Advertising Puppies

-Megz-

Hey there all,

Just wanted some thoughts on this.

We had a litter late last year, 10 in the litter and thus far only 3 have been sold. They are coming up to 4 months old now and being a bigger breed having 7 puppies is getting a lot to handle. The owner is fine with them and they have heaps of room it's just the age group and having so many they terrorise each other so have to be split into smaller groups rather than all playing together.

They are advertised on DOL and we had some contact that way, we also had adverts put in the paper a couple of times with little to no success.

What other advertising options are there?

Thanks

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey there all,

Just wanted some thoughts on this.

We had a litter late last year, 10 in the litter and thus far only 3 have been sold. They are coming up to 4 months old now and being a bigger breed having 7 puppies is getting a lot to handle. The owner is fine with them and they have heaps of room it's just the age group and having so many they terrorise each other so have to be split into smaller groups rather than all playing together.

They are advertised on DOL and we had some contact that way, we also had adverts put in the paper a couple of times with little to no success.

What other advertising options are there?

Thanks

Can any breeders of the same breed or similar breeds help you with puppy homes?

Do you have interest but then no purchasers

or no initial interest for purchase at all?

Edited by lilli

I have always found DOL to be the best way to advertise.

Do the stud & dam have health tests done are your puppies registered with your Canine Council, what about price are they over priced?

Just my first thoughts.

Pups are definitely registered and I've been told the price is cheap.

There have been a couple of breeders mention that they would point a couple of people in our direction but nothing yet.

All but one person that has been in contact has ended up with a pup - 4 enquiries total. :love:

It's sad, they are such delightful puppies.

Not sure about other breeds but in mine sales are very slow at the moment. For the first time ever I have had unsold puppies past 12 weeks as have a lot of other breeders. I tried several different avenues and it really didn't generate a lot of interest. I don't think it is a price thing, the homes just aren't there.

Are there any other breeders in other areas that would take a couple of pups and advertise them in their area? That way they would also get more individual attention and be split from their littermates. I have found the longer the pups run as a pack the harder it is for them to adjust to pet homes esp if they are going to be only dogs

I have always found DOL to be the best way to advertise.

Do the stud & dam have health tests done are your puppies registered with your Canine Council, what about price are they over priced?

Just my first thoughts.

Pups are definitely registered and I've been told the price is cheap.

There have been a couple of breeders mention that they would point a couple of people in our direction but nothing yet.

All but one person that has been in contact has ended up with a pup - 4 enquiries total. :love:

It's sad, they are such delightful puppies.

Megz I tried to send you a PM but for some reason it wont work.

so:

If your breed is a large or largish breed and would make a good family companion / watch dog

and suit a rural environment

PM me your breed and details and i will pass the family puppy enquiries on.

My puppies all have homes but I am still getting enquiries

and some of the homes sound really lovely but are not suited to my breed

or they are suited, and there are no puppies available for them.

Welcome to breeding pointers!! They arent an easy breed to rehome.

We recently had two large litters of Pointers - Nine in one litter (now 12 weeks) and Eight in the other (now 4 weeks). Luckily we have now found homes for the 12 puppies was was looking to place. We are crazily running on five in total for now.

Most of our enquires were from word of mouth or DOL. I find it is much easier to have orders prior to breeding a litter or pointers. There are alot of rumours about old time breeder culling pointer puppies (and other hard to rehome breeds) at birth to managable size litters - i personally could never bring myself to do this though.

Good Luck!! I send some enquires your way!

Perhaps try Gumtree, trading post or tradertag websites. DOL is a good start.

we are trying to sell two pups of a rare breed and have had a couple of enquiries to come look at them then couple of hours

prior to visit they phone and say they have chosen another breed. :) :) :)

BB

Hi Megz,

What about your breed club? I had a litter of 8 puppies last year & advertised with the Vic Australian terrier club which resulted in me finding 3 fantastic homes. :)

I also had great success with my Dol listing.

I have since now done my own website, & have found I am getting calls & emails weekly from people looking for a puppy, & I don't even have a litter at the moment.

I recently updated my site that we have just done a breeding, & the possibility of us having a litter in April.

I now have 5 people on a waiting list for a puppy from this hopefully future litter. I just hope my bitch is pregnant now & that I don't have to break bad news to these people. It seems that it is really hard to find Australian terrier puppies at the moment.

So I was just going to suggest that if you haven't got your own website, it is really worth considering doing one, as I find it gives you the best exposure, & puppy buyers can find out information about your dogs & puppies & yoursel, & also see photos before making contact with you. I find it is the best form of advertising of all. I have a feeling that I will have this hopefully upcoming litter sold before they are even born. :)

Troy has great breeders websites templates that are very user friendly to put together & he offers a 30 day free trial & then I think $85.00 for the year, they look really great & totally worth it for advertising your dogs.

Good luck, hopefully you can find great homes for your babies soon. :)

Edited by Baileys mum

I also agree that puppies are more difficult to place at the moment.

I had a litter born early December and for the first time ever I still had unsold puppies at 8 weeks. I had lots of phone & email enquiries though but lots of them went nowhere. I also found that many did not want to leave a deposit, suppose that was to leave their options open in case they found a puppy nearer to them.

Some of mine were sold by other breeders recommendations, the stud owner and by an add placed on our breed club site.

Most frustration was via person wanting a show puppy who dropped out only days prior to picking her puppy up (no deposit paid), she wanted to pay in full at the time of pick up, NO phone call, no email to explain why, just stopped answering the phone, ( won't do that again ), others were the hours spent sending emails and photos, updates then they fell off the face of the earth never to be heard from again?????

I don't mind putting in the hours, but why after the time spent on them, don't they just say that they have changed their mind because at the end of the day all we want is the best possible placement for the puppy.

Makes me wonder why we do it sometimes?

Hi

I will agree that at the moment the puppies are not flying out the door.

I had 18 names on my waiting list that all wanted a rear colour in this beed some had been on the waiting list for 4 years and now I have a hole litter of this colour and at 6 weeks old still have not sold them all.

I am in a small outback town and most of my pups have to fly as it just to far for people to come.

But it does seem to me that every one is having a problem at the moment not just me.

We have a litter of puppies who are nearing 8 weeks with no firm interest either. I have been considering a very carefully-worded ad in the Trading Post (based on the assumption that if we want members of the public to know about quality, purebred dogs then we have to advertise where they are looking) - but it is hard to take that step when a search for puppies of your breed on the Trading Post site turns up some in a Victorian petshop and some person locally who just wants to "borrow" a dog for breeding (doesn't care if it's one breed or another "similar" one). :)