What's Wrong About Giving Dogs Human Names?

W Sibs

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is that parents have stolen all the good dog names. Molly, Max, Cooper, Ruby etc used to be great dog names but now have morphed into kids names.

Oh and I did fall into the trap of thinking I would never have children and calling a horse by my favourite child name. But I did spell it differently when I had my daughter.

My daughter names our chooks but all similar colours go under the same name. Orange large chooks are called Mango, small orange are called Buffy and blacks of any size are called Blacky, spotty ones are (you guessed it) Spotty. But we do have one spotty one called Fence Wire. She was attacked by chooks and scalped but had a few little black feathers poking out of her bloody head when we found her. They looked like barbed wire so Fence Wire it became.

My name list for pets are:

Larry (Happy as Larry) - suits him to a T as he is a happy and mad kelpie *

Moose - mastiff * - also suitable

3 - a cat with 3 legs (4 died recently - he looked the same but had 4 legs). We used to laugh when my daughter always asked cat owners how many legs their cat had - she thought the number of legs was optional.

Panda - goat the colour of a panda,

Just Only - another goat. She was expected to be twins but Just Only one was born,

Petal - goat named by my daughter - It actually is Pink Petal,

Topsie - goat named after the Enid Blighton character,

Grace - donkey

Paco - pony

Sparky - horse (that one is so not suitable as he is very very dopey)

Now deceased

Kaos - from Get Smart - GSD

Fred - horse

Clancy - GSD* dingo. Just a great Aussie name.

Mine are Polly and Basil...guess what my favourite show was in the 70s/80s...

:laugh: love Fawlty Towers.

My two are Stan and Maddie.I always wanted two boys and Reg would have been my second boy,Stan and Reg but I fell in love with Miss Madeleine.My friend has dachshund's and have all had human names.She has had Raymond,Ralph and Doug and now has Leroy,Chanel and Lola (the showgirl).Another friend's two dogs are called Graham and Neil.

Our two are Katie (grey) because she wouldn't answer to the name she came with and I stood there saying female names and when I said Katie she turned and walked straight to me so Katie it is. And our Pap cross is Bertie - short for Bertrum Wilberforce Wooster because that's who he reminded us of - dapper little man that he is.

We had a lovely ACD a few years back whose name was Lachlan. A friend was pregnant and when she had her baby her OH rang to tell us they had a little boy and he was named after our dog :thumbsup:

Cats.

Socks

Bini

Nudge ('Hey Dad' fan at the time)!

Snowy (Beau Jen Snow Tiger - Burmese)

Soosie

Tigger

Binty

Dogs.

Stroopy (Border Collie)

Sandra (Kelpie)

Sandy (Terrier mix)

Benji (Min Poodle)

Gyrle (Maltese X stray that came when you called "Girl"))

Khan (Maltese X Lhaso Apso)

Tessa (Schipperke)

Rex (GSD)

Waldo (Daschund)

Harley (GSD)

Maggie (Border Collie X ACD)

Clancy (GSD)

Bonnie (Cavalier)

Crystal (Cavalier)

Clover (Cavalier)

Emmalee (Cavalier)

Mine are Polly and Basil...guess what my favourite show was in the 70s/80s...

:laugh: love Fawlty Towers.

My two are Stan and Maddie.I always wanted two boys and Reg would have been my second boy,Stan and Reg but I fell in love with Miss Madeleine.My friend has dachshund's and have all had human names.She has had Raymond,Ralph and Doug and now has Leroy,Chanel and Lola (the showgirl).Another friend's two dogs are called Graham and Neil.

well spotted..Being I Pom I can even sound like them!

Given the latest trend in people naming, if we can only name our dogs non human names, we'll be very limited!

Hmmmm.....anyone named their puppy "Apple" yet?

Yep, I'm FB friends with a woman who has the most magnificent Akita called Apple. She's a stunner.

I have a Max, which is a very common human name for dogs except she's a girl, not a boy.

Whenever I said "her name is Max" people go "oh, Maxine" and it drives me nuts. If her name was Maxine, I would have introduced her as Maxine! She's Max, just Max.

Most of the dogs I know from the park have human names - Jack, Audrey, Cruz (ok, that's borderline human!), Tyler, Ace, Ollie.

I don't think it's uncommon, but I love the stories people often have for why they named their dog what they did.

Read recently that "Max" is the most popular male dog name for 2011. :D You kinda just bent it a bit. :laugh:

Daisy being the most popular female for 2011.

Given the latest trend in people naming, if we can only name our dogs non human names, we'll be very limited!

Hmmmm.....anyone named their puppy "Apple" yet?

Yep, I'm FB friends with a woman who has the most magnificent Akita called Apple. She's a stunner.

Hmmm...wonder if she'll get a second dog and call it Moses. ;)

Growing up I had a Poodle named 'Sprout', a Min Pin called 'Spud' and a ginger moggy named 'Slab' ... No idea lol.

My parents now have Rag Doll cats called 'Smudge' and 'Slinky'..

My Pomeranian puppy is called Benny :laugh: .. He suits it! I think I'd be more comfortable calling out 'Benny' than some of the above names. My parents named me a strange name, and I'm noticing a growing trend in strange names and/or purposely misspelt names, so I think it's great that our pets are still being named normal everyday names! :)

I have nothing against dogs with human names, each to their own. That being said though, I did have a little bit of a giggle when I found out the dog living in the house opposite mine is called Dave. :laugh:

A couple of years ago my oh's aunt told us her latest grandchild was Scout. New puppy I asked? no, human. :o

Scout is the name I have planned for if I ever have a baby girl. I think it's lovely!

Edited by mr.mister