What's Wrong About Giving Dogs Human Names?

W Sibs

We inherited a baby Chihuahua from my FIL many years ago. The pups name was Woof Woof. :wave: So when we bought a female chi my sense of humour dictated that she was called Bow Wow. :eek:

I'd have loved to hear you standing at the back door calling Woof Woof & Bow Wow in for dinner. :D

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No science, but just a bit of survey fun. :thumbsup:

A US company that deals in strategic naming, did a survey of pet owners (1,059) before the US election. To see if what people named their pets had any link with their voting preference. That is, if they intended voting for Hillary Clinton, John McCain or Barack Obama.

And they reckoned they found links. (By the way, 1/3 had chosen human names).

http://www.namedevelopment.com/articles/pe...date-study.html

Edited by mita

I don't think there is anything wrong with giving dogs human names. To me, humanising a dog is about the way you treat them, not the name you give them.

With my dogs, Jessie was a rescue dog and came with her name. It suits her very well and we never thought to change it.

With my other dog Matilda (we call her Tilly) she was a stray at the pound and was not microchipped, so we didn't know her name. If I had known her name I would have kept that name for her (unless it was something really horrible), but I think she really suits her name. When we were coming up with a name for her I suggested Matilda and my dad said that he would call her Tilly for short, and that's what we've called her ever since. She knew her name by the second day we had her, so it didn't exactly bother her :thumbsup: .

I'd have loved to hear you standing at the back door calling Woof Woof & Bow Wow in for dinner

I used to cause my neighbours amusement by standing at the back door commanding "5hitnapiss". And "Shutting the door now" or "in or out". Never had to call "dinner" - there's no way I could go near her dinner without her being right there. And she'd be glued to the back of my knee anytime she thought I should be getting her food.

So reading the Humanising dog thread... some people mention they won't give their dog human name. What's so bad/wrong with it?

My 2 have human names and I also gave them surnames too (but that was just for kicks and giggles and personal amusement).

Reason why I give my 2 human names is because... well, it suits them.

Emmy was named before I got her. Charlie was the first thought when I laid eyes on him.

I think it's just cute. Human names for dogs are extra cute because they are silly. My first dog's name was Ben. I know a dog called Simon and that is just extra cute

• 2 months later...

I love dogs with human names - its funny! Both of my dogs have human names, and my cat.

I have had rescue dogs in the past that had dog names - like Patch - its was boring because everyone could guess it and it wasnt unique

I wouldn't worry what others say.

I do trip out that since I named my first dog Aaliyah (dissappeared a couple years ago :) ) and I have Keira and then I met people with kids named that LOL made me think of my dogs. Keira is a human name but my newest baby Phoenix...isn't really.

Our cats have funny names

We had Jack (Jack Daniels hehe)

BW (Black and White lol guess what colour she is)

Nellie (Was originally Nervous Nellie because she was a sook but is now Nellie Bellie)

Wedgie (Her Lady Weginald...because she has a ginger wedge on her face)

We have a Gidget (my sisters dog), Sunny & Sasha (brothers dogs) and we had an Alex back in the day (RIP). My Grandma's dog is Toby and previous she had Willie 1 & 2(William).

What's funny is trying to convince your 4yo daughter, that yes, the dog she has met DOES indeed have the same name as her (Holly)! She was adamant that the dog wasn't called Holly, because it was her name :D

I've had plenty of dogs over the years with people names, but also ones that weren't, makes no difference really, so long as you like the name and it suits your dog...much like naming your children really :laugh:

I like to use human names that I like but am not quite brave enough to name a human baby that - or As I only had boys I have lots of girl names I like that I never got to use.

I love Lewis's name and Rommi's as well. WHo lnows what the next one will be :D

Our youngest (human) child is called Lily. Some friends of our family at the time she was born raved about the name, then went and bought a Golden Retriever puppy and named her Lily. :o

That was a little odd...

But we had a saluki we named Suri. It is an old Persian name that means Red Rose, she was red. But we got so sick of everyone asking if we named her after Tom Cruise's daughter! :o Seriously, I'd never heard of his daughter. Drove me nuts.

Can't remember if I posted on this thread before - as I age I am inheriting my mother's memory!

We had a nubian goat named George, a tabby cat name Ben the Bastard (because he had attitude), a corgi/shep cross who was known as Hey Dog but also came to the names Gordon and Ian. He was a rescue dog so I wouldn't be surprised if he'd had a few names before he came to us as an adult. I have a female staffy called Ricky (supposedly after Ricki Lake) and my youngest staffy is named Stussy. I really wanted to give her a gorgeous girly name and my friends and I tried out hundreds of names on her and this is the only one she would ever respond to. My mother still can't say it and calls her Shooshy. My sisters husky/shep cross is called Wolf. Funny to hear her calling the dog and people looking around a bit worried. One of my rescue SBTs got called Stolli after the vodka.

I like to name my dogs after people I particularly admire, so Harrison (George Harrison) and Dylan (Bob Dylan). My absolute idol is Eric Clapton, but I couldn't name a dog either Eric or Clapton :thumbsup:

I would rather people gave their dogs human names than their children dogs names. I remember years ago when some friend named their baby Max & my ex told them "that's a Bull Terrier's name"!

I just had to reply to this one - when my OH got his first dog - black staffy x - the only 2 choices for his name were Eric or Clapton - i chose Clapton because there was no way I was standing in the yard yelling "Eric...."

I LOVE human names for dogs.

We've got Mac - came with it, short for Macarthur

Bart - came with it

Marie - came with it (pronounced as in Marie-Clair the magazine)

Grover - completely suits Big Stupid and I wish his registered name was "Prefix 'Tis I Grover"

Daphne - hysterical name and my favourite name for ALL of my dogs - suggested by Ready Set Go

Ellie-Mae - well she is a bloodhound so it was kind of obvious though she gets called "Ells Bells" as much as anything else.

Hopefully we'll have a male Fauve to add to our family soon and I've been tossing up all sorts of names but its most likely to be a human name. I like Dennis (though worry that I'll create a "Dennis the Menace". We've also considered, if Marie is pregnant, that we'll go with a theme of the Danish Royal Family as they have a Danish father and Australian mother - the stud dog is Danish. If we do go with that theme it would leave me with Frederick, Christian & Vincent to choose from.

Sadly I've exhausted a lot of my favourite dog names naming rescue dogs :thumbsup: