What's Wrong About Giving Dogs Human Names?

W Sibs

So reading the Humanising dog thread... some people mention they won't give their dog human name. What's so bad/wrong with it?

My 2 have human names and I also gave them surnames too (but that was just for kicks and giggles and personal amusement).

Reason why I give my 2 human names is because... well, it suits them.

Emmy was named before I got her. Charlie was the first thought when I laid eyes on him.

Edited by CW EW

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing wrong with giving dogs (and any other animals for that matter) human names, is that one day your "never having kids" stance might change.....and you might find you've used all your favourite names on the pets, and your precious first born daughter might end up with the same name as the family rabbit :D :D :thumbsup: :D

(Mummy is very sorry Charlotte!!!)

Edited by Willow

My youngest 2 dogs got the baby names I really liked and never used. (Indi and Lyla)

I'd rather hear of dogs with human names than people named after fruit.

(It's also better than BIL naming his mastiff x Snatch - yes get a gutter mind and you are thinking correctly, this is a family with young kids :thumbsup: )

Just don't do what I did and use your favourite name on a dog, cos if you end up with a baby, it is rather annoying, heh.

Nothing wrong with it, mine have middle names too! Who is giving you a hard time about it? Family, friends?
Lately, I've been getting a hard time by it... so it's why I questioning it

From whom? Let me guess.. another of the "they're just dogs" brigade?

Ignore them.

Not from family and friends, Charlie and Emmy all considered as family now.

Poodlefan.. pretty much!! :thumbsup:

Sitting at the waiting room yesterday for Charlie's appointment... there was a couple there and we were talking, and their dogs name was Storm and Banjo, and I told them my dogs name. the lady's first reaction was 'oh, you're one of those small dog owner, aren't you?' and her partner was like 'why the hell do people give their dogs human names for?'

and her partner was like 'why the hell do people give their dogs human names for?'

Pfft. They're not human names - they're your two dogs' names. Just ignore. They've probably got a kid called Moon Unit or something. dont worry about it.

Sitting at the waiting room yesterday for Charlie's appointment... there was a couple there and we were talking, and their dogs name was Storm and Banjo, and I told them my dogs name. the lady's first reaction was 'oh, you're one of those small dog owner, aren't you?' and her partner was like 'why the hell do people give their dogs human names for?'

Hello? There are people called Storm. Ok, they're mostly soap opera characters or pole dancers but it is a human namne. Clearly they've never heard of Banjo Patterson either.

Units is right. :thumbsup:

Edited by poodlefan