Puppy Won't Suck

gapvic

Blue brindle girl doing OK but things not looking good for the little boy. He just had what appeared to be a seizure - threw his head back, limbs stretched out, and went completely rock hard all over. Thought he was dead, but he is still hanging in there. Should I pts?

depends how much you want to help him to fight

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He just had what appeared to be a seizure - threw his head back, limbs stretched out, and went completely rock hard all over. Thought he was dead, but he is still hanging in there. Should I pts?

Hypoglycemia??

It's when the blood sugar levels get low and the puppy gets cold and goes stiff (As if it was dead). It can happen in seconds!

If you administer any glucose/sandoz it helps to raise it's blood sugar levels.

What causes it Sway? Same thing just happened to him again...

Oh again, maybe it's not Hypoglycemia.

My puppy took hours to come right, she is now 3 months old and fighting fit!

What is Hypoglycemia (Low Blood Sugar)?

1. The brain requires glucose (blood sugar) for normal functioning, and unlike many other organs, the brain has a very limited ability to store glucose. As such, the brain is the organ that is most affected when blood sugar gets too low.

2. Low blood sugar can cause seizures

3. Puppies - especially small breed puppies - are particularly susceptible to low blood sugar because their liver is not able to store sufficient amounts of glycogen, as compared with older dogs.

4. Hypoglycemia can be a life-threatening - even fatal - condition, and is known to be a cause of canine seizures. The occurrence of symptoms depends on how far, and how fast, the blood sugar has dropped

5. Treating Hypoglycemia (Low Blood Sugar): During an attack of hypoglycemia your goal is to stay calm, to bring the blood glucose back to a safe level, to continue to observe your dog. You can contact your veterinarian if you feel you need to.

try giving regular drops of your glucose mixture for a bit. I'm all for not letting a pup, or any animal suffer, but this is a pretty special litter, I'd be fighting for a bit longer.

I was dipping my finger into the Sandoz bottle every 5min or so and rubbing it into her gums for a couple of hours.

I then put her down and walked away, what will be will be.

I came back and it was like nothing had every happened, she is nor 3 months old and nawty like her mother. :confused:

ETA In those couple of hours whilst I was rubbing in the Sandoz, the puppy was not doing anything, just laying there.

Edited by SwaY

It's quite odd, like he has died. He goes completely rock hard all over, can't feel a heart beat etc, then he comes good. Found another thread here that describes it exactly http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...65&hl=stiff pups

We'll keep trying Rebanne... he's a dear little thing. Just watched him have a really good feed.

What does the brandy do?

It's quite odd, like he has died. He goes completely rock hard all over, can't feel a heart beat etc, then he comes good. Found another thread here that describes it exactly http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...65&hl=stiff pups

We'll keep trying Rebanne... he's a dear little thing. Just watched him have a really good feed.

What does the brandy do?

:confused: he might be the only one from one of your sires, something to keep in mind. I know you won't let him suffer.

Never having to have used brandy I think it is like a heart starter, bit of a shock to the system. As a non-drinker it would make me gasp. :laugh:

I was thinking of that thread, glad you found it.

Just watched him have a really good feed.

Did he feed or did he try hard and not get anything down?

What does the brandy do?

Alcohol is full of sugar, will do the same as Glucose.

Well, he's moving around, not crying a lot like a hungry pup does, and latching on well now. I'm pretty sure SwaY that he's getting stuff down :-). His tummy isn't round and fat, but it also isn't sunken.

I wonder if it was a bit of a sugar crash that caused the seizures? It was quite a few hours between when he was born and when he finally started to eat. Haven't seen another seizure yet.

Because he's bright, and moving on the teats by himself, I haven't given him any more glucose but will closely monitor over night. Just then he even managed to hang on while one of his brothers tried to push him off.

Think we'll have to supplement feed as there are just not enough teats to go around.

If you take his temperature I would almost bet he is chilled and hypoglycaemic. Never feed any puppy with a temperature of below 34.4, is a death sentence. Give drops of glucose and water and slowly warm the puppy. Brandy helps as it numbs the brain which stops the seizures and gives you time to warm the puppy and get some glucose into him. Good luck, had it a few times and have about a 50/50 survival rate.

Well, he's moving around, not crying a lot like a hungry pup does, and latching on well now. I'm pretty sure SwaY that he's getting stuff down :-). His tummy isn't round and fat, but it also isn't sunken.

A newborn doesn't cry for food - it cries for warmth and contact and to suckle - and it stops sucking when it it tired not when it is full.

It has no "fullness" receptors at this age (for want of a better word lol)

I would be supplement feeding straight away and not waiting.

I wonder if it was a bit of a sugar crash that caused the seizures? It was quite a few hours between when he was born and when he finally started to eat. Haven't seen another seizure yet.

I did suggest Hypoglycemia - sugar crash.

Hypoglycemia??

It's when the blood sugar levels get low and the puppy gets cold and goes stiff (As if it was dead). It can happen in seconds!

If you administer any glucose/sandoz it helps to raise it's blood sugar levels.

This is stiff puppy syndrome - breeders discussed it thoroughly here some years ago. The outlook is not good, but some pups did recover - EVERY single vet had a different opinion about the reasons for the pups going stiff. However, a friend's pup recently went stiff, and despite glucose, died. The vet took blood sugar levels, and it was hypoglycaemia.

Increase the temperature around the pup, and up the amount of sugar/glucose. Rubbing glucodin on the gums cannot hurtl Also supplement feed if possible, but ensure he has time on the mother, preferably before supplement feeding, so he is hungry and drinks. A pup which is hypoglycaemic at this age often has probems which prevent the proper absorption of sugar.

Good luck

Thanks Jed. Did everything you suggested but he's gone :-(. I feel gutted... a horrible thing to watch a pup go through.

:love: I'm very sorry to hear that. Yes it sucks big time but you did everything. How is that little girl going?

Thanks all. I think he just wasn't supposed to be. I probably spent longer than I should getting him going when he was born pretty much dead. Poor little dog.

I counted up this morning - we don't breed a lot, we've had 36 puppies (six litters) in the last ten years, and this is the first pup I've lost. It had to happen one day, but it's pretty gut wrenching.

Blue brindle girl all fine now and is one of the biggest :-). Thankfully, everyone else seems OK. I'll post some photos.... maybe that will cheer me up.