Macro Photo's

Frodo's mum

tlc - loving that red & yellow flower in post 241 and the last bug in 242 :thumbsup:

I'd love to find a bug like that and a daisy (is that what that white flower is?) - such potential for a really striking shot!

Nice work :)

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Kristin, I can send you some bugs, :laugh: they are running rife in our back yard, hundreds of them and they are fast!

The daisy is one of those ones that just grows wild in the back yard too. I was actually shooting the daisy and the bug just crawled on, I only had less than a second to snap the shot. :laugh:

Hey guys, I'm just coming in here for a bit of advice - hopefully for Christmas I'm getting a macro lens :D I'm not 100% sure which one I want though, I'm thinking either the 60mm or the 90mm Tamron. What's the difference between them? I was also heading for a 100mm 2.8 macro lens but they are way way out of my price range :o

Thanks! Loving the photos in here :)

You wont have to be as close to your subject with the 90mm, another one to consider is the Sigma 105, I looked a that and the canon 100mm and I decided on the canon, its great. If you want it for a better price DWI have it for much less that you can get it in a shop. Have a look HERE

There are from the 100mm Macro

file-1.jpg

file-2.jpg

I am only new to Macro so still learning and I can see my shots getting better the more I take. It is a bit of a learning curve using a macro lens and takes some patients.

You wont have to be as close to your subject with the 90mm, another one to consider is the Sigma 105, I looked a that and the canon 100mm and I decided on the canon, its great. If you want it for a better price DWI have it for much less that you can get it in a shop. Have a look HERE

There are from the 100mm Macro

file-1.jpg

I am only new to Macro so still learning and I can see my shots getting better the more I take. It is a bit of a learning curve using a macro lens and takes some patients.

I can see that flowers pubic hair! :laugh:

with my old 400D just after I'd got the macro lens. Prices have dropped so much that I paid more for it 2nd hand then than what you can get it for new now! But I love it. :)

3509950832_1f5e482881_b.jpg

sepia dandelion by kirislin, on Flickr

Not a macro but taken with the macro lens.

an interesting fact I later found out about the rider of the horse, she's a policewoman and was involved in the purana task force, I think that was the Mokbel case. Here's what she likes to do in her spare time.

3524077999_70650268ab_b.jpg

6244 sepia tc by kirislin, on Flickr

Edited by Kirislin

Nice, I love the DOF when macro lenses are used for big subjects. I think purana was Carl Williams?

Has anybody looked into the ring lights that are LED? They give a continuous light rather than a flash but sit on the end of lens like a ring flash.

Yep, I think they were all connected.

Lovely shots, the horse shot is lovely!

Some more from me, same boring bug

file_zps24775d20.jpg

file_zps588215f6.jpg

I had a training day at work today and one of the things we learnt about was proteas, the teacher trimmed one and gave us the cutting, he knew I was into photography so he said here see what sort of shots you can come up with with that. :laugh: So of course when i came home I was right on it. :laugh: It was around the time when the sun was going down so I think I got a few interesting shots and one back lit which I will save for the other thread!

file_zps77e9098b.jpg

file_zps71be3b64.jpg

file_zps15ffe362.jpg

I'm not really sue, I think they are variations of the same bug, I think the second one is the one who's double ended at times. :laugh: the first one has dots down its back. We have hundreds of them here but they are fast, I have to be quick which is tough with the 100mm.

With the protea the pics were not as nice as I'd like, I wanted the very centre to be the main focus but in most shots the camera had a hard time focusing on that centre bit it kept focusing on the inner yellow bits. I've resorted to manual focus a lot more and seeming getting better at it. I think it's true that practice makes perfect! :laugh:

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! The colours on that fly are amazing! I always think spiders look so vulnerable, their skin looks see through.

I want some more interesting subjects to shoot! I'm a bit sick of my back yard bug buddies!