What's Wrong About Giving Dogs Human Names?

W Sibs

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We actually changed Dory's name from Dorrie, I liked the look of Dory better (sorry to whoever named her Dorrie). And then we tacked on an Abigail...actually I'm not quite sure where the Abigail came from. Probably cos Dory is often less than 'ladylike' and borders on butchy sometimes.

So she is Dory Abigail ....

I tend to pick names that suit my animals.

We have Benson and Georgie (Cockatiels)

and Oscar The Shark Slayer (aka Oscar) the cat.

I've had plenty of animals given people names and names that I pulled from nowhere. It is rather funny how people react.

I laugh (and cry) everytime someone asks me Dory's name. I tell them and then they say..."Well, He is a lovely dog, isn't he".

Yes SHE is.

I like my animal's names to be a little bit unusual. We've had Elley, Gus, Wissy Woo, Tea Brat, Sox, Taffy, Akira and Halo. Out of those, Akira is the only one that's a human name (it's a Japanese name), though I suppose Elley and Gus might possibly be too. OH feels the same way, and has had Shags and Cooby. However if my dog looked like a Charlie, he'd be named Charlie. I try to choose names that suit (and whatever anyone says, Halo's name DOES suit her!) and if a human name suits, so be it.

*snort* this thread has reminded me of a conversation I had with my ex.

He asked my what my animals names' were when I was a kid and I said 2 were named after characters in a movie, 1 was after a scottish prince and 1 was a word from another language meaning very small.

I asked him what his animals were called when he was growing up

Blackie, Brownie, Whitie and Tabby :thumbsup: :D :D

Edited by raz

I didn't used to like using human names on pets but now I do.

Particularily on working breeds I think it suits, Quinn was Quinn 4 years ago when I decided I wanted a BC, when I first met her on the way home Mum asked what I wanted to call her, I said I was thinking Quinn or maybe Monroe and she said Quinn suits, it really does.

There are some human names I'm saving for if I ever have kids, if I don't then I'll use them on pets later.

All our dogs names have gone like this.

Jack, Tussy, Martha, Sophie, Daisy, Buster, Mac, Harry, Quinn

And our cats have been.

Pie-Wacket, Billy, Panda, Elliot

whatever suits, suits

and her partner was like 'why the hell do people give their dogs human names for?'

Pfft. They're not human names - they're your two dogs' names. Just ignore. They've probably got a kid called Moon Unit or something. dont worry about it.

:D :D :D

Kei shares his name with a few of my sons school mates (surprisingly popular name!). I didn't really think about it being human, just short, sharp and appealing.

I met a boy around 6 years old not long ago who was holidaying on the river with his family. He ran up to me as I was walking my dog and cried "Is that a Rhodesian Ridgeback?!" when I told him it was he told me "Wow! I have a Ridgeback too called Milo! What's yours called?" when I said "Kei" the kid just about died of excitement "MY name is Kei too!!" :thumbsup:

Every time I passed that houseboat for the next week you could hear cries of "It's Kei, it's KEI!" coming from inside :D

If it wasn't so long, I'd love to call my next female dog Bernadette.

For a male, I'd love a Stanley. But all names, regardless of how much you like them, have to be bestowed upon the right dog. Or in other words, dogs have to have a name that suits them well.

Edit - ooops, left in some quote.

Edited by Henrietta

My Dogs name is 'Chase'........After the HOUSE character and also because I liked 'Chase the dog'.....suits him terribly well! I am suprised as to how many boys I have met with that name......I consider it to be a dog name.

I know someone who named her Cat 'Sifa Cat' hahaha

I have 2 favourite shows so my animals will be called after them. My next on which will hopefully be a girl, I shall call 'Tempe'........not too many ppl like it but its different!

I mostly name mine human names. One of our lakelands was called Basil, then we got a rescue swf who was in a real mess, so I called him Fawlty (as he was faulty!) but also love basil Fawlty..

had a few birds with names like Alesi, Prost etc. but cound never do Senna as he was/is the love of my life :D :thumbsup:

When I was growing up we got 3 cats together, 1 tonk and 2 siamese , they were Farley, Fabian and Eltrese.. seemed normal at the time, but now when I think of us calling the 3 of them... :D I wonder if people thought we were nuts.. :D

Could be worse CW....ignore the twits!

