumber than she is ugly :laugh: He's a dog owner and couldnt believe I wasnt upset by the comment. Why would I be - Pancake doesnt know how dumb or ugly she is so the comment wont upset her.

Would you think the person was mean for calling Bitty a boy, though? What about if someone said Bitty was stupid - would that upset you? I went to a family lunch recently and my uncle said Pancake is really ugly. I responded with, she's even dumber than she is ugly :laugh: He's a dog owner and couldnt believe I wasnt upset by the comment. Why would I be - Pancake doesnt know how dumb or ugly she is so the comment wont upset her.

No, if they think she’s a boy, they think she’s a boy! It’s not their fault if she happens to look like a boy to them!

If they said she was ugly or stupid, I would be more annoyed that they are a rude git for daring to say such a thing in front of ME. Regardless of whether she is stupid or ugly it’s just rude to say so in front of a doting owner!

If they said she was ugly or stupid, I would be more annoyed that they are a rude git for daring to say such a thing in front of ME. Regardless of whether she is stupid or ugly it’s just rude to say so in front of a doting owner!

Fair enough. It is pretty rude but when my uncle who worships his little bichon said it to me i just thought it was funny. I then told him he was a big girl for having a sweet white fluffy :thumbsup: . It was just all fun banter (he really does think Pancake is ugly, though) and he's a prof of psychiatry so i think he was just trying to see how doting I am as a dog owner