What's Wrong About Giving Dogs Human Names?

W Sibs

Storm and Banjo

There are people with those names too!! :thumbsup:

There are 'human names' I now think of as 'dog names' and think it's odd when I hear of a person with that name. My nephew is named Toby, and to me that is a dog name!! :D

Name your dogs how you like. I still love my old boys name and if the highly unlikely event that I have a male baby, I would still consider it for the baby!! The kid should be flattered :D

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The most popular girl's name after a particular movie came out was the name of an elf so good grief, if people can name their child after a fictional character, you can name your dogs Emmy and Charlie if you want.

They're great names. I think the couple in the waiting room were just downright rude.

My Whippets will always have out of style, old fashioned English names. Next one might be Nigel or Rodney. That said I have a coworker named Howard sitting right next to me :thumbsup:

ETA: I'm a bit of a Pride and Prejudice fan (loved it with Zombies) so Bingley might be good too.

Then I can sing "I like Bing Ley..... "

:D

Edited by poodlefan

gosh people who judge what you name your dogs really just need to get a life :thumbsup:

We've always had a mixture, and never thought anything of it.

P.S I have picked out at least 3 names for my next dogs... and they are all human names!

Edited by SparkyTansy

The most popular girl's name after a particular movie came out was the name of an elf so good grief, if people can name their child after a fictional character, you can name your dogs Emmy and Charlie if you want.

They're great names. I think the couple in the waiting room were just downright rude.

They were rude!! When they made that comment, my first thing that came out of my mouth was 'Well, that was rude, wasn't it?'

Made them shut up.

Name them what you like I say.

Whilst on the subject of names, why do some parents name their human kids horrible made up names?

They want their kids to have unique and one of a kind names. My friend is like this, I can't pronounce their kids name nor spell it.

My Whippets will always have out of style, old fashioned English names. Next one might be Nigel or Rodney. That said I have a coworker named Howard sitting right next to me :thumbsup:

I really like old fashion English name too!!. I love the name Howard (Howie) but I haven't got a dog that suit that name. Yet.

Three out of my four cats have human names.

Alchemy and Yngvie are both human names and Lestat more then likely is now thanks to Anne Rice and vampire lovers everywhere, not too sure about Mistral though, but it could happen.

Not too sure about the new boys name however

All my childhood pets had human names.

There is nothing wrong with it, you keep naming your pets what ever you want CW EW, I think they are very cute names :thumbsup:

Edited by Bjelkier

I get the strangest reactions to James' name. People always look taken aback, then pause, and, almost without fail, then repeat it in a tone suggesting that they're trying to wrap their head around it. It's very predictable and absolutely hilarious to watch. Many also feel compelled to add a title - Lord James (this one is surprisingly common), Sir James, etc.

His full name is James Barnabas Surname.

I'll keep using "human" names on my pets as long as humans keep using made-up, misspelt and cross-gender names on their children :thumbsup:

They were rude!! When they made that comment, my first thing that came out of my mouth was 'Well, that was rude, wasn't it?'

Made them shut up.

When people have a dig at me for my dog's name (Pancake) I just stare at them and say - well she was born as flat as a pancake and almost died! Shuts them up real fast :thumbsup:

I had a rooster named after a randy old politician and a chook named after a prostitute. My animals so I'll name them whatever I want. Besides it really suited them because they were always at it.

Made them shut up.

When people have a dig at me for my dog's name (Pancake) I just stare at them and say - well she was born as flat as a pancake and almost died! Shuts them up real fast :thumbsup:

I had a rooster named after a randy old politician and a chook named after a prostitute. My animals so I'll name them whatever I want. Besides it really suited them because they were always at it.

:D :D

My response to them would of been "up yer kilt" :thumbsup: :D

What rude people :D

Our only dog with a human name is our houseguest Fergus. Or Fearless Fergus (because he isn't) or Fergus the Fungus Face (because he has a stunning head).

We also have Bundy, Tikaani, Kamikaze and Kato.

My next girl will probably have a human name, I have four picked now to just narrow that down to one.

How rude of that couple at the vets! There is nothing wrong with calling a dog a human name....they are YOUR dogs you can pick whatever name you like, hell call it Nissan or Toyota if you like, shouldn't make a difference to anyone :D

I PERSONALLY dont think I could call a dog Leanne or Caroline though *LOL* but that's just me. Those are just 2 names I couldn't call a dog :D

:thumbsup: sorry to anyone here who has a Leanne or a Caroline :D

Edited by TrinaJ

You know.... Charlie is actually a very popular dog name. Every second or third dog I meet is name Charlie!

That's how the surname came in place.. I wanted to give him a unique sort of name and threw in the surname!

Made them shut up.

:D :D

Bill Clinton and Divine Brown? :D

I dint think my dogs have particularly human names, if humans are called Benson or Dusty I thi k it's because they've been given dogs names.

However I've been surprised by the number of kids called Isaak or Isaac since naming our youngest dog. We have a new dog coming, she currently has a very non-human name, from which we are removing one letter and it will then become a human name.

For no other reason than she is starting a new life and needs anew name and our revision of her current name sounds very much the same.

As long as a live I will never understand what drives people to name kids or dogs after convicted criminals, motor cycles or child murder victims. That rules out Tyson, Chopper, Harley and Jaiden. And FHRP is right - Ben, Sam and Toby ARE dog names!

Edited by poodlefan