Pigs Ears

Guest Labradork

Guest Labradork

Hi all,

Just interested in a consensus on dried pigs' ears. You know, the ones you pick up for about $2 from the pet store.

My Lab used to love them, but I noticed a couple of times that he would chew them up to a point, and then they would get stuck in the back of his throat. We're not talking small pieces here - this was practically the entire ear!

We tried trotters, but he'd chew off large pieces, and would end up vomiting bits back up.

I'd love to give him more occupying chew treats, but I'm concerned the same thing will happen with any dried animal matter, e.g. rawhide etc. Before you say it - we already have Kongs etc etc., and he gets through those very quickly.

Thoughts?

Cheers :laugh:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are banned from my house, too many choking incidents :laugh: Only treats my dogs are given now are under full supervision and are generally roo sticks, liver and the occasional trotter.

I prefer to give chicken wings and/or necks to help clean teeth and keep occupied. Frozen chicken frames will keep them going for a while too.

My boy loves it and can finish one in a minute; and he's an 11kg terrier :(! He chews it to small bits so never have issues with it getting stuck *touch wood*. We found a vegetarian version in Caufield pet expo - it's more rubbery/ chewy and took him longer to finish (he had to chew more). I think this is better but have no idea where to get it from (it was in a showbag).

I think it depends on the individual dog - if yours have history of choking (common in labs), either supervise or don't give it. No treat is worth your dog's life.

Thanks for those suggesting roo tail - will give it a go :(

Try your dog on roo tails instead :( you can freeze them.. to make 'em last a bit longer!

Do you mean fresh roo tails? If so, where do you get them?

I (well my dog lol) tried the dried roo tails and then spewed pieces of bone up a few hours later.

She never liked pigs ears as a baby pup, but likes them more now. We have never had a choking incident but I would never give her one unsupervised and frankly I rarely give them- they are so unhealthy, i would much rather give a nice fresh lamb shank as a treat (lasts a lot longer too!)

I use treat balls and bob-a-lots when i go out and leave her unsupervised (i've heard of dogs choking and dying with kongs :()

My dogs all love pigs ears, they don't bolt them down fast and they are a great occasional treat.....usually at a dog show when they are crated.

Dried roo tails gave Benson the worst diarrhoea I have ever seen. It was gross, it went right through his hairy pants and made the most sickening mess. I hate to think what his poor tummy felt like.

Try your dog on roo tails instead :scared: you can freeze them.. to make 'em last a bit longer!

Do you mean fresh roo tails? If so, where do you get them?

I (well my dog lol) tried the dried roo tails and then spewed pieces of bone up a few hours later.

I use treat balls and bob-a-lots when i go out and leave her unsupervised (i've heard of dogs choking and dying with kongs :()

Any pet food the is smoked, dried or cured in some way is considered cooked bone.

The food is dehydrated in some form or other.

Turkey necks, ox tail or fresh roo tail is so much better than the dried form. Chicken necks or the smaller end sections of the larger pieces can be used for smaller dogs. :mad

I find it hard to find a source I'm happy with. Anything made in China or Thailand etc is a no no. They are also very fatty so not good for dogs you are trying to get weight off. So we usually don't, and stick with RMBs for chewing. If I could find a source of fresh ears and dry them myself I'd be more keen to give it a go.

We found a vegetarian version in Caufield pet expo - it's more rubbery/ chewy and took him longer to finish (he had to chew more). I think this is better but have no idea where to get it from (it was in a showbag).

You can get these from Robbos Pet Barn :(

We also use the veggie pigs ears as they don't seem to cause choking (more chewy and less splintery) and take the dogs longer to eat. We get them from Petbarn they are more expensive than the "real ones" at nearly $3.00 each, I wait until they are on special and load up.

I give my dogs pig ears from the bow wow brand (at coles). I was happy with the ingredient list and my lot love them. I also have fresh pig ears which they don't seem to like. How do I dry them? I tried putting them in the sun and it gave off a terrible smell.

I give my dog venison ears. They are 99% fat free. Sheep ears are smaller, and we give our dog one a day. She loves them and sometimes has a gag on them, but I always supervise when she is eating them.

I give my dogs pig ears from the bow wow brand (at coles). I was happy with the ingredient list and my lot love them. I also have fresh pig ears which they don't seem to like. How do I dry them? I tried putting them in the sun and it gave off a terrible smell.

I'm pretty sure the bow wow ones are from cina. I get baked ones from pet stock that are locally produced. Given the dramas with chinese made treats over the last few years I wouldn't feed my o/s treats to my dogs.