What's Wrong About Giving Dogs Human Names?

W Sibs

I like to name my dogs after people I particularly admire, so Harrison (George Harrison) and Dylan (Bob Dylan). My absolute idol is Eric Clapton, but I couldn't name a dog either Eric or Clapton :thumbsup:

I would rather people gave their dogs human names than their children dogs names. I remember years ago when some friend named their baby Max & my ex told them "that's a Bull Terrier's name"!

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as a live I will never understand what drives people to nAme kids or dogs after convicts criminals, motor cycles or child murder victims. That rules out Tyson, Chopper, Harley and Jaiden. And FHRP is right - Ben, Sam and Toby ARE dog names!

I agree 100%

I worked with a guy once who's name was David Davidson, I am tipping you can all guess what their child was going to be called if it were a boy! Thank GOD the baby was a girl!

I remember years ago when some friend named their baby Max & my ex told them "that's a Bull Terrier's name"!

We have a funny problem in our block of houses. There's Molly a dog, Molly a cat, & Molly a woman. And on some holidays, Molly a child, comes to stay next door.

All of my animals have human names except the cat who is called Snickers (because all of my last cats have had chocolate themed names - Toblerone, Nestle and Cadbury) and my older female camel who was named before I got her and her name is Zippy. Well I guess she was a racing camel

Edited by casowner

Two of our cats have human names, but the remaining 5 cats and 2 dogs have non-human names. We didn't set out to name them one way or the other, we just picked whatever we liked at the time. I have previously also given goldfish human names, and I know other people who give their bettas human names.

They are just names, giving an animal a human name doesn't necessarily mean you are humanising them. There is nothing magical about names that are normally used for humans.

As long as a live I will never understand what drives people to name kids or dogs after convicted criminals, motor cycles or child murder victims. That rules out Tyson, Chopper, Harley and Jaiden. And FHRP is right - Ben, Sam and Toby ARE dog names!

I don't understand it either. :thumbsup:

I have a son call Jayden he was born 2 years prior the tragic death of Jaidyn Leskie, I would change his name if I could.

What idiots CW EW!!!!

They've probably got a kid called Moon Unit or something. dont worry about it.

:D That cracked me up!!!!!

We have a new dog coming, she currently has a very non-human name, from which we are removing one letter and it will then become a human name.

For no other reason than she is starting a new life and needs anew name and our revision of her current name sounds very much the same.

Sorry a bit OT - :D You're getting another family member?? :D

I don't think Lottie is a big human name, but I know of a Charlotte who is nicknamed Lottie (and was very excited when I said my dogs name was Lottie :thumbsup: ) - a few people have commented on if she was named after the footballer Lote Tuqiri!! I didn't even know who he was!! And I looked it up and it's acually prounced more like 'Loat' apparently!!

You know.... Charlie is actually a very popular dog name. Every second or third dog I meet is name Charlie!

Yep, Charlie is a popular dogs name, my GSP's sire is a Charlie :thumbsup: I love the name and although it has special meaning to me for humans and I'd personally never name a dog Charlie, I have no problem with other dogs being named Charlie! I know of several dogs with my own name, that is a little weird to me, but I don't have a problem with it.

Edited by FHRP

You know.... Charlie is actually a very popular dog name. Every second or third dog I meet is name Charlie!

Yep, Charlie is a popular dogs name, my GSP's sire is a Charlie :thumbsup: I love the name and although it has special meaning to me for humans and I'd persinally never name a dog Charlie, I have no problem with other dogs being named Charlie! I know of several dogs with my own name, that is a littler weird to me, but I don't have a problem with it.

There are dogs named FHRP?

I call my dogs what suits them - who says what is a dogs name and what is a persons name anyway. Sometimes I hear someones kids name and think 'thats a great dog name' :thumbsup:. We have Rhemy, Lexi, Darred, Charli :D, Ryder, Boo, Emme, Bella, Quinn, Jade & Groc :D. All suit their names or their names suit them.

Its a free country - well mostly. . .

:thumbsup: If I could be bothered starting a thread it would be 'If a dog was named after you, what breed would they be/characteristics would they have: based on name alone'

ie if my name was Shazza/Sharon, the dog would have to be a red heeler!

We have a client where I work who called her dog B**** just so that when the vet calls out it's B**** please. The lady does love her dog, just has a weird sense of humor lol

:thumbsup: Would have been better if it was Ewebich and the vet walked out and yelled EWEBICH!

I had a cat called Puddy once. Every animal since had had a "human" name. Brandy, Tara, Abbey, Zoe, Emma, Sam, Piper, Tatum, Molly, Fern, Miller, Magic who was called Madge more often than not, Tilley, Sophie, Sybil, Then there are Paige and Sita who don't live with me.

I had a cat called Puddy once. Every animal since had had a "human" name. Brandy, Tara, Abbey, Zoe, Emma, Sam, Piper, Tatum, Molly, Fern, Miller, Magic who was called Madge more often than not, Tilley, Sophie, Sybil, Then there are Paige and Sita who don't live with me.

When I was a little kid I had a cat called Puss. When I smacked the tin and called Puss Puss Puss for her dinner, every bloody cat in the neighbourhood turned up :thumbsup:

When I was a little kid I had a cat called Puss. When I smacked the tin and called Puss Puss Puss for her dinner, every bloody cat in the neighbourhood turned up :thumbsup:

:D I could never quite think of a suitable name. Puddy was supposed to be makeshift but it never went.