When Is On Leash Not Effective Control?

Whippetsmum

On the way home this evening I saw some little kids with a really big dog on leash- definatley no adult anywhere in sight (points for having a leash at least). The eldest child would be around 9 years old, and this dog would weigh more than both kids combined. The dog appeared to be walking with the children, but I wondered how effective their control would be if the dog decided to do something unexpected, like chase the ducks at the lake they were walking towards. To me, kids can't anticipate/plan ahead so even a small dog could be a problem for a child to handle out in the world. I woulod hope that adults (when paying attention to their dog) might anticipate it's reaction to an approaching person for example, so even a light weight adult might be more in control than a child of a similar weight.

Which brings me to the question: What constitutes "On leash"? e.g. are there situations when having a leash attached to a dog not "On leash"? Does the legal definition of "on leash" mention the age of the handler?

P.S. I'm not talking about Junior handlers at a show, obedience or agility trial.

I think the other end of the spectrum is worth a mention too.

One of my cats (years ago) was attacked by a large breed dog on lead. He dragged his owner who was easily 70yo and very frail into my garden to get the cat (who also lost a leg as a result).

Despite being on lead the entire time, this to me, was not effective control.

what if the person can control it but doesn't bother?

I've seen heaps of people let their dog do whatever on those extendable leads. I even know someone whose dog was run over and killed while on an extendable lead

:(

They may as well be off lead, and then at least they wouldn't trip people over when the lead gets all tangled around peoples legs.

There was someone like this at arspca dog walk - toward the end at least - and she just didnt get that her dog was out on the extenda lead and causing me and others serious issues trying to avoid being tripped over by her uncontrolled dog.

I don't like those extendable leads as you don't have much control over the dog. All the dogs i have seen on those leads are very bossy and get into other dogs faces. I think they should be taken off the market really. I admit i was walking my mums golden retriever Buddy when i was 14 years old, But i had full control over him.

This is from the Companion Animals Act and refers to the fact that the dog must be under the control of a "competent person", which I always assumed :( to be a person over 16 yrs of age. However, I cannot see anywhere in the Act that defines exactly what a competent person is!

From the Companion Animals Act 1998 :

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/con...998174/s13.html

"Section 13

Responsibilities while dog in public place

(1) A dog that is in a public place must be under the effective control of some competent person by means of an adequate chain, cord or leash that is attached to the dog and that is being held by (or secured to) the person.

(2) If this section is contravened:

(a) the owner of the dog, or

(b) if the owner is not present at the time of the offence and another person who is of or above the age of 16 years is in charge of the dog at that time-that other person, is guilty of an offence.

(3) Any person (including an authorised officer) can seize a dog that is in a public place in contravention of this section. If the owner of the dog is present, the dog cannot be seized except by an authorised officer and only then if the contravention continues after the owner has been told of the contravention. A reference in this subsection to the owner of the dog includes a reference to the person who is for the time being in charge of the dog.

Note: Putting the dog on a leash prevents the dog being seized but it does not excuse the contravention and does not stop action being taken for the contravention.

(4) A dog is not considered to be under the effective control of a person if the person has more than 4 dogs under his or her control. "

Edited by futuredogtrainer

When we go for a walk I often let my 8 year old walk our 60 kg dog. He is very well behaved, and she is very competent.

He has no prey drive and he has good recall. He is very mild mannered and will do anything she tells him to.

But I wouldn't let her walk him by herself; I certainly don't agree with kids walking dogs of any size by themselves.

So often people see a big dog and they fail to see how well behaved it is. All they see is a large animal that frightens them.

My kids get so upset with me when we go to my daughter's cricket match. Two people bring their dogs (a full grown labrador and a overweight black setter - apologise I know their not called that, but for the life of me I can't think of the breed at the moment) and then all the kids take them walking round the oval. My kids (who are 7 and 9) are not allowed to take part in this, cause I get to worried and all the other parents think I'm being a hypercondriac Mum, cause there's never been an issue before. But I get to worried, not so much about these dogs, but what would happen if another dog entered the picture. My daughter shoots me a filthy look every week, but every week the answers still NO.

There was someone like this at arspca dog walk - toward the end at least - and she just didnt get that her dog was out on the extenda lead and causing me and others serious issues trying to avoid being tripped over by her uncontrolled dog.

And they are often out of control little dogs too. Not only large dogs.

I feel I have good obedience control over my dogs, but if weight became part of the equation, I would only ever be able to walk one at the time. When I often walk two to three.

The Tasmanian Dog Control Act says :

(1) A dog is under the effective control of a person in a public place if the dog is –

(a) on a road or road-related area in a built-up area, or any other public place declared under Division 2 of Part 3 to be an area where a dog must be on a lead, and the dog is secured and restrained by means of a lead not more than 2 metres long held by hand by a person able to control the dog;

Which should stop people using flexis on a road - but .....

