What's Wrong About Giving Dogs Human Names?

W Sibs

Nothing wrong with it, mine have middle names too! Who is giving you a hard time about it? Family, friends?
Lately, I've been getting a hard time by it... so it's why I questioning it

From whom? Let me guess.. another of the "they're just dogs" brigade?

Ignore them.

Not from family and friends, Charlie and Emmy all considered as family now.

Poodlefan.. pretty much!! :(

Sitting at the waiting room yesterday for Charlie's appointment... there was a couple there and we were talking, and their dogs name was Storm and Banjo, and I told them my dogs name. the lady's first reaction was 'oh, you're one of those small dog owner, aren't you?' and her partner was like 'why the hell do people give their dogs human names for?'

Just ignore idiots like that although giving them a piece of your mind would have made you feel better!

You know.... Charlie is actually a very popular dog name. Every second or third dog I meet is name Charlie!

That's how the surname came in place.. I wanted to give him a unique sort of name and threw in the surname!

We have lots of dogs come through our obedience school called Charlie

Stay tuned for more news.

:(

I think there is human names and then there is human names that could be dog names as well, mine for example, well Bronson was named after Charles Bronsons so he really has a surname. Cooper and Tully I don't think are terribly common among human folk, not that I ave come across anyhow. And Lacy well I have a girl at work who has a daughter called Lacy.

Real human names can be tricky, we have a girl at obedience whos name is Carol and her dog is Becky and for the life of me every time I look at them both I have to remind myself the dog is Becky and the lady is Carol, so confusing!!

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On that Your First Puppy show everyone hated so much, they went through the top 5 dog names in Australia, and from memory they were all human names.

Don't despair, human-named dog owners, you get some pretty strange reactions telling people your dog's name is Pudding as well!

The only thing wrong with giving dogs (and any other animals for that matter) human names, is that one day your "never having kids" stance might change.....and you might find you've used all your favourite names on the pets, and your precious first born daughter might end up with the same name as the family rabbit :):laugh::(:(

(Mummy is very sorry Charlotte!!!)

:( :(

Well at least my 'favourite' human names are ones which I don't think suit dogs :laugh:

But my latest pup has the most 'human' name I'd give a dog!! Tahlia!! LOL! I say name them what you like! I like all names, so long as they are different, or at least a little different!

I've had/ have a Taz, Rusty, Leo, Kinta, Zara and Tahlia (Tahli).

I have a bitch called a male human name ("Ronnie" after Ronnie Woods of the Rolling Stones), and a dog called "Bernard" after Bernard Black (Dylan Moran's character in Black Books).

Neither dogs cares what their name is, and their names suit them.

I also know an ex-boyfriend got an ugly bitch pup shortly after we broke up. He named her after me.

I got the last laugh because she grew up to be a stunning dog. :(

EFS

Edited by Elfin

We had a black & white cocker spanial named Tim. He was named by the kids after the dog in the Famous Five books. When Tim was about 7 yrs old they discovered it was a BC not a cocker and were so angry we didn't tell them.

Mmmmm perhaps that is why he had no recall and not that we had NO IDEA how to train a dog to do anything!

The most popular girl's name after a particular movie came out was the name of an elf so good grief, if people can name their child after a fictional character, you can name your dogs Emmy and Charlie if you want.

They're great names. I think the couple in the waiting room were just downright rude.

They were rude!! When they made that comment, my first thing that came out of my mouth was 'Well, that was rude, wasn't it?'

Made them shut up.

Name them what you like I say.

Whilst on the subject of names, why do some parents name their human kids horrible made up names?

They want their kids to have unique and one of a kind names. My friend is like this, I can't pronounce their kids name nor spell it.

My Whippets will always have out of style, old fashioned English names. Next one might be Nigel or Rodney. That said I have a coworker named Howard sitting right next to me :(

I really like old fashion English name too!!. I love the name Howard (Howie) but I haven't got a dog that suit that name. Yet.

:( :( :( Good onya CW EW.

They were rude!! When they made that comment, my first thing that came out of my mouth was 'Well, that was rude, wasn't it?'

Made them shut up.

When people have a dig at me for my dog's name (Pancake) I just stare at them and say - well she was born as flat as a pancake and almost died! Shuts them up real fast :(

I had a rooster named after a randy old politician and a chook named after a prostitute. My animals so I'll name them whatever I want. Besides it really suited them because they were always at it.

Real party stopper that one raz.

dunno if there is anything wrong about it;;

my dogs have been( not in order of appearance in my life):

Morris,

Sophie

Brian,

Jake,

Lucinda

Oscar,

margali

Angelina

Angel

grace

gina

Snotto

Lucky

Tuppence

Thunder

Dennys

Guiness McGuinness

Alex

Casper

so i think their names just sort of come and if they suit it sticks.. thats why snotto is still snotto... nothing else sticks LOL

My vet acutally puts my surname as the dog's surname. I think it is lovely, they are part of my family. I have not called them human or non human names, usually something out of a science fantasy book. As is my kennel name. Ashkevron means beloved from a science fantasty book.

I must admit when I was working in a boarding kennel, two collies came in with the names John and Bruce. At first I thought is was funny and strange but I soon got used to it and thought why not. There are no rules, it is whatever suits you.

Nothing wrong with it, mine have middle names too! Who is giving you a hard time about it? Family, friends?
Lately, I've been getting a hard time by it... so it's why I questioning it

From whom? Let me guess.. another of the "they're just dogs" brigade?

Ignore them.

Not from family and friends, Charlie and Emmy all considered as family now.

Poodlefan.. pretty much!! :(

Sitting at the waiting room yesterday for Charlie's appointment... there was a couple there and we were talking, and their dogs name was Storm and Banjo, and I told them my dogs name. the lady's first reaction was 'oh, you're one of those small dog owner, aren't you?' and her partner was like 'why the hell do people give their dogs human names for?'

Just ignore idiots like that although giving them a piece of your mind would have made you feel better!

You know.... Charlie is actually a very popular dog name. Every second or third dog I meet is name Charlie!

That's how the surname came in place.. I wanted to give him a unique sort of name and threw in the surname!

We have lots of dogs come through our obedience school called Charlie

Stay tuned for more news.

:(

I think there is human names and then there is human names that could be dog names as well, mine for example, well Bronson was named after Charles Bronsons so he really has a surname. Cooper and Tully I don't think are terribly common among human folk, not that I ave come across anyhow. And Lacy well I have a girl at work who has a daughter called Lacy.

Real human names can be tricky, we have a girl at obedience whos name is Carol and her dog is Becky and for the life of me every time I look at them both I have to remind myself the dog is Becky and the lady is Carol, so confusing!!

Cooper is a very common modern kids name.

I dont see anything wrong with it, i just dont like common human names. If i make another ID tag at work for a Molly, Ruby, Daisy etc though i think i may scream :(.

Edited by Clover

People can be jerks. Who cares what other people call their dogs?

I had planned for years beforehand to call our first dog Pickle... on the long drive home with her, OH convinced me that it didn't actually suit this pup. No idea how we got to Billie. Most people assume she is a boy.

I'm still on the hunt for a Pickle... :(

Edited by Sydoo

My first dog was a golden cocker and her name was Goldie. :( :( :(

One cat was called Fluffy. :(

Sally ,dashund.

Rusty, golden cocker.

Oscar, cat.

Cannot recall any more.

Mine dogs Chloe, Wilhelmina,Holly, Ruby, Cleopatra, and the new pup Darcy.

Cats have been Bilbo Baggins, wee black hobbit. :laugh: :laugh: :doh:

Kimiko, Siamese.

Rama and Cinta Burmese.

Mishka and her feral offspring Simba. :)

Oops forgot Zarah the white shep.

Edited by Bilbo Baggins

My first dog was a golden cocker and her name was Goldie. :( :( :(

My first childhood dog was a yellow lab and at the family discussion to choose her pet name, my mother's first order of business was to ban Goldie from the list of contenders. Said she certainly "didn't want to risk bloody Goldie ***** (an acquaintance of hers) turning up every time I call the dog in".

Stevie = our best man at our wedding, who gave her to us as a wedding gift. We often introduce her as 'Stephanie' because people assume she's male, because she's big and black. Also Stevie Nicks, because she's blonde inside (Lab x Goldie).

Jodie = Jodie Foster, somebody called her that when she went into foster care. She's now under our surname at the vet, but her formal name when she's in trouble is Josephine.

One day I'll have the perfect dog that will fit the name Frodo, but so far hasn't suited anyone. I've had budgies called Bill (Bilbo, the best bird ever), Perry (Peregrine), Tookie, and Alf (Gandalf) and a very special cat with stumpy legs like the king of the Dwarves called Balin. Also some nice dannio fish called Huey, Dewey and Louie (and one died, so the next one was called QE2).

You call them as you see them. Doing rescue stuff, you realise they really don't care as long as they get dinner!

ETA the dogs don't usually care, especially Labs, but cats might!

Edited by Katdogs

People can be jerks. Who cares what other people call their dogs?

I had planned for years beforehand to call our first dog Pickle... on the long drive home with her, OH convinced me that it didn't actually suit this pup. No idea how we got to Billie. Most people assume she is a boy.

I'm still on the hunt for a Pickle... :rainbowbridge:

I had a lovely Rottie cross bitch up in Mt hagen PNG named Billie... she was an abandoned dog who ended up with me and eventually with some good friends of ours.. she lived to the ripe old age of 15 years Bless her.

H