Showing A Bitch In Season

Hunterhound

Just curious how many people show their bitches in season? My girl will be day 21 on Sunday and I'm not sure whether to scratch or exhibit. She only has 2 points to get her title, so it is possible she may achieve it this weekend! I'm in two minds???

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont mind showing at the start of season or the end.. but i do keep her away off the ground from other dogs and i respect others and let them know...

I showed my bitch when she needed one point when she started her season.. Each to their own i say...

Edited by TeamSnag

I've always shown mine. I make sure I tell the people I'm gazebo-ing with that she's in and don't stick her in other exhibitors dogs faces.

Hahahah I missed reading the 'dogs' in the last part of that sentence and had some highly amusing visuals before I read it correctly.

I have shown mine, when it is as hard to get to shows as it is for me I go. It takes quite a few months of planning and if they happen to come in early or late and come into season I am not cancelling.

Having said that I toilet them well away and don't line them up under any dogs noses. I have in the past been asked if I minded someone walking their male a little closer (not really close though) as he was a bit flat. Perked him up and he showed really well and got reserve challenge :laugh:

One of my personal hates is people showing bitchs that are right in, I might as well leave my male at home but at day 21 she shouldn't be attracting dog interest much anymore. I would spray her up, keep her well away from the other dogs and just bring her to ringside as needed.

I typically scratch, but have exhibited when travel was involved. E.g. Last year at our breed speciality, my bitch was in season and I exhibited as it's a 16 hour trip each way... So not something I was going to miss out on!

Not something I would recommend as the cervix is slightly open and chances of picking up an infection at a dog show are much higher than if she was kept at home. I wouldn't be taking her to a dog park or anything like that while she was in season for much the same reasons.

Everyone has to assess the risk in their own way - 1 point off a title I would be tempted too! ;)

I started out by not showing her in season... but then she decided to come in on all the important ones - Royals, Nationals etc.

Last year and the year before she was in at the start, on the day of the royal - so i entered her anyway and we benched her between two girls - was no problem.

At the national last year, we travelled to Adelaide. She decided to come in earlier than she usually would, which just so happened to be about a week or so before the national. She was standing the day we arrived :eek: which was hard enough as we had travelled with a male! but it turns out, there were several who also had bitches in season that same weekend.

I wouldn't. I have heard some people on here saying before (can't remember who) that male dogs should be trained to ignore a bitch in season.... bullpoop. I keep mine away so I don't tick off other exhibitors and make their dogs sniff the ground around the ring and I would expect the same respect to be payed to me.

You can't train a dog to ignore a bitch in season, it's like putting a naked woman in front of a man and telling him not too look at her breasts.

Not to mention if i were a judge I wouldn't look highly on having bloody hands after going over a bitch.

I've shown my girl when she was coming in/going out of season, I kept her away from other exhibitors and let the judge know before they went over her that she was in season. Neither of them seemed to have a problem with it.

I'd do it again, She's an absolute tart when shes in though so it would just be a curtosy thing for me, warn other owners, and keep her away from other dogs!

Have and will show bitches in season. Frankly, my male is more difficult to handle when I have my period (he gets protective???) than if 'his' bitches or any others are in season. If the bitch was cramping or otherwise not up to it, I'd scratch but I don't see the point in scratching an otherwise happy bitch.

Tell the judge and other exhibitors however, and keep the bitch locked in a PP40 and only brief toilet breaks away from others.

Have shown once in full season - at our specialty and she was on fire that weekend. Even managed to win Brace class paired with my male! She is a happy in-seasoner (pity she loses her coat a few weeks before). I wouldn't however be so likely to show a fully in season bitch outdoors. Indoors you can see where any blood drops and can disinfect the area etc. I also carry a few baby wipes in my pocket whilst in the ring so I can wipe her, the floor or the table if required.

The only time I will show a bitch in season is at our specialty shows. As an owner of a stud dog, I hate it when somebody walks past my dog and their girl is in season. He picks up on it and won't settle, made him very hard to show. I think it is inconsiderate of other people to show a bitch in season. Oh, with our specialties the bitches are shown on a different day to our males.

Everyone has to assess the risk in their own way - 1 point off a title I would be tempted too! :)

My bitch is one point off her title and she came into season on the 1st December. We had a show on the 4th December and I showed her, but she was very flat and lack lustre. Tail down... I wish I had of just stayed home.

I was told by judges and exhibitors in our breed to just let the judge know that the bitch is in season. I think without telling him and the obvious signs of blood, you could tell anyway because she looked very depressed. I also told the other exhibitors and kept her away from the other dogs.

She's had a season, had a big break through christmas/new year and showed amazingly last weekend, but alas, that 1 point is still standing! :)

Good luck getting that last point! :)

Edited by ~Erin~