Heeling

Definitely don't give up on trialling! It wasn't that long ago that my dog was heeling far worse than Shelley - I'd be lucky if she'd even stay next to me. Now her heelwork isn't half bad. It can be done and I am sure it won't take much to get her working with a nicer attitude.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know i seem boring i'm not offended at all, I guess i don't want to look like a idiot at training.

LOL you'd probably have a heart attack if you came to one of my classes, I love to demonstrate the difference between being boring and having a party with your dog to our poor first nighters :( hehe!

Don't worry about what other people think - do what works best for your dog. I am CONSTANTLY making an idiot out of myself and my dog loves it! ;)

Hell yes! I'm known to squeal and roll around on the ground with my dog when she's been exceptionally good, or turn into a "monster" and chase her around (she loves that). Even when you tug, you have to put effort in & look like you're having a great time. Boring is bad! :(

It's nothing to do with how you hold your hands. Be exciting! If you don't look excited, why would your dog be excited?

Lot more of reinforcement, and often. If the dog's not excited for the reward, don't progress until it is - or you won't get the results you want. Make her hungry before training, get a super tasty reward food, & deliver it with animation & prey movements & excited praise.

When you have excitement for the reward, I'd be getting the dog to sit in heel position, or just do one step with me, and then release & reward. If you can't get the level of animation you're after simply sitting at heel, you won't get it while you're walking either.

The suggestion to train with more experienced people is also a great one. Perhaps attending a class in clicker training would help you?

& thanks, OSoSwift! ;)

I know i seem boring i'm not offended at all, I guess i don't want to look like a idiot at training.

LOL you'd probably have a heart attack if you came to one of my classes, I love to demonstrate the difference between being boring and having a party with your dog to our poor first nighters :o hehe!

Don't worry about what other people think - do what works best for your dog. I am CONSTANTLY making an idiot out of myself and my dog loves it! :o

Hell yes! I'm known to squeal and roll around on the ground with my dog when she's been exceptionally good, or turn into a "monster" and chase her around (she loves that). Even when you tug, you have to put effort in & look like you're having a great time. Boring is bad! ;)

It's nothing to do with how you hold your hands. Be exciting! If you don't look excited, why would your dog be excited?

Lot more of reinforcement, and often. If the dog's not excited for the reward, don't progress until it is - or you won't get the results you want. Make her hungry before training, get a super tasty reward food, & deliver it with animation & prey movements & excited praise.

When you have excitement for the reward, I'd be getting the dog to sit in heel position, or just do one step with me, and then release & reward. If you can't get the level of animation you're after simply sitting at heel, you won't get it while you're walking either.

The suggestion to train with more experienced people is also a great one. Perhaps attending a class in clicker training would help you?

& thanks, OSoSwift! :eek:

:( +1

;) @ the 'being exciting' - one of the key lessons I give in my baby puppy class. Last week I told them something like "If other people don't think you're acting like an idiot, then you're not really trying" :(

It's so hard to get people to be willing to party and have fun with their dog. I suspect it's one of the hangovers forom older methods of training, when it was all terribly 'serious' :(

Does Shelley get animated about anything? Maybe to hype her up and get her interested in treats, play the 2 food game with her. Throw a bit of food, have her driving back to you and throw another piece in another direction. Or use toys if she prefers. It should get her excited and want to play/work with you. Ultimately we should be aiming for work and play to be the same thing. Heeling is just another fun game, and you really do need to sound and look like an idiot when you're training :)

Shelley gets very excited when i'm excited and say Shelley bell to her. She loves to run around and be patted all over. I've never used treats with Shelley even when a puppy, At times Shelley can get too excited will walk out of heel when she does that i stop and say heel and she returns to my left side, I then reward her.

I guess i'm going to have to be more exciting to her and have more fun.

If the reward rate is high enough and the rewards appropriate, the dog will want to work. I aim for compulsive training in my dogs. If they don't try to prompt me to train with them then I'm doing something wrong. Even Kivi will come and look for training. Actually, his chief way of "asking" to train is to come and glue himself to someone's leg and look up at them hopefully. Never taught him a formal heel, but he's been rewarded for coming in and glueing himself to a leg often enough that he does it a lot without being asked. He'll try it with anyone. It's kind of embarrassing when he sidles up to complete strangers on the beach and starts heeling with them. Thankfully most people seem more bemused by it than anything. He very rarely gets rewarded for it, but he has a lot of faith in heels, apparently.

When my dog's head goes down onto the ground, sometimes it's stress and loss of focus.

Mostly it's because she's found something yummy, new and exciting and I've got to find ways of topping that to get her attention back.

I have loads of problems at my dog club because possum poo usually rates - on novelty value alone - as better than almost anything I've got to offer. I've got a few things that top it, but I just have to remember I've got them and pull them out and make her work for them. Have been seriously considering loading up a treat bag with fresh possum poo. Sigh.

I'm not sure how far away from you this is but there is a seminar being held in Albury with Sue Hogben (a positive trainer) titled "A Weekend of Obedience from CCD to UDX". on the 21st and 22nd May this year. I believe there are still positions available for observers on both days. If you can get there even for one day it may help you out. If you're interested I can send you more details.

Edit: I don't know Sue and I've not seen her train but I know of people who hold her in high regard.

Edited by Jigsaw

I'm not sure how far away from you this is but there is a seminar being held in Albury with Sue Hogben (a positive trainer) titled "A Weekend of Obedience from CCD to UDX". on the 21st and 22nd May this year. I believe there are still positions available for observers on both days. If you can get there even for one day it may help you out. If you're interested I can send you more details.

Edit: I don't know Sue and I've not seen her train but I know of people who hold her in high regard.

:love: Well worth a drive! :love:

I'm in merbein close to mildura. So i'm not close to albury at all i'm afraid.

I'm in merbein close to mildura. So i'm not close to albury at all i'm afraid.

:thumbsup: Depends how you define 'close' :eek: I drove from Hobart to Tweed Heads to go to a seminar with Sue H at Camp Tailwaggers :love: - mind you, it was a 4-day camp.

Nawww TSD was the SA Sue H weekend really that bad :love: - I made it easy I sought out bringing Sue guru over here :thumbsup:. Was a great weekend though - pity lots of people weren't impressed - so typical when we get seminar presenters to SA. Also just a shame that they didn't think there would be enough interest for a straight obedience weekend so had to split the time with a day of agility (not that that wasn't interesting I would just have preferred longer on the obedience).

Edited by ness