There's also

(5) A person, at any one time, must not have in his or her charge more than –

(a) 2 dogs on a lead on a footpath; or

(b) 4 dogs in a public place.

Hmmm yes, effective control is certainly not age-dependent - saw a male GSD dragging his adult (slim) owner about 50 metres across the oval to try to get at another dog ;) - he was on an ordinary lead, but she was holding it right at the handle end. :)

Certainly a "Catch 22" situation. I agree that a dog should be under effective control and to that end I would never let my youngest (10) take out the GSD without an older person along to help if "the need arised". He has been know to sit there placidly while some "nuff nuffs" dog has been hanging off his neck with the owner stupidly saying "Well that's what my stupid dog deserves for attacking a German Shepherd"! Meanwhile my other daughter (18) has become outraged (and rightly so) that our poor boy has to put up with this stupidity and she's trying to pull this dog off him???? :)

But it's a sad day indeed when a kid can't take the family dog out for a walk on the lead because he hasn't been taught how to walk a dog properly. Too many times I've seen kids walking dogs no bigger than a beagle that are pulling madly and obviously strong for them with arms extended and no 'give' in those small arms should the dog go for another quick lunge. The lead would easily be flicked out of small hands and what then...dog fight.....run over dog.....cat attacked? Anything could happen really but , hey, at least the kids have put down the DS and got off the couch.

Really I'd like to see more older kids walking their dogs. Effectively of course. ;)

There are a few varied dog control acts in different places.

The acts are not always policed very closely. Nobody is going to come and measure your lead or ask your age. But, if your dog goes out of control and causes an issue to people, you might have a problem.

It is usually only once a problem has happened that the charge of failing to control a dog is applied.

I think it depends on the dog and the kid.

From the age of about 12 I would regularly take our 45kg Bull Arab mix most places with me, she couldn't care less about people, dogs, cats, cars etc etc she had a perfect loose leash walk and was reliable offleash. We actually wern't allowed to go out alone without her, she was an incredible judgement of character and knew how to stop something before it started. She was just one of those well rounded, fantastic dogs.

I wouldn't let my kids do it but I don't think my mother necessarily made a bad decision by not letting us.

I'm another who hates those flexi leads, they can be such a nuisance and the dogs are very rarely able to be effectively recalled. I believe in SA that "on lead" means a leash less than 2m in length.

As for kids - it depends. I used to walk our sheltie on my own at about 12 but Mum used to take me to obedience training with her every week and we worked well together. I also used to pop in to the retired lady next door on my way and see if she had walked her poodle and if not she would come with me so I wasn't always alone. Dimmity would not leave heel position even if given the opportunity as she was a nervous girl and I was her safe zone and she would do anything I asked. She could have been walked on a piece of cotton thread and not broken it.

However my first border collie Ricky was very seriously attacked by an Akita being held on lead by an 8 year old, when he decided to go she was pretty much bouncing along on the end of the lead and provided no barrier whatsoever to him going where he wanted.. She was also not the owner of the dog, the owner said he was fine and as she was the only 1 at a kids cub scout pet day without a dog he had given her the lead (the cub scout leader). I was there as my brother was the other leader and had no pet at the time. I had kids begging me to walk Ricky but wouldn't allow them as I felt it wasn't safe, I was only 8/19 at the time and felt he could be too difficult for them to manage. I have been forever grateful that I had said no as I think had there been no adults nearby then it could have been so much worse and kids were at risk too.

It is definitely a grey area - I used to tell my puppy classes that a dog onlead did not mean it was under control.

I take my 55kg Bloodhound and my 20ish kilo Kelpie out with my 9 year old daughter - she walks the kelpie AFTER we are halfway through the walk and the kelpie has calmed down - she walks next to me and is learning how to walk her properly and always hands the leash back to me if there is another dog in sight or we are walking past people and there is not a lot of room. I would not let either of my kids walk either of the dogs alone - too many things that can go wrong.

But it's a sad day indeed when a kid can't take the family dog out for a walk on the lead because he hasn't been taught how to walk a dog properly. Too many times I've seen kids walking dogs no bigger than a beagle that are pulling madly and obviously strong for them with arms extended and no 'give' in those small arms should the dog go for another quick lunge. The lead would easily be flicked out of small hands and what then...dog fight.....run over dog.....cat attacked? Anything could happen really but , hey, at least the kids have put down the DS and got off the couch.

Really I'd like to see more older kids walking their dogs. Effectively of course. :rofl:

I have been watching from kitchem window th e last couple of days a primary school aged child walk (being dragged by) his puppy while riding a scooter going down a hill :shrug: at least he had a helmet on :eek:

He was on the road.... no where was there effective control. It was scary to watch them zoom past. :D