As a young child, we had Blackie and Sooty...(dog and cat)

When my mum was a child, they had a GSD called Nigger... try using that now :D :D He was so gorgeous too. :D

I really like Ethel and Hilda :cheer: lvoe all the Celtic names too, hence Roisin... :D Monah came named, but I like it and it suits her....moaner!!

How rude of that couple at the vets! There is nothing wrong with calling a dog a human name....they are YOUR dogs you can pick whatever name you like, hell call it Nissan or Toyota if you like, shouldn't make a difference to anyone :D

Our neighbours are HUGE Holden fans. Guess what their GSD is called? :thumbsup:

All of my animals have human names except the cat who is called Snickers (because all of my last cats have had chocolate themed names - Toblerone, Nestle and Cadbury) and my older female camel who was named before I got her and her name is Zippy. Well I guess she was a racing camel

We had a Snickers, he was a chocolate rescue from Vic. When I was growing up we had a cat called Maestro.

The rest of ours tend to have human names.

Bridget (already named), Lilly, Gracie, Poppy, Ruby, Holly (already named), Maizie (favourite dog name), Bree (suggested Breeze, shortened it) and the cat is Emmy. Most had middle names thanks to Dad!

Some of my favourite names for the future are non-human like Fizz and Shimmer. :D

What's a non-human name? I could call my baby, Furps. Hey presto! With one stroke on the Birth Registration form, Furps has become a human name.

There you go....anyone now wanting a human name...can have Furps. Don't rush all at once, tho'. :D

'What's in a name?' asked Shakespeare. 'A rose by any other name would smell the same.'

For our dogs we pick ancient deity names that relate somehow (no matter how obscure):

Java - another name for Vulcan, the patron deity of alchemy. His appearance was described as sooty (the dog is black)

Odin - Father of the Germanic Gods (the dog's dad was a German import)

Tlaloc - Aztec god of rain (the dog adores water in any form)

Rakim - Oceanic God of rainbows. When you combine all the colours of the rainbow, you get white (the dog is white)

Our two moray eels are called Rod (short for Goldenrod, a Star Wars reference - the eel is gold coloured) and the other eel is called Wade after an audience member at a stand-up comedian's show who was singled out in a segment on names for hunters.

I don't think it matters if the name is human or not, it's what it answers to that matters. You can bet your bottom dollar that if your dog has a dog name, at some point a celebrity will use it for their child.

Perry was originally called Peggy - a very unglamorous name for a very pretty dog. She was renamed Perry for her new life here and given a title - Dame Perignon. When we visit aged care homes she is always introduced by her full title and treated accordingly.

CWEW - tell them to rack off although I do love your response!

As long as the name is not a swear word or offensive I couldn't care less.

*******casts her mind back to the poor pup that came into work called Syph - yep after the STD!!*********

Anyway I personally quite like human sounding names, although OH doesn't and generally has more dog sounding names.

Mine have been Arizona, Angel (that was my dog name contribution), Natasha - came already named and I really didn't like it much at all, Rommi and Lewis - who came named but I love it.

OH's names - Zeus and Brutus.

Cats - Oscar, Arnie, Dennis, Chevy, Boris, Boo

I have found most animals name themselves to a degree, you look at them and some suit and some just don't no matter how much you like them.

I have a dog called Lewis and a son called Toby!!! Toby has become quite popular lately for a kids name, but I still know more dogs called Toby than kids!

Edited by OSoSwift

My animals are mainly named after TV characters- Mainly because we've had lots of animals over the years and I hate doubling up - but the name has to suit.

ATM in tv charcter names I have: 3 Calves - Jethro (NCIS), Callen (NCIS LA) and Lawson(Rush). 3 Dogs - Paige (Charmed), Diesal (Named After Diesel on Mcleods), 2 Mini Horses - Abby (NCIS), and Calleigh (CSI), Gosling - Elena (Vampire Diaries), then there is the birds - 1 budgie called Annie (Chase), the two ducks are called Harmony (Buffy) & Daisy (Chase). Then there's the galah - Santana (Satan for short) from Glee (and yes she is a b**** like her too lol)

Over the years I've covered most of the tv shows I watch lol