Referances Are Required

Fleuri

Just curious to know what type of references would be required? Who from? if a breeder has this statement posted on their web page.

REFERANCES ARE REQUIRED BEFORE WE WILL CONSIDER SELLING A PUPPY

I can only think of a vet reference, maybe stating that you already have a healthy dog that gets vet check ups every year?

Thank you in advance.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe they mean they need a reference, such as a dictionary? :D

Just curious to know what type of references would be required? Who from? if a breeder has this statement posted on their web page.

I can only think of a vet reference, maybe stating that you already have a healthy dog that gets vet check ups every year?

Thank you in advance.

i can see the good point of references required but i can also see the bad view.

Good view is that references will stop the irresponable owners,byb breeders and people who buy on impulse. The bad news is what about the new owners that haven't owned a dog before they wouldn't have any references at all.

I know breeders can be very picky where there puppy goes but to me references isn't the way to go. I guess i couldn't blame breeders being wary of selling there puppiesas there are alot of people out there that are irresponable and neglect there dogs.

I may have to move on as I can only supply a vet and family and friends references. I'm not with a club.

Gaylek -It's for a Terrier type.

Thank you again.

Not a Mini Schnauzer

Edited by Fleuri

Maybe they mean they need a reference, such as a dictionary? ;)

Thank you in advance.

:D

If you are seriously seeking to buy a dog from these people, why not ask them?

But apart from that - what Bundy said --- your vet, your training club etc.

Some breeders are so far up the tree (not themselves, the tree :D ) that you DO need a reference. They always have heaps more orders than pups, and you need something extra to actually get you onto the list. And they usually have gorgeous dogs. But those breeders wouldn't put that on their site.

Thinking about it - I don't think I would someone who wanted "referances" - coz it is crass!!

Edited by Jed

Never have & never will.references are only as good as the people giving them.

Some vets aren't worth there Diploma & other people's ideas of a good owner well :D

Some training clubs also have no clue .

If a breeder can't weed out there potential owners through asking the right questions then god help them.

As for following up references vets won't discuss clients due to the privacy act & if vets are answering questions from strangers then i would be rightly peeved

If you are seriously seeking to buy a dog from these people, why not ask them?

But apart from that - what Bundy said --- your vet, your training club etc.

Some breeders are so far up the tree (not themselves, the tree :D ) that you DO need a reference. They always have heaps more orders than pups, and you need something extra to actually get you onto the list. And they usually have gorgeous dogs. But those breeders wouldn't put that on their site.

Hi Jed, I haven't spoken to the breeder yet ..I guess I wanted to be prepared plus I didn't want to sound ignorant. ;)

It wouldn't occur to me NOT to give references when I'm applying to get a puppy from a registered breeder who doesn't know me.

I wouldn't need to be asked. If I make enquiries about a dog/puppy/cat from either a registered breeder or rescue, I tell them I'm happy to supply a reference (or contacts for referees).

So that breeder, who asked, gets my approval. It was sensible to inform people, in the ad. So that those, like me, who are happy with the idea, will continue. And those who are not, can move on.

References (& referee contacts) I've given are :vets who've known us well, neighbours who've lived next door for years (& lived thro' our pets :D ), & a general character reference from professional colleagues who've also known us well.

Edited by mita

If you like the dogs, give it a go Fleuri!! Probably a good word from the vet would be enough.

Mita, did the breeders tell you they wanted references? That's a bit different from asking on a website. And yes, I have dealt with people who wanted referees, or references but they were more covert than that :D

It just sounds a bit pretentious really, and is the kind of thing best asked for in person if needed at all. I could understand if it was a working-bred animal that had to go to a knowledgeable home with a working task to perfom, although even then putting it in the ad without explanation is a bit odd. On the other hand, if it's a breeder with huge demand for their puppies using references up front to eliminate some, I wonder why they need to advertise at all.

Edited: I assumed this was in an ad, re-read the OP and as a general comment on a web page it's OK. But they would do better to say what the references are attesting to. I sort of gave referees, if not references , when inquiring for both my two last pups. Having had the breed before I gave names of people in it that the breeders would know, and who knew me. At least one of them did check me out because the mutual acquaintance told me so later.

Edited by Diva

Mita, did the breeders tell you they wanted references? That's a bit different from asking on a website. And yes, I have dealt with people who wanted referees, or references but they were more covert than that :D

I approve of the breeder telling people, on the website, that references will be required. As I said, it lets people like me who approve, continue... & those who don't, move on.

As I've said the breeders didn't have to ask me. I approached them & in that enquiry indicated that I'd supply references. So they'd know, from the first instance, they're dealing with a person who takes adopting their dog/puppy/cat seriously. And have done the same when applying for a rescue pet.

Diva, what is 'pretentious' about someone requiring documented evidence about who you are & what your history of owning pets has been like?

I'd call it a necessity.

Edited by mita

I would just speak to them. I don't see it as awful, till you know what they want to know about you. If it feels uncomfortable just say thanks but no thanks.

I would guess they are just trying to be careful to assure their pups have good homes and it is nothing more than that.

Getting more like America every day.

agreed, sigh :D

Why is asking for references &/ or the supplying of references peculiarly American...in your view?

Edited by mita