Being Separated From Your Dog

wagsalot

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can ask what time he'll be pre-meded and drop him off closer to that time if it's appropriate. For example we start surgery at about noon so we can cater for 11am drop-offs by worried parents. Most of the clients in our area work though and need an early drop off. A certain percentage would be stoked if we opened at 7am I think. :love:

The very best thing anyone can do is teach their dogs to love the crate. No matter if they were shelter dogs in the beginning you can change their perception later in life no problems. :)

Billie loves the vet. She gets excited if we so much as drive near there. I have had to drop her off for the day a few times and I don't even get a second glance as she pushes her way in behind the counter. Maybe I should appreciate this more!

Does your vet know about your concerns and Riley's history? If he does need to have a longer procedure, hopefully they can work something out to help things go smoothly.

The vets don't know about - only because we've never had to worry before.

Hopefully his tooth will be fine and we won't have to worry, but if it does need looking at, I will speak to the vet about being there while he's either given something to relax him, or while he's knocked out if thats possible, then again be there when he wakes up.

These days I only ever leave him for about 3 hours and he sulks the whole time. Biggest problem I have is that he won't drink if I am not around. so leaving him on a hot day is just not on.

May I suggest you get some help with this - it is not a nice balanced relationship , and could be very hard for your dog if you were to suddenly get ill or something! :love:

a bit OT , but I believe dogs (and owners) should be able to happily spend time apart if needed :love:

I agree. We just create problems for later on if something happens and there is no choice. I could take my dog everywhere if I wanted, I would like to, but I dont, just so we can be parted without too much drama.

I don't like to be away from my dogs just because I miss them.

However due to being out of town if I need to take the dogs in for something, even something simple I can leave them in the car etc on warm days so they get left at the vets for a few hours and I pick them up on the way home. I know Rommi ususally gets heaps of cuddles because they think she is cute.

Lewis I have bever really had to do it as yet and he does have some seperation anxiety but we have been working on it, he can be crated by himself even though he does whinge a bit. He is fine if Rommi is with him though so if he had to stay at the vets for example and was stressed out I would take Rommi in as well. Even though I still work on his seperation anxiety.

I went away for a few days and my Inlaws looked after the dogs - they live just up the hill- and to make sure they were safe, no back yard at the inlaws- they were in their runs and let out very regularly for a good run and play every day.

They are always happy to see me and I them but I think I miss them more than they miss me

These days I only ever leave him for about 3 hours and he sulks the whole time. Biggest problem I have is that he won't drink if I am not around. so leaving him on a hot day is just not on.

May I suggest you get some help with this - it is not a nice balanced relationship , and could be very hard for your dog if you were to suddenly get ill or something! :love:

This has been a worry of mine, have spoken to my vet about it and he has agreed that ES can take Smooch to work with her so he is not left alone for too long. My vet also knows what he has to do if something serious should happen to me. Smooch is now 10years old and the same vet has treated him all his life. Other than this I really don't know what else to do with him.

Oh... it's never easy leaving Charlie at the vets, even if it's for a few hours!! But, when I'm there, I'm all cool, calm and collected because I don't want him to pick up my nervous/worried energy. He knows what's going on, but doesn't fret or anything. I would like to believe it's because he knows I'm always going to come back to get him. Which I always do.

When I get in the car, that's a total different story... that's when I get all worried about him.

Riley will be fine :love:

You will get through this.

I was the same when Misty had his emergancy surgery.

I was a mess the moment I got into the car.

If I had organised a holiday it wouldn't be so bad, I would miss them but it wouldn't stop me going away.

I don't leave my dog at the vet by herself, but luckily I'm in a position where I don't have to do so. She's fine being kenneled and crated, and is happy being left alone, but she hates being manhandled by strangers so I'd just rather be there when she is manipulated/injected/prodded/poked/premedded so no-one (dog or vet!) gets scared or hurt. :)

I hate leaving her for weekends/weeks, but will do so if my uni work or volunteer work demand it. I'm pretty fussy where I leave her. In the past I have left her at kennels where she came home really stressed, but I've now found a good kennels where she always comes home happy, and they sometimes even post pictures of her online so I can see she's happy. It's creature Comforts in Sanson, Manawatu - the place where they do the GAP greyhounds - I highly recommend it!

thought of him being back in the cage, stressing out and it might send him backwards again back into old habits.

Have you thought of ,or tried him with a nice comfy LARGE crate? maybe with door open and beds etc inside ? It would take time, but may help him realise that those wire bars can also mean comfort/food ..and being 'with' family , tho not being touched by them ....

I've tried a crate before - we got hime a collapsible soft one to start off with (less like a cage) but he'd go in there to get a treat, then run back out. We left it up for ages, but he'd never go in on his own accord. The same with kennels - he'd sleep in the rain instead.

If we go away we usually take the dogs with us unless we go somewhere they cant go. We used to get my mum to puppysit but we found the older one fretted alot and refused to eat until we came home so now the the mother-in-law comes to our place to puppy, bird and fish sit while we are away. She loves our dogs just as much as we do and they love her back. The dogs just keep on doing what they do best while we are away and only miss us a little bit.

I happily leave Buster at the kennels, well I miss him like crazy but I know he doesn't mind being there.

However I had to book him in for surgery to remove a bump on his backside a couple of months ago and I had a knot in my stomach all day until I knew he was awake again and okay.

Ollie is 14 in June this year and has cancer...

In Xmas 2005 we had a Uni student stay at home and look after him while we went on a family holiday (first since we bought him) - it was horrible being away (she came to meet him and got to know him by dropping in each week for about 8 weeks before we went). The trip was planned for 10 days but we only stayed away for 6... That might seem sad to some but he had just been dxd with cancer and we all really missed him...

I have left him over night a few times but always with family.

Until earlier this year I moved away and took him with me - so when I had to go away for work, I had no choice but to put him in a kennel, for the first time in his 13 years he stayed with someone he did not know...

NEVER again... I picked him up from a place that was recommended by quite a few people and he was covered in $hit - really.. God only knows the last time they cleaned his run because it was full of crap.. He was on a special diet, that I supplied, with his meds and his bedding.. I got back ALL his meds (they forgot to give them to him) and by the weight he had dropped in the 4 days he was there, I doubt he ate much either...

I was horrified and swear I will never leave him in a kennel again, no matter how good some say it is...

Our lovely new vet up here has taken to him and said he can come stay there for a few days if I have to go away again as he too could not believe how bad it was for Ollie...

I had to bath him 3 times to get the $hit out of his coat...

I've never enjoyed leaving the dogs at the vet's but I guess we're lucky that they're in the same suburb, they phone us with updates as needed and they're really kind to our two.

Elbie was left there for a day when having his paw stitched up and getting desexed - poor thing was very bewildered.

Hoover was left there for a day to be desexed and was very confused when we picked him up. Another time, Hoover needed his eyes checked and we didn't have an appointment and couldn't wait around because we had things to attend to so they let us drop him off at 9am and pick him up a few hours later i.e. the vet saw him when she had time. I don't like leaving them there but I figure that they need the medical treatment and that need outweighs a short period of discomfort.

KtB - bewildered and confused after desexing has not much to do with being away from their humans, and everything to do with having a general pre meds and a general anaesthetic -nothing much works properly for some time, including brains :laugh:

*Hand Up In Air*

I am a Sook.

I have left her at work for a couple of hours to do shopping. She used to whine the whole time, but she has gotten better realising now that I will come back.

I leave her at the BF's, that took some adjusting (for her) and she is crated. She is okay with it now...although she cracks a sad look when I leave her.

When I leave her at home for a short time, she is also crated. She used to bark a lot, but now she is quiet as she knows we will come home. But again, cracks a sad pouty look. (It makes me feel so bad).

I'm trying to plan for a dog free holiday. I have to admit, it is tearing me up. I'm really worried how she would react to going into a boarding kennel. I'm planning on leaving her for trial runs of one night and hoping she will relax as she realises we ARE coming to get her. And not abandoning her like her previous owner.

But where ever possible...Dory comes with us.

I don't think it is healthy for the dog or the owner to not be able to spend time apart without stressing etc

When my dog was at the vets for his desexing and pexy, I have to confess to forgetting all about him being there - I have complete and utter confidence in my vet so have no issues leaving him there.

I also like being able to go away (leaving dog in kennel or with house sitter) without having to have my whole routine revolving around the dog - I enjoy the break from the responsibility.

My dog is part of my life, he is not my life :laugh:

Edited by Danois