Can A Male Dog Wear Purple Collars?

Bubitty

I am not one for dressing dogs .... BUT I love Hamlet's Woofstock Collar :) When I had Kieran .. a very large brindle 'roo dog' type beast.. I took him to town a lot ,and in shops etc. To help ..I bought him a bright red collar, and painted bones etc on it in bright colours. I hung a large stainless steel teddybear on the collar, too ...The opposite of the black leather/studded collar ;) It worked a treat! Folks looked at the happy bright collar ... and saw the large brindle dog in a different light :o

Collars can say a lot !!

Collars on dogs can give an impression of owners - is the collar a flimsy thing- just for show? is it a sturdy serviceable oiled leather? Is it one which suits the breed? Is the collar and leash a set..or just something grabbed in a hurry ? Is the collar tattered and well worn? Is the collar a length of chain, maybe, or an old belt, refurbished?

They all have a message ;)

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't get the fancy collar, dressing dogs up thing at all. To me collars need to be practical and comfortable for walking the dog. Mine never wear them at home so they only serve the purpose of a safely device and I prefer them as inconspicuous as possible, so preferably the same colour as the dog, so you notice the dog not the collar. Same goes for the current trend for bling show leads. Why bring attention to a lead when it is the dog you are showing? Just doesn't make sense to me at all. :)

I think a pretty collar can enhance a dog's look. For instance Bitty looks lovely in various shades of pink. It just goes very well with her fur. Mine don't wear collars at home either but I think its nice to go for a walk in different collars cuz it gets dull seeing them in the same one all the time. Plus some people just like pretty trinkets! Collars give me another thing to shop for. Its harmless and fun! :o

It is fun and there is nothing wrong with wanting your dog to look nice imo!

You do know the dog won't give a toss what colour his collar is. ;)

Sorry, but this has to be the dumbest question ever asked on here.

The DOL forum is a social network for meeting people, making friends and developing relationships.

And, you???

Not my cup of tea really but if I even get off this Island I swear I will make at least one friend.

"Hey! Friday! Who ate all the Paw Paws? Just wait 'til I get my hands on you, you (*#*$#." :o

Politics. I hate politics. Don't vote for me! :)

Pers - whats the message sent by the stafford owner who has the dog in thick black leather harness and collar/lead set with lots of brass on? Small dog walking well at heel, so not needing so much leather work!

I am a collar and leash addict. I can't go past a stand of pretty collars and leashes without at least stopping to browse. I love having nice sets for my dogs, even though they don't wear collars at home.

One day I bought a new leash for Dusty, it was a beautiful bright red, chunky round style and she wore it with a double strand chrome plated limited slip collar (Bub, you need to look into these, they are like jewellery for dogs, awesome!) We were going to a graduation day at our obedience club and Isaak was wearing his matching double strand chrome plated limited slip collar but he didn't have a red leash, his was brown leather. I thought "Well, that looks dumb, two lovely black tri dogs all nice and brushed and shiny ready for their go in the obedience ring, and they don't match!"

So we stopped at Petstock on the way (which was actually WAY out of my way) and bought him a red leash to match Dusty's.

And I thought they looked awesome.

And they both came home with medals and ribbons having both won their classes.

Pers - whats the message sent by the stafford owner who has the dog in thick black leather harness and collar/lead set with lots of brass on?

Dunno - Perhaps they were a draught horse driver in a previous life? :o

but I bet the dog was gleaming and shiny, too! :) Would have looked lovely , I think!

I'm voting for dark green for Bubby :)

My sable border collie caused me a bit of angst with her lead collar. Everything seemed to clash with her coat :o Got a dark rusty orange lead in the end that looks nice.

Just thought of this option for Bubby - denim & red! http://www.doog.com.au/process/shop/produc...ml?itemId=28914 You can buy the matching bum bag!!! You might like their brown & pink spotted collar too.

Pers - whats the message sent by the stafford owner who has the dog in thick black leather harness and collar/lead set with lots of brass on? Small dog walking well at heel, so not needing so much leather work!

Haha not Pers, but I'd be inclined to think that a well dressed dog walking nicely at heel (and on leash!) sends a message of a proud owner and a well trained dog - who happens to like leather a lot :o

I see waaayyyy too many bogans with "staffies", most of them on ropes, straining into check chain, or no leash at all cos "yeah she's right mate". I think I'd be quite happy to see a nice, well behaved stafford in practical leather :)

My dogs all have matching collar & leads for going on walks (they don't wear collars & leads while at home )

Bailey has a brown collar with matching lead, Jasper has a blue collar with brown paw prints,(I think its a rogz collar) Brandy wears purple & Jessie has pink. ;) with my first litter last year I included Rogz puppy collar & leads in with their puppy packs, one little girl got purple & the other little girl got pink, all the boys got either a brown with a black paws pattern or blue with a brown paws pattern. ;)

While neither of my male dogs wear purple, I don't think there is anything wrong with it,I just love the colour...

I used to own a grey horse (Arab gelding) & I was completely obsessed with dressing him in purple, purple weethabeeta rugs,with matching neck rugs (summer & winter) purple halter with matching lead rope, purple bridle & saddle cloth. :) He looked fantastic in it, I now have a liver chestnut QH & purple doesn't look as good on him, ;) but the colour does look fantastic on my hubbies black standardbred gelding. :o

when you've got a shorthaired dog they can wear any colour - gender is not confusing :o ;) ;)

:) I dunno, everyone thinks Angel's a boy if she's not wearing a girly collar!

poor Angel ... no-one ever mistakes my two boys for girls .... its kinda in-your-face ;)

My female dog wears a dark blue collar and a light blue harness and dark blue lead, and my male puppy used to have a blue puppy collar, but now he has a burgundy collar, which kind of borders on purple, with a purple lead.

It's actually pet peeve of mine to thoroughly define genders of babies and pets using colour, all baby girls must wear pink and all baby boys must wear baby blue, and same with our pets for some reason. I happen to not like pink, but blue is my favourite colour. If I have a baby girl, she will wear baby blue.

Some people think my poodle x is a male due to the blue collar, harness and lead, but so what. I like the colour and she doesn't care what people think. My future baby won't care what people think either, and I will not have her brainwashed into thinking that everything she owns must be pink because she's a girl.

I'm voting for dark green for Bubby :rainbowbridge:

My sable border collie caused me a bit of angst with her lead collar. Everything seemed to clash with her coat :hug: Got a dark rusty orange lead in the end that looks nice.

Just thought of this option for Bubby - denim & red! http://www.doog.com.au/process/shop/produc...ml?itemId=28914 You can buy the matching bum bag!!! You might like their brown & pink spotted collar too.

ohhh that is a VERY VERY handsome looking collar!!! I like! :p

I must admit, I am really fussy about my collars and leads. I like plain, well made leather on both my dogs, boy or girl. I did get Daisy a really nice Ruthless Leather collar, and I think it is awesome for a more 'dressy' collar;

18574_235067188243_547258243_328964.jpg

But that's not to say boys can't also have pink or purple accessories :laugh:

hair4.jpg

(the groomer thought poor Mish was a girl - I LOL'ed so hard, but I think it suits him :laugh